National Geographic Video - Eternal Enemies: Lions and Hyenas (DVD, 2006) Reviews

National Geographic Video - Eternal Enemies: Lions and Hyenas (DVD, 2006)

+$4.97 shipping Walmart.com

Lions and hyenas, oh my!

Sep 6, 2003

Pros:Stunning footage, no sugarcoating, debunks several myths about the hyena

Cons:definitely not for the squeamish

The Bottom Line: If you catch this on the National Geographic Channel, be sure to watch it. For those of you into intense nature documentaries, you will not be disappointed.

I have first watched National Geographic's "Eternal Enemies: Lions and Hyenas" back in 1992. I picked it up at a local library as I was, and still am, fascinated with both lions and hyenas. I taped this National Geographic special not long ago, and have watched it so often one year that the tape was starting to wear out.

Narrated by Powers Boothe, this video focuses the often violent competitive struggle between the African Lion and the Spotted Hyena. Everything from their birth to death and is shown in this excellent documentary. There is no sugarcoating, everything is shown as it is. Unlike some nature documentaries, applying human terms to animals, is limited here. This offers the viewers a chance to feel like they are right in the bush with the animals -- an often frightening sensation!

The hyenas are shown as successful and powerful predators, not the cowardly scavengers that they are often thought as. The clan of hyenas are referred to as the Southern Clan, lead by a powerful female who kills her sister at birth. The reason for her doing this is told in the video, and I don't want to spoil it for those who want to find out about it themselves.

The group of lions the documentary also follows is known as the Central Pride. It is led by two dominant males known for their hatred of hyenas, one of their names means "He Who Greets with Fire." Also in this pride is a lioness who struggles for life after being bit by a cobra and has to look after her cubs at the same time.

As a hardcore nature lover with understanding of life and death, I was not terribly bothered by the scenes with animals attacking and often killing other animals. However, those who are squeamish might want to skip this one ;)

All in all, this is an excellent documentary with all the excellent National Geographic footage. There is some touching, extremely intense and sometimes humourous moments here. It is very unique from any other lion/hyena documentary that I have seen.

The bloodfeud of these rivals is captured here in stunning night and day photography. Rarely is hatred manifested in nature, but here is witness to th...