Canon PC-420 Copier

Canon Portable Copier is Great for the home

Aug 9, 2000 (Updated May 10, 2010)

Pros:Compact, maintenance free, inexpensive.

Cons:Black and white copies only.

The Bottom Line: This machine has been a lifesaver for me and I highly recommend this Canon product without hesitation.

A Small Table Top Copier
The Canon PC 420 is a great little copier for the home or small home office. At the rate of 4 copies per minute it is certainly not suitable for any major business however. It measures approximately 15"x15" without the paper tray,
so it is small, compact, and takes up very little room. Ours sits atop a desk.

The Canon PC420
There is no setting up to this at all. Take it out of the box, attach the tray to the end, flip down the small feed tray, plug it in and you are done! Amazing, isn't it?

This is an extremely quiet machine! All of the copies I have made come out with great copy quality. There is a brightness/darkness button on the side that easily slides from lighter to darker. There is no need to warm up the machine, simply press the power button and you are immediately ready to make copies. It also has an automatic shut off that saves on power. The ink cartridges seem easy to change, (from the directions), but I haven't had to change one, yet. I was told that we would get 1000 copies from the toner that came with the copier, but I would imagine we have made many more than that and it is still going strong.

The paper inserts from the side, and there is an adjustable paper guide. All you do is set the paper into the mini tray, slide the guides together from either side until they meet on each side of the paper. You have to push the paper initially to get it started, then it will go through by itself, and land in the paper tray on the other end. One thing about the paper tray, however, is it is a bit cheap and keeps falling off. This is my only complaint.

When you lift up the lid to place the paper to be copied, there is a small grid there for using different sizes of paper - such as a letter, statement, etc. The edges are ruled for easy paper placement.

Our Experience
It has come in handy for homework assignments around here. Many times we have had to use it to make a copy of something for school, or to copy a spelling list for a "friend" who forgot to bring their words home from school. Recently my daughter used it to copy pages from her anatomy book so she could condense what she needed to study and not keep flipping pages of the book. The only thing is when you make copies from a book, this doesn't work like a regular copier, you have to hold the book down with your hand and move it back and forth with the copier. No big deal, just works a little different than I was used to.

When my teenager was filling out job applications, we always made a copy of the original in case she made a mistake. This is always a good idea anyway, and the copier has saved her more than once. The last thing you want to do is go to your prospective employer and ask for another application because you messed up the one they gave you!

I have a small business in my home and need to make copies of my business license and other documents from time to time, and this machine has been a life saver for me. I have never had any problems with it, it is virtually maintenance free. I have had my copier for about two years now, and still have not had to replace the ink cartridge!
It has saved me numerous 20 mile trips to the closest Mail Boxes Etc. to make my copies!

When my daughter was making numerous copies for her college scholarship applications, this piece of equipment was worth it's weight in gold! Very helpful indeed! I don't know how we ever got along without it!

It folds up nicely, the two trays fold in and there is a built in carrying handle in case you need to move it from room to room, it is very mobile.

Cartridges
Canon makes the cartridge refills for this copier, they are model E16. The box says they are made in Japan, I didn't know that Canon was a Japanese company! We spent $50 on a replacement cartridge (on sale) when we purchased this copier, and it is still in the box. I have only found them in black ink, I don't know if color cartridges are available for this unit or not. At first I thought the replacement ink cartridges were expensive, but was told we would get around 5000 copies from it, depending of course, on the darkness of the copies we made.
Considering I pay $30 for my DeskJet Printer ink cartridges, and I don't get any where close to 5000 copies, this was not that bad of a deal!

For those of you who are into recycling, the cartridges can be recycled, part of the Clean Earth Campaign.

Final Thoughts
We have used this Canon copier for over two years now, and have never had anything go wrong with it except a simple paper jam once or twice. It is simple to use, and gives me excellent quality in all of my copies. For the person who needs access to the occasional xerox machine, this table top copier would be just perfect! I would suggest you shop around however. We first saw this at our local Costco store, and held off on buying it so we could check the prices at our local Office Max. To our delight, Office Max had a much better price, their's were $50 cheaper than Costco's price!

For simple personal use, you can't go wrong with this copier.

UPDATE: 9/20/91
After using this copier for a while, I have run into some problems with the paper tray. It is removeable, and doesn't fit terribly snugly onto the copier. My daycare kids kept knocking it off, and just the other day one of the plastic pegs that holds it on was broken off. I think they could have come up with a way to attach the paper tray that was a little more durable.

Brand Canon Imageclass D420 All-in-one Laser Printer Multifunction Copier

Brand Canon Imageclass D420 All-in-one Laser Printer Multifunction Copier

If you are looking for a quality printer, copier, and scanner, the Canon imageCLASS D420 is the choice for you. This Canon printer offers a 600x600 dp...

Canon imageCLASS D420 Multifunction Copiers/Printer/ Scanner

Canon imageCLASS D420 Multifunction Copiers/Printer/ Scanner

Buy Canon imageCLASS D420 Multifunction Copiers&#47Printer&#47 Scanner with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you New...
Newegg.com

Canon imageCLASS D420 Laser Multifunction Copier 2711B062AA

Canon imageCLASS D420 Laser Multifunction Copier 2711B062AA

The imageCLASS D420 is a laser multifunction copier with high end duplex versatility. Includes copy and print speeds up to 23 ppm. The perfect copier ...
Brand Canon Imageclass D420 All-in-one Laser Printer

Brand Canon Imageclass D420 All-in-one Laser Printer

Canon MF7460 Copier Machine

Canon MF7460 Copier Machine

The Canon ImageClass 7460MF Copier generates fast, high-quality laser documents at a speed of 25 pages-per-minute! Now thats fast! Also, the Canon 746...
Direct Source!

Canon Copier Ic D550 - 4509b061aa

Canon Copier Ic D550 - 4509b061aa

Canon Copier Ic D550 - 4509b061aa Brand: Canon UPC: 013803123708 Model: 4509B061AA
Canon PC430 Flatbed Copier - Laser - Monochrome

Canon PC430 Flatbed Copier - Laser - Monochrome

PC 430 Series Personal Copier has a compact, sleek design with pop-up handle that offers easy portability and fits neatly into any work space. Single ...
Office Depot

Canon 4839B003 Ic D1350 Copier-B/W Laser Mfp

Canon 4839B003 Ic D1350 Copier-B/W Laser Mfp

IC D1350 COPIER-B/W LASER MFP
PCM

Canon Pixma Mg2120 All-in-one Inkjet Photo Printer Copier Scanner Pc & Mac

Canon Pixma Mg2120 All-in-one Inkjet Photo Printer Copier Scanner Pc & Mac

The Canon PIXMA MG2120 is an all-in-one photo inkjet printer that can print, copy, and scan in professional quality. With a resolution of 4800x1200 dp...