Nutro Products Nutro Max Weight Control Formula Dry Dog Food

It helped Angel lose weight - Nutro Max Natural Chicken and Rice Adult Weight Control

Jun 6, 2012

Pros:Helps overweight dogs lose weight and less active dogs maintain a healthy weight

Cons:None really

The Bottom Line: I definitely recommend this to help your dog lose that excess weight or maintain a healthy weight.

Our dog Angel got a bit overweight with grazing on her food all day and her lazy lifestyle.  Our Vet recommended we cut down on her food to help her lose weight and that's when I started looking around at dry foods that help with weight control.  I looked at a lot of different brands and we finally decided on Nutro Max Natural Chicken and Rice Adult Weight Control, which is specifically formulated for helping control weight in overweight and less active dogs.  I am happy to say that after a bit of trial and error on our part, Angel has started to lose some of that unhealthy weight, she's still overweight, but she is slowly going in the right direction.

Having a mix breed it's always difficult to tell what the "ideal" weight should be.  When we rescued Angel as a puppy from the animal shelter, they told us she was a border collie/lab mix and while we don't doubt she has those breeds in her, we also think she may have a little pointer and pit bull in her too.  She is what you would call a medium sized dog, more on the border collie height rather than the lab and she has a big chest.  I think we didn't really notice her waist slowly disappearing mainly because of her large chest and she never really looked like she had a large belly.

The Vet told us she should weigh about 35 pounds, he was mainly going by what we were told her breed mix was and her height, imagine our surprise when she tipped the scale at 55 pounds!  Needless to say he said she had to lose weight and we needed to cut down the amount we fed her, he never said we had to go with a weight control formula, but just needed to do something to help her lose weight.

We bought the Nutro Max Natural Chicken and Rice Adult Weight Control and went by the feeding guidelines that said she should have 2 cups per day for losing weight, which was about the same amount we were feeding her with her other dry food.  We would fill her bowl in the morning with the two cups and not fill it again until the next morning and for some reason she still wasn't really losing any weight.  We were perplexed as to why she wasn't losing weight, she had no health conditions that would hinder weigh loss and then we saw what a big problem was.  Apparently when she finished her food, she was sneaking into the kitchen and snacking on the cats food!  Not wanting to disrupt the cats feeding schedule, we moved their bowl of food from the floor to on top of the washing machine, which they love to jump up on.  It took them a little bit to get used to the change in location of their food, but it allowed us to leave their food out all day since they are small grazers and kept it out of reach of Angel.  It worked!  Angel slowly started losing the weight and she actually has a waist now.  She still has some more weight to lose. but she is on the right track.

The great thing about Nutro Max Natural Chicken and Rice Adult Weight Control is that it helps your dog lose weight at first and then helps them maintain that healthy weight once they reach it.  They list feeding guidelines for weight reduction and weight control, so you don't have to switch foods once your dog gets to their ideal weight and it can be found easily at your local pet food store like Petsmart or Petco, as well as at online retailers.

Nutrition wise, as with all Nutro products, it has everything your dog needs and contains NO by-products or ground corn.  They also add L-Carnitine to help burn fat, which helps in the weight reduction and helps less active dogs keep a healthy weight.  There's a long list of ingredients, mainly because of all the vitamins and minerals, but I'll only list the first six to give you an idea of what this food has in it....Ground Whole Wheat, Chicken Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Rice, Rice Bran and Corn Gluten Meal.

The kibble size is perfect for a medium sized dog or one that doesn't like large kibble, however I think a small dog would have trouble with it.  For some dog owners this may not be a big deal but for Angel it is since she does not like large kibble and kibble size does factor into which dry kibble we get for her.

Depending on your needs, Nutro Max Natural Chicken and Rice Adult Weight Control comes in three sizes, 5, 15 and 35 pound bags.  Because Angel is a medium sized dog and we don't want to have to run to the store every week, we buy the 35 pound bag for about $32 at Petsmart.

We now feed Angel, twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening and her waist is becoming more and more visible as time goes on.  I definitely recommend Nutro Max Natural Chicken and Rice Adult Weight Control for anyone that is looking to help their overweight dog lose weight or help their less active dog maintain a healthy weight.  If it can help Angel, it can help your dog too!

Nutro Max Weight Control

Nutro Max Weight Control

Nutro Max Adult Formula

Nutro Max Adult Formula

Nutro - Max Indoor Weight Control Dry Cat Food, Cat

Nutro - Max Indoor Weight Control Dry Cat Food, Cat

Nutro Max Cat Indoor Weight Control Formula is designed for overweight, less active adult cats BENEFITS: Natural Ingredients with Vitamins
PetFlow

Nutro Max Mini Chunks

Nutro Max Mini Chunks

Nutro Max Indoor Weight Control Formula Dry Cat Food, 6-lb bag

Nutro Max Indoor Weight Control Formula Dry Cat Food, 6-lb bag

Nutro Max Indoor Weight Control Formula Dry Cat Food, 6-lb bag; MAX Cat Food is available in a variety of flavors and formulas that deliver premium nu...
Chewy.com

Nutro Max Senior Dry Dog Food

Nutro Max Senior Dry Dog Food

Nutro Max Senior Dry Dog Food provides your dog 100% complete and balanced nutrition. We fortify MAX Senior with every vitamin and mineral your dog ne...
PetFoodDirect