PAM072142WE2 - Wonderful Pistachios Reviews

PAM072142WE2 - Wonderful Pistachios

Wonderful Pistachios -- "Wunnerful, Wunnerful, Wunnerful!"

Feb 10, 2012

Pros:0 grams sodium
100% tasty morsels

Cons:An occasional unsplit shell forces me to locate the nutcracker

The Bottom Line: Wonderful Pistachios -- pistachios for pistachio lovers! How about treating your valentine to a bag?

I love pistachios. Some of my earliest memories involving family outings include licking the salt and red dye off my fingers. We would get them from vendor carts at ProspectPark– a small bag for each of us. Who remembers what they cost? The memories of that special treat were (as the ads for a certain card say) priceless!

In the present, we know that the red dye was not a healthy adornment. Salt? The less you can consume, the better. Finding pistachios in their natural color is easier these days. Salt-free is another story. Up until recently, salt-free anything was relegated to the tiny half-aisle with salt and sugar substitutes. Now there is no longer a “separate but equal” section of the store for salt-free items.

Salt-free Wonderful Pistachios sit side by side with their salty brothers and sisters in the produce section of your supermarket. They cost about $5 for a 10-ounce bag that disappears within a day or two while sitting on my desk. Occasionally, I find coupons for $1 off per bag. This fills my need for a low-carb, salt-free snack between meals. The fact that I love Wonderful Pistachios just as much as those morsels from childhood is quite the plus for me. So many “healthy” versions of snacks are poor substitutes. When you find something you like among the choices you have, it’s a life-line.

The hearty, roasted flavor of Wonderful Pistachios makes it hard to believe that they are salt free. Every nut in the bag is delicious. With the exception of the inevitable unsplit shell on a handful of nuts, Wonderful Pistachios are the easiest snack to munch on.

Wonderful Pistachios have only 8 grams of carbs per half-cup (shells on) and no sodium at all. Admittedly, they are high in fat (14 grams). As I tell my doctor, if I avoided everything I’m supposed to avoid, I’d have nothing left to eat at all. I will gladly give up some of the added fat in my meals (butter, for example) to keep my pistachios.

Even if you are one of the lucky few who can eat everything they want as often as possible, salt-free Wonderful Pistachios make a great choice for baking. When you bake with salt-free nuts, you avoid having to wash them to prevent a salt transfer to your breads and cookies. I used to make brownies from scratch and never used pistachios because they were too salty for the recipe (and I’m not one to double-fiddle with any ingredient – shelling and washing, uh-uh). I’d rather spend my time making a decadent topping for my brownies. Now that I have Wonderful Pistachios, I’m in the mood to dust off my brownie recipe and get cracking.

Wonderful Pistachios - 24/1.5 oz.
Wonderful Almonds - 1.5 oz. - 24 ct.Heart healthy: scientific evidence suggests but does not prove that eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts, such a...

SELL-IL