Nicholas Perricone - The Perricone Prescription: A Physician's 28-Day Program for Total Body and Face Rejuvenation

Perky Skin via The Perricone Prescription

Sep 6, 2002 (Updated Oct 22, 2002)

Pros:Easy to Read & Understand

Cons:Hard to Follow Diet Restrictions

The Bottom Line: Perky skin is possible via the The Perricone Prescription but the dietary restrictions are challenging.

So my good friend Liz drops by sits a book on my entry table and exclaims, “You’ll love this one! *wink* or… You’ll think it’s ludicrous, boring and good material for the fireplace.” Since I don’t have a fireplace – much less a firepit – I hoped for the best. Considering that Liz and I disagree on book preferences approximately 53% of the time, I understood what she meant. This was her little ditty for indicating to me that she liked The Perricone Prescription: A Physician's 28-Day Program for Total Body and Face Rejuvenation but wasn’t sure if I would.

Apparently Liz received this book amidst a bundle of gift basket gags from her co-workers, for her 45th birthday. Initially she was less than impressed that among depends and other products meant to take a poke at her, this book was included and she didn’t know if to take it serious or not. However she shared with me that after reading this publication – and trying the "Three-Day Nutritional Face-Lift” that Nicholas Perricone, MD, FACN provides – she determined that it was the saving attribute to the basket of drivel. With the exception of the Longaberger basket that housed it all.

Considering that Liz is 10 years older than I am – and that wrinkles aren’t a current challenge for me – I questioned why she felt this book would be beneficial to me. She stated that due to her experience as an Esthetician & Lancôme representative, she felt that Nicholas Perricone, M.D. offered some wisdom filled advice that was likely to show results for women of any age. Further she mentioned that the side benefits people are claiming to notice after sticking to The Perricone Prescription include better health and increased energy levels. Apparently she had followed the regimen for approximately two weeks and was noticing a difference (less redness around the nostrils, and decreased puffiness around her eyes). Liz concluded with summarizing her feelings that ‘the plan’ is appropriate for various age brackets, is easy to understand, fairly simple to apply toward your daily life, and a good way to develop better skin appearance.

Credintials
Nicholas Perricone, MD, FACN, is a board certified clinical and research dermatologist.

My Initial Reaction / Synopsis
During my initial browse of the book content I admit to being intrigued with regard to the wealth of knowledge that Nicholas Perricone, MD, FACN maintains. I appreciated that the text was presented in a manner that the layperson could understand. Immediately I was able to see how the theories presented could benefit women of all ages. The information contained really did seem capable of yielding beneficial result. The number one challenge I had was that it appeared you had to be willing to exclude a majority of foods & increase or add certain ones. I like pasta so excluding that wasn’t appealing. Also, I really don’t care for seafood so his implication of including a high volume discouraged me. Secondly I was concerned with regard to the amount of supplements that he recommends taking (and the process of taking them everyday at morning, lunch & dinner), but I appreciate the information he provides on vitamins and minerals. It was nice that he made some over-the-counter facial product suggestions. However it is clear that Dr. Perricone offers his own line of skincare products and supplements. The pictures provided in the book offer a nice assortment of before and after representation, allowing the reader to view benefits gleaned from the 3-day and 28-day facelift regimens.

Table of Contents
Go for The Glow
Dr. Perricones 28-day Wrinkle-Free Program
The Ageless Future: Developing Technologies

Details
Within the pages of this book dermatologist Nicholas Perricone, M.D., proposes a 3-day dietary change followed by a 28-day program aimed toward preventing and possibly reversing the signs of aging on our largest organ – skin. He suggests that by following the diet and exercise regimen proposed, combining this with the appropriate skin care system, and attempting to reduce stress, that we will reap the benefit of improved skin quality. He is so confident in his theories that her presents the three-day jump-start diet aimed at allowing the reader to witness results rapidly. Please realize that he doesn’t promise miracles, rather he provides the format for applying life style changes that he has witnessed work on his patients. This man appears to be brilliant in the field and yet this book is laid forth in a format that I feel the layperson will understand.

The biggest factor is that you have to be willing to put the plan into action. Because of this I am including a lengthy list of his suggested dietary regimen to clue you toward the likelihood of if this would even be applicable for you. Exclusion of certain foods is important for this plan to work. In fact Dr. Perricone is insistent that the exclusion list of foods needs to be purged from the home completely – supporting this with his opinion that the foods aren’t good for anyone.

The three-day jump start diet – AKA Nutritional Face-lift – places primary focus on dietary changes. Nicholas Perricone, MD, FACN tells us that food choice is our primary partner toward skin condition. That the choices we make coincide with wrinkling, sags and skin tone. This jump start diet is based from research that this physician has conducted, advice he has provided to numerous people, and the end result of better skin appearance/health. Information regarding the extensive scientific research that Nicholas Perricone, MD, FACN conducted is provided. He offers this jump-start as a test drive toward the month long program and refers to it as a "Three-Day Nutritional Face-Lift.” Followed properly, he claims that we should see a difference with regard to issues such as inflammation.

Strong emphasis is placed on eating foods that contain a glycemic index of 50 or less. Consumption of salmon, halibut, and trout is encouraged. This is where I – personally – don’t know if I can maintain the dietary suggestions. Seafood isn’t a selection that I prefer. However I do credit Nicholas Perricone, M.D. for inclusion of recipes that appear tasty and simple to achieve. Because dietary change appeared to be crucial to success on this program I have included a large sample of text. I feel this is necessary for arriving at a purchase decision. It is my opinion that if the diet suggestions aren’t worthy considerations for you then you should pass on purchasing this book.

I will mention that the portraits inserted within this section provide a nice sampling of how the system works. We view 13 women, before and after pictures. There is notable change in redness, inflammation, crows feet, and overall skin appearance. Honestly I continue to notice a difference with Liz, most significantly the inflammation portion. So I believe the pictures provided here are realistic.

This author is specific in suggestions:
FOOD LIST
Foods to Avoid
Alcoholic beverages, bacon, bananas, bagels, beef, beer, brandy, butter, breads, carrots, cream cheese, candy, cake, chocolate, coffee, cookies, cereals (except oatmeal), cornstarch, corn, corn syrup, croissants, dried fruit, duck, doughnuts, fruit juice, fried foods, flour, gin, grapes, goose, granola, hard cheese (except for feta and parmesan), honey, hot dogs, ice cream, jams and jellies, lamb, mango, margarine, molasses, mayonnaise, muffins, noodles, oranges, pancakes, papaya, pastry, peas, pie, pizza, pasta, pickles, popcorn, pork, potatoes, pudding, pumpkin, raisins, relish, rice, rum, sherbet, soda, scones, sherry, sugar, tacos, veal, waffles, watermelon, whiskey, wine, whole milk

Foods to Enjoy
Almonds, asparagus, avocado, beans (black, kidney, lima), apples, bell peppers, broccoli, broccoli rabe, blueberries, blackberries, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cantaloupe, clams, cottage cheese (lowfat), crab meat, chicken (white meat), capon, cauliflower, celery, Chilean sea bass, cod fish, coriander, cucumbers, dill, egg whites, eggplant, endive, escarole, fat-free milk, feta cheese, fennel, flounder, filet of sole, garlic, grapefruit, ginger, halibut, honeydew melon, kiwi fruit, kale, legumes, lentil soup, lobster, lemons, leafy greens, lettuce, monkfish, mushrooms, mussels, nectarines, nuts, oatmeal, onions, olive oil, olives, parmesan cheese, peaches, pecans, parsley, pears, plums, radish, raspberries, spinach, scallops, Swiss chard, scallions, snow peas, smoked salmon, sardines, shrimp, salmon, salmon trout, soy beans, sour cream, swordfish, tea (black and especially green), tomatoes, tomato juice, tofu, turkey, yogurt (non-fat, unflavored), walnuts, zucchini

Menu Plan
The Perricone nutritional program provides the foods that reduce inflammation and avoids those that provoke it. Study the lists of foods that are approved and those that need to be avoided.
There are 9 simple rules to the program:
1. Each meal needs to include lean protein and carbohydrates (in the form of fruits and/or vegetables), and essential fatty acids from olive oil or fresh unsalted nuts.
2. Be sure to include up to one tablespoon of olive oil and one cup of yogurt 3x/week. (You can eat the yogurt for breakfast or as a snack between meals)
3. Women need to consume 14 ounces of lean protein; two servings of fruit and at least 4 servings of approved vegetables each day. (a vegetable serving is 1 cup raw or 1/2 cup cooked. A fruit serving is one small apple or pear, 1 1/2-cup berries or 1/2 cup cut up fruit). Men need the same number of servings of fruits and vegetables, but should take in 16-18 ounces of protein/day.
4. Drink 8-10 glasses of water/day.
5. Take prescribed supplements at the recommended times, rather than all at once.
6. Calories and quantities should be consumed evenly throughout the day.
7. Don't go longer than 4-5 hours without eating to keep blood sugar level.
8. Don't add fat to food when you cook.
9. Don't cheat-- it will show up on your skin before it pads your hips!

He also explains we will see change in energy levels. He provides insightful information with regard to the fact that women have less of the neurotransmitter called serotonin. The educational inclusion allows us to realize that most often women err by eating an abundance of carbohydrate rich foods. We learn that this causes a temporary raise in serotonin but not the longevity needed to assist with emotional well being and improved skin condition. We learn that the increased carbohydrate intake that most women succumb to is responsible for skin tone loss and weight gain. The importance of consuming the proper amount of proteins is addressed. In summary, he discusses the importance of introducing and maintaining a diet with appropriate protein, low glycemic carbohydrates, and essential fatty acids.

Although he puts emphasis on the food factor Dr. Perricone offers interesting and helpful information with regard to skincare products. He cautions with regard to many over-the-counter – expensive skincare lines too – regimens. We are provided with clear reasons as to why the ingredients often cause redness and inflammation. Naturally Dr. Perricone offers a skincare line, however he makes recommendation for over-the-counter purchases. This includes listing of skin cleansers, moisturizers, and a few other items. For example he suggests the following skincare bars: Cetaphil, Dove, Oil of Olay, Basis, and Neutrogena.

He provides extensive listing of topical anti-inflammatory suggestions. These include Vitamin C, Ester, Alpha Lipoic Acid, DMAE, PPC, and Tocotrienol. Explanation is provided with regard to why these are suggested. This section is educational and likely to enable wise regimen choices. This section includes 11 portraits of women treated with DMAE.

Another major contributor to the plan presented by Dr. Perricone is requirement of supplements. The recommendations include: Alpha Lipoic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, B2, B5, B3, B6, B12, B3, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Calcium, Chromium, Selenium, Magnesium, acetyl-L-carnitine, CoQ10, L-Carnitine, Glutamine, Tumeric, and OPC-GLA. Dr. Perricone provides immense information with regard to each supplement recommendation. He also suggests quantity and a plan for taking the mass supplements. This includes taking portions at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

The exercise information in this publication is limited but is explained well. There are some illustrations that will assist toward total understanding of suggestions provided. Discussion from Dr. Perricone with regard to technology and skincare provides information on issues such as biotin treatments. There are other treatments discussed and we are reminded that change needs to happen on the inside – AKA the food plan – in order to see lasting results.

Parting Thoughts
Overall I feel that The Perricone Prescription is believable and after seeing Liz follow the diet regimen for approximately three weeks I do notice a difference in her complexion. Prior to this plan she was incredibly puffy in the eye region. There is now a noticeable difference. In addition she is correct about the redness along the sides of her nose and along her cheekbones. She also states that she has lost 7 pounds and feels more energetic.

There are many challenges for me with regard to starting a program such as this during the summer and early fall time. For me summer is a time of unorganized schedules, family outings, and vacation times and now early fall presents some other challenges. Excuses? Perhaps! In reality I do struggle with changing dietary routine in the manner he suggests. Gosh so many of the foods that I like are on the taboo list. Because of this I am not very motivated to give The Perricone Prescription my all. The major stumbling block for me – as mentioned above – is my lack of seafood adoration.

Regardless of my apprehensions mentioned I still recommend The Perricone Prescription: A Physician's 28-Day Program for Total Body and Face Rejuvenation and honestly feel that Nicholas Perricone, M.D. put massive research into the formulation of the program he suggests. Also it is obvious that he has witnessed results – via the stories provided. Further I am able to see the results possible via my friend, and share her excitement for the improvements reaped.

Overall this book is easy to read, very informative, and extremely interesting. I do feel that even if you are unable to implement the entire theory presented that you will benefit from the information gleaned. All elements considered I recommend this publication for those who feel the dietary recommendations are permissible. Also The Perricone Prescription is suggested for those who enjoy reading publications that present overhaul type of approaches. It is my feeling that the most appreciative audience will be those ages 35 and over, with the most benefit realized for those 40 and over. But this book does provide insight that all age spans can glean from. If the program works for women it is certain to be preventative for those 20 and up.

Although wrinkles aren’t a current challenge, my overall skin tone could use some revitalizing therefore I know that I could benefit from The Perricone Prescription. However in honesty I will implement a revised version, focusing on putting more importance on protein input, attempting to lower glycemic carbohydrate intake and limit the foods to avoid.

Another Nicholas Perricone, M.D. Publication