Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3D Blu-Ray Player Reviews

Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3D Blu-Ray Player

Easy install, worked well.

Dec 30, 2012

• Sound:
  • Picture Quality:

Pros:Excellent picture quality, easy setup, good price.

Cons:Slow wireless network signon at powerup.

The Bottom Line: I would buy another one of these if I needed another BD player.

We got one of these (Panasonic BDT-220) at Costco the week before Christmas.  We chose it because it had WiFi and the good luck we had with the previous model (the BDT-210).  When we got ot my Mother's place and installed it, it came up with no difficulty.  As there was no network cable near where it was installed, we used WiFi for the connecion.

Initial setup was easy, including the wireless connection to the network.  When I started to use it for network access, it prompted me for a software upgrade, which was easy (but not fast - it took 10 minutes or perhaps a bit longer (I didn't time it)).  Similarly, when starting up, it seems to take several minutes to connect to the wireless network - it might be worth using a wired connection if one is available.  Then again, on your wireless network, it may sign on faster.

Like many such devices, it will play youtube videos from the net, with the minor annoyance that the full screen mode stretches 4:3 content to full screen width instead of pillar boxing it.

The important part - playing BD discs - worked just fine.  Excellent picture quality.

The only negatives I had were the slightly slow wireless signon on startup, and the youtube stretching on full screen size.  I consider those pretty minor given the excellent performance in its real, intended function.

Panasonic Smart Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi Built In for Video Streaming - DMP-BDT220
Smartphone Remote Control