Never Tease a Weasel by Jean Conder Soule (2007, Hardcover)

Never Tease a Weasel by Jean Conder Soule

Aug 24, 2007

Pros:rhyming text, lesson of don't tease

Cons:illustrations are ugly

The Bottom Line: This book's illustrations don't do the silly text justice.

Of all the things you do, you must remember to never tease a weasel because it isn't very nice. This book is devoted to that concept and you will have to read it to find out why.

Never Tease a Weasel is all written in rhyme and includes lots of different animals. Kittens can get mittens, and a fox can get socks, but never tease a weasel. And the options and warnings repeat themselves with goats, pigs, rabbits and more.

The text is written by Jean Conder Soule, copyright of 1964, and it flows quite well as you read it aloud. I think the book is intended for children aged 2-4 and when I read it with my almost three year old he seemed to enjoy listening to it. There is one line on each page and the last word of each sentence rhymes with the last word of the sentence across the page from it.

The illustrations are by George Booth, copyright of 2007, and are slightly crude, but they do match the text and can be pretty hilarious. How often do you see a picture of a goat wearing a coat lined with a mink collar? There are a couple of (in my opinion ugly) kids in several of the scenes. One boy has red hair. Another girl has brown/black hair with beads in it. I really do not like the illustrations. They aren't pleasing to the eye, they look distorted even if they do present silly situations with animals I didn't enjoy them. The animals were not easily recognizable to my son, even with the sentences with the name of the animal in it.

Overall I think this book has a cute story with a moral of don't tease people (or animals), but the illustrations are distracting and the book could have been so much better with different illustrations. The whole book is quite silly but in this format I just can't recommend this book.

CafePress Weasel (curve-grey) White T-Shirt

CafePress Weasel (curve-grey) White T-Shirt

100% preshrunk cotton6.1 ozCrew NecklineStandard FitMachine Wash Cold
CafePress.com

Weasel Getter Traps 2 Humane Weasel Traps Ermine Weasel Trapping Box Dk 2. .012b

Weasel Getter traps 2 Humane weasel traps Ermine weasel Trapping box DK 2. .012B Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Four Weasel Getter traps Humane wea...

CafePress Weasel Light T-Shirt

CafePress Weasel Light T-Shirt

Classic T-Shirt100% preshrunk cotton, Ash Grey is a 90/10 Cotton/Poly Blend6.1 ozTagless, Crew NecklineStandard FitMachine Wash Cold

CafePress WEASELS ROCK Black T-Shirt

CafePress WEASELS ROCK Black T-Shirt

Dark T-shirt100% preshrunk cotton, Charcoal Grey is 50% cotton/50% polyesterCrew NecklineStandard FitMachine Wash Cold

CafePress Weasel Productions Ash Grey T-Shirt

CafePress I Am Weasel Light T-Shirt

CafePress I Am Weasel Light T-Shirt

Stripe Tease Tank One-Piece Swimsuit

Stripe Tease Tank One-Piece Swimsuit

Slip onto a sporty swim look with Reebok's Stripe Tease one-piece swimsuit. Features a stylish striped design, a built-in anti-bounce sports bra with ...
Stein Mart
CafePress Never Tease Wildlife Dark T-Shirt/blue text

CafePress Never Tease Wildlife Dark T-Shirt/blue text

CafePress Weasels Rule! Yellow T-Shirt

CafePress Weasels Rule! Yellow T-Shirt

Classic T-Shirt6.1 oz. 100% cottonTagless t-shirt by HanesStandard fitMachine wash cold