Devil Wears Prada

Meryl Streep Dazzled in The Devil Wears Prada

Jul 21, 2006 (Updated Dec 27, 2009)

Pros:Streep. Hathaway. Tucci. Entertaining movie.

Cons:A few slow places. I didn't really like Andy's friends.

The Bottom Line: The Devil Wears Prada was a very entertaining movie that fans of Meryl Streep should see at least once.

I have never really been interested in high fashion. I have seen some pieces that looked really nice, but there is no way I could afford them. If by some way I could afford some of them, I seriously doubt I would ever find any of those things in my size since I am not a member of the walking toothpick brigade. I don’t own any designer shoes and doubt I ever will since for me, shoes that fit are even harder for me to find than clothes. Even though I really have no interest in fashion, I did want to see The Devil Wears Prada, a movie set in the high fashion world. The main reason I wanted to see it was because Meryl Streep was in it.

Andrea (Andy to her friends) Sachs had recently graduated from college and was living with her boyfriend Nate who worked as a chef. Andy wanted a job in the journalism field but she wasn’t having any luck finding one. She was finally sent for an interview at Runway, a fashion magazine, to be the second assistant to the editor in chief, Miranda Priestly. Runway was the top fashion magazine and Miranda influenced all kinds of fashion trends based on what she featured in the magazine. Miranda also had a reputation for being very demanding and very hard to work for. Andy basically had no interest in fashion and even sort of looked down on women who were interested in it. Andy took the job because she couldn’t find anything else, not really believing when people told her that many other young woman would kill for the job and the opportunities it could bring in the future. Andy learned firsthand just how demanding Miranda could be and found herself working very long hours and dealing with Emily, Miranda’s first assistant. Andy started to change, which ultimately lead to problems in her relationships with Nate and her friends.

The Devil Wears Prada was based on the book of the same name written by Lauren Weisberger. I have not read the book, so I don’t know what or how much was changed for the movie version. I am considering getting the book now since I did enjoy the movie overall. The book was considered fiction, but many people think it was really based on Weisberger’s own experiences when she worked as an assistant to Anna Wintour, the editor in chief of Vogue. Wintour has held that position for several years and has a reputation much like Miranda did. I have seen a little bit about Wintour on television and the similarities between her and the character of Miranda were there. I saw a picture online of Wintour’s actual office at Vogue right by a picture of Miranda’s office in the movie and they looked almost identical. Weisberger denied that she based on the book on the time she spent working for Wintour. It’s just a little hard for me to believe that Weisberger didn’t base her book on what she experienced when holding the same job she gave her main character.

Fashion obviously played a huge part in The Devil Wears Prada. Miranda always arrived at work wearing designer outfits and shoes, which looked really nice. All of the other women working at Runway were very well dressed as well, including designer heels. Andy was very out of place when she first started working there, believing that what she wore didn’t make any difference. Miranda never specifically told Andy to dress better, but she definitely noticed and it was clear by the look on her face what she thought. Once Andy started dressing differently, she wore very nice outfits as well. I wouldn’t know a Dior from a Prada outfit, so I have no idea what designs anyone was wearing unless the designer was mentioned. Some of the shoes did look nice and might even consider trying to get if I had the money. Even if I could afford a pair and somehow managed to find them in my size, then I’d have to figure out how to walk in them without falling flat on my face and breaking every bone in my body. So I don’t think I’ll be getting any of those shoes anytime soon. The fact that the fashion world revolves around very small sizes was brought up a few times. Andy was a normal weight and wore a size six and she was considered fat by the standards. I’d hate to think what I’d be considered. I did enjoy the movie even though I know next to nothing about fashion and really aren’t interested in it.

The Devil Wears Prada focused on Andy and her experience working at Runway. For a lot of the movie, she was running some sort of errand for Miranda. Some were more logical and connected to the magazine, like when Andy was sent to pick up skirts from a designer for a shoot. Other times the errands had nothing to do with the magazine and were even impossible to do, like getting Miranda a flight out of Miami during a hurricane or getting copies of the unpublished manuscript of the new Harry Potter book for Miranda’s twin daughters. There really wasn’t as much related to actually putting together an issue of a very popular magazine as I thought there would have been before seeing the movie. I did think the things that were shared were interesting. I think it would have been nice if the movie showed a bit more about what went into getting an issue of such a popular magazine ready to publish. The pace did seem to drag during a few scenes. It wasn’t so bad that I got bored with the movie though. There was something with the ending that I didn’t really like and I can’t put my finger on exactly what it was.

When the movie started, Andy was living with her boyfriend Nate. It seemed like they had been together for a while, though it was never said for how long. Very little of the relationship was shown since most of the movie was devoted to Andy and her job. Andy was working long hours, so the relationship did suffer. The relationship was supposed to be already established when the movie started, but since so little of it was shared during the movie, I didn’t care one way or the other if they worked things out. It did seem like the movie was trying to set up a love triangle once Andy met Christian Thompson, a reporter. That really didn’t work either in my opinion. Christian did flirt a lot with Andy and seemed to be determined to get her to go out with him even though he knew she was involved. There were a few sexual situations without any actual sex scenes being added to the movie. One scene did make it clear that two characters had sex and that was it for the sexual situations. One male character was shown wearing only a towel and that was it for sex scenes.

Andy was out of her element when got the job at Runway and struggled to fit in and do a good job. She didn’t take the job seriously for a while because she didn’t think working for a fashion magazine was a real job for someone who wanted to get into journalism. Andy did work hard once she put her mind to doing a good job because of the connections the job could give her. She did go through a bit of a transformation once she decided to start dressing differently. Andy wasn’t ugly before the transformation, but she did look a little sloppy at times. Anne Hathaway played another character that went through a transformation in The Princess Diaries. Hathaway did a good job playing Andy.

Nate was Andy’s live in boyfriend and a cook. He was rarely in the movie, and when he was around, he didn’t seem that supportive of Andy’s job. It was demanding, but it had the potential to help launch her into the career she wanted. He got mad when Andy had to work late and even tried to get her to quit. Having a successful career like Andy hoped to have eventually took a lot of hard work to achieve. He just didn’t seem to get that. I do wonder if he would have been so quick to quit a demanding job if it could help him with his career. He came across as being whiney at times. I just didn’t like him that much. Maybe it was because he wasn’t in that much of the movie and it never showed just what Andy saw in him. I know it is really minor, but it bugged me that he always had a face full of stubble. It never progressed to a beard and it just bugged me. Adrian Grenier just seemed to be around to serve as eye candy.

Lily and Doug were two friends of Andy and Nate. I think they were supposed to be a really close group of friends. It just didn’t really come across that way in the movie since Lily and Doug weren’t around that much. When they were in a scene, they were mostly putting down Andy’s job, even when they happily grabbed up things that Andy brought them from the office - like the $1,900 handbag she gave Lily. They were more than willing to take the expensive gifts and then turn right around and try to keep Andy from answering her cell phone when Miranda was calling. That just made Lily and Doug look childish. I didn’t like them at all. There wasn’t anything special about Tracie Thomas or Rich Sommer in the parts.

Emily had been working for Miranda for a while and had recently been promoted to first assistant. Emily dressed very well, worked hard, and was looking forward to going to Paris with Miranda. Emily talked down to Andy many times, especially concerning her clothes. Emily was nasty at times though she did act nice once or twice. Emily Blunt was fine in the part. Nigel had worked at Runway with Miranda for years. He had a blunt discussion with Andy once and then went on to help her with her transformation. He did act nicer to her than many of the others. Stanley Tucci was really good in the part. He has played so many different characters and he’s been good as all of them. Simon Baker turned up in a few scenes as Christian, a man that was trying to romance Andy.

Miranda worked hard to make each issue of Runway perfect. She had very definite ideas about what she wanted in the magazine. She had been the editor in chief for many years and helped to set fashion trends. She was demanding and expected a lot from her staff, which gave her a reputation for being almost impossible to work for among other things. She had scarified a lot to make Runway a success, and very few people even took that into consideration. A few little things helped to show that she did have a human side as well. Being the editor in chief of any magazine, let alone one as successful as Runway, required a lot of hard work and had to be stressful. Miranda was given credit for the success of the magazine, but if it had failed, she would have been the one taking the blame. She had a tendency to rattle off a lot of orders around the office and she let her staff know when she wasn’t happy. She never yelled, but she managed to make her displeasure clear in other ways. Some people may want to dismiss Miranda as just a witch of a boss, but there was more to her than that. No one would have talked about Miranda the way they did (including calling her a word that rhymes with witch) if she had been a man. Meryl Streep was amazing in the part. She was very believable as Miranda and I can’t imagine anyone else in the part. Streep conveyed so much with her facial expressions or just a few words. She was perfect in the part and I wouldn’t be surprised if she was nominated for an Oscar for it. I still think she should have been nominated for her part in The Manchurian Candidate (2004).

Main Cast

Meryl Streep - Miranda Priestly
Tracie Thomas - Lily
Stanley Tucci - Nigel

David Frankel - Director

The Devil Wears Prada was an entertaining movie and I enjoyed it even though I don’t really care about fashion. The few problems I had with the movie didn’t keep me from liking it. I do think it is worth seeing, especially for fans of Hathaway or Streep.

Anne Hathaway Movies
Hoodwinked ~ The Princess Diaries ~ The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement ~

Stanley Tucci Movies
America's Sweethearts ~ Lucky Number Slevin ~Robots ~ The Terminal ~

The Devil Wears Prada Don't Let The Devil Speak Rubber Bracelet

Black rubber bracelet with white The Devil Wears Prada Don't Let The Devil Speak text design.

DEVIL WEARS PRADA/LOVE & OTHER DRUGS/ SKU: CHEV28928623

27 Dresses/The Devil Wears Prada DVD

27 Dresses/The Devil Wears Prada DVD

This collection includes the fashion forward comedies 27 DRESSES and THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA.
Family Video

The Devil Wears Prada DVD Widescreen

The Devil Wears Prada DVD Widescreen

Sporting silvery hair, a vast collection of fur coats, an encyclopedic knowledge of all things fashionable, and a killer smile, Miranda is full of wic...
Toys R Us

The Devil Wears Prada Ram Skull T-Shirt

Black T-shirt from The Devil Wears Prada with a large ram skull design.

Devil Wears Prada Blu-ray Disc

Devil Wears Prada Blu-ray Disc

A drastic improvement on Lauren Weisberger's bestselling novel THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA showcases Meryl Streep's knack for combining humor and sadness. W...
Family Video

The Devil Wears Prada Ram Skull T-Shirt

Black T-shirt from The Devil Wears Prada with a large ram skull design.