Oster TSSTTVMNDG Toaster Oven

Dec 28, 2012 (Updated Feb 2, 2013)

Pros:I love it! Too many to list here. Read the review.

Cons:Only two levels. Buttons need to be pressed firmly.

The Bottom Line: The Convection Bake is incredible! It’s attractive, quiet, and has all the functions I wanted. I baked homemade French bread and it came out spectacularly and in less time.

I spent four entire days searching for the toaster oven I wanted. I wasn’t even sure I was going to buy one after I read all the negative reviews out there. I kept coming back to the Oster TSSTTVMNDG. Three other toaster ovens I liked were Italian made and I had never heard of them. They were all much more expensive and half the weight.

According to the Amazon website, this model, Oster TSSTTVMNDG was “Recognized as one of the best products of 2011 in a leading consumer research magazine.”  It has a lot of positive reviews on Amazon. As far as the negative reviews, I think some people just don’t read the instructions. There were a good number of people who complained about the clock not keeping the correct time. Speaking of instructions, they tell you to unplug the toaster oven when not in use. If you unplug the unit as you’re supposed to, the clock “that doesn’t keep time” isn’t going to be an issue.

Like anything new, it took some getting used to. I burned my first slice of toast. You have to push three buttons for toast: Toast, Time (to select 1, 2, or 3 (default) for the shade you want and that is just guesswork your first time), then Start. 1 was too light; 3 was too dark; 2 was just right. You also have to make sure you have the wire rack at the correct level. If you set it on the higher level, you’ll probably get burnt toast. When your toast is done, the unit beeps three times in quick succession and it does that four times, and displays END until you press Stop.

It has a very accessible crumb tray that you pull out in the front of the unit. My last toaster oven was a Black & Decker that had to be turned on it’s back to unhinge the crumb tray. Crumbs went everywhere with that thing. In comparison, the Oster TSSTTVMNDG is a breeze!

The Pros:
It has a Bake cycle that is separate from the Convection Bake cycle. So, the Bake cycle doesn’t use the fan.
It has a Power Indicator light to show you that it is on. It is bright red and NOT a tiny button size.
The unit is very quiet.
It has an internal light that you can turn off.
It is digital which is easier to keep clean with just a wet paper towel. Knobs are harder to keep clean. They break, crack, come off, get gunked up and can be hard to turn.
It doesn’t have a Teflon interior or any type of coating. I prefer nothing.
It has four heating elements. This is good in case one dies, you would at least still be able to cook with the others.
It came with an enamel baking pan with low sides which is what you want when you do convection cooking.
It also came with a broiling rack and a wire rack.
The convection cooking shortens cooking time between 25% - 30%. It also varies some with the food cooked. Baked foods in particular benefit from convection cooking and I do a lot of baking so this will be more economical than turning on my big oven.
The unit has a slight bump (bulge) in the back to allow for a 12” pizza. It can also fit a 13 x 9 inch pan.
It toasts 6 slices of bread at one time.

The Cons
Can only set the wire rack on either of two levels. I would prefer three levels as some other models have this choice but I can live with it!

Control Buttons
Clock
Light
Stop (Cancel)
Start

I paid $59.99 for the Oster TSSTTVMNDG. It was on sale from it’s original price of: $79.99. I’ve seen it elsewhere for more. I lucked out and got free shipping too with 5 minutes to spare! Since an Amazon distribution warehouse is practically around the corner from me, I ordered it at 11:50 pm, the 18th and received it 5:19 pm, the 20th. It was in three boxes and the innermost box was shrink wrapped to boot! It was delivered in a very windy snowstorm and was covered in snow at my doorstep. It took me ½ hour to get it out of all the boxes! Not that I’m complaining! I was wondering if they were delivering my toaster oven or gold bullion!

Dimensions, etc.
These are the approximate dimensions when I measured the unit:
Exterior: 19 x 15 (w/handle) x 11 ¼
Interior: 13 ½ x 12 x 5 ¼ (from lower rack to top of heating element)
Wattage: 1300 (on the back label)
Weight: 20 lbs.

I give you this information because when I was doing my research on toaster ovens, I came across all different measurements for this unit, including different wattage.

Here’s hoping the Oster TSSTTVMNDG lasts as long as my Amana Radarange (microwave) which is on it’s 27th year, works great, and looks brand new!

Oster Tssttvmndg Digital Large Capacity Toaster Oven, Black/polished

Oster Tssttvmndg Digital Large Capacity Toaster Oven, Black/polished

NEW Oster TSSTTVMNDG Digital Large Capacity Toaster Oven, Black/Polished Features Recognized as one of the best products of 2011 in a leading consumer...

Oster Tssttvmndg Digital Large Capacity Toaster Oven, Black/polished Stainless A

Oster TSSTTVMNDG Digital Large Capacity Toaster Oven, Black/Polished Stainless Accents Image may be a representation, please refer to the listing deta...

Product Details Recognized as one of the best products of 2011 in a leading consumer research magazine 6-slice toaster oven with convection technology...

Oster TSSTTVMNDG Digital Large Capacity Toaster Oven, Black/Polished Stainless Accents Features:Recognized as one of the best products of 2011 in a le...

Oster Tssttvmndg Kitchen Digital Toaster Oven Cooking

Oster Tssttvmndg Kitchen Digital Toaster Oven Cooking

Product Details: Oster TSSTTVMNDG Digital Large Capacity Toaster Oven, Black/Polished Stainless A Convection Plus Digital Equals Cooking Perfection Th...

Oster Toaster Oven. Large Digital Toaster Oven in Black TSSTTVMNDG-001

Oster Toaster Oven. Large Digital Toaster Oven in Black TSSTTVMNDG-001

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. This toaster oven distributes heat quickly and evenly for thorough cooking and excellent results. The oven prov...
Home Depot

Oster Tssttvmndg-001 Large Digital Countertop Oven

Oster Tssttvmndg-001 Large Digital Countertop Oven

Shop Categories All categories Click here to view full size. Full Size Image Click to close full size. Oster TSSTTVMNDG-001 Large Digital Countertop O...

Oster(R) Toaster Oven, Black - Silver

Oster(R) Toaster Oven, Black - Silver

Easy-to-use functions to toast, bake and broil food 4 slice capacity. 30 minute timer alerts you when food is ready. Oven temperature control allows y...
Office Depot

Oster 4-Slice Toaster Oven, Black

Oster 4-Slice Toaster Oven, Black

Add an appliance to your kitchen that will make cooking more convenient with the Oster 4-Slice Toaster Oven. The oven can be used for heating, baking ...

Oster 4-Slice Toaster Oven By Jarden Consumer Solutions