Panasonic TY-CC20W Web Cam Reviews

Panasonic TY-CC20W Web Cam

great camera with great sound pickup

Dec 25, 2012

Pros:Very clear and sound is picked up very well

Cons:Viera app. camera controls are useless and fustrating

The Bottom Line: Would be a perfect camera if not for the Viera app functions

Just bought this camera for my wife @ christmas to talk to the in-laws in Romania using the TV instead of the computer web cam.

It is hooked upto a Panasonic P50st50 (see my other review on this set).  As well as a soon to added review on a pair of page_type_~prices SG4100 3D glasses I am using w/ it.

Anyway, the TV is the first page_type_~prices i have owned and am VERY pleased with it as I learn more and more what it can do.  After adding this camera I was put off a little by the Amazon reviews saying the sound was a little weak and minor niggles about picture quality, however I will tell you that I have not had any issues, bar a minor annoyance which I will get into below.

The sound quality is astouding.  We were sittingf about 15 feet away from the TV and the in-laws had to tell us not shout and once we learned that normal talking volume was sufficient it was great (for them).  They also said how clear and crisp the picture was since it was broadcasting in 720p HD.  I don't know what kind of camera they use but it is most definately not HD, so I'm not dinging anything for that since it has nothing to do with this camera's performance.

The little niggle that I had with the camera was that during the camera, it was starting to bog down and get jumpy, plus a black bar appeared about 1/8 to 1/5 the of the right vertical side of the picture.  It was cleared out twice by shutting off the video feed and turning it back on.  So I don't know if it was a TV buffering issue, a connection speed issue or a camera issue, so I won't ding it on this issue either.

The other thing that I ran into was that I played with the contrast, brightness, screen position and so on buttons.  In doing so I hit the reset button.  This yielded a very dark and unfixable video feed through the Viera skype controls.  After looking up dark picture results on the skype community I came across a post for this very problem.  Basically it mentioned you need to go into the advanced camera settings and put the exposure setting back to "auto".  But since the Viera app doesn't give you advanced options to play with it became an issue.  I was about to pack it up and send it back but I tried the computer skype and hooking this camera to that and there was a plethora of other control settings including what I needed.

Thank you for the post "MirAli"   The auto exposure works when you correct it on the computer and it worked fine when the camera was plugged back into the TV and skype app restarted.  So an Amazon return was averted.

As for the physical aspects of the camera, it is a very slim profile and very unobtrusive.  I was going to diconnect this and place it behind the TV at first but since it is hardly noticable I will be leaving it alone.  (Eventhogh the government and aliens might secretly activate it and spy on me. lol :P~)

Good job page_type_~prices in making a great TV web camera, but please work on the Viera app. options so you don't have to use an alternate method to adjust settings on the thing . . .

Pros:
Great sound pickup and clear picture

Cons:
Poor Viera app camera controls

The Bottom Line:
Don't hit the reset/default buttons on the Viera app and its great

USB Web Cam with Tripod

USB Web Cam with Tripod

Use this exceptional, versatile camera for capturing ID images, or as an additional security measure for high-traffic areas. Have questions about came...
IDville

Creative Live! Cam Webcam - 30 fps - USB 2.0

Creative Live! Cam Webcam - 30 fps - USB 2.0

Enjoy HD video chatting instantly!With the Live! Cam Sync HD, you'll be video chatting in high definition (HD) 720p quality in no time, with its USB p...
Office Depot

Creative Live! Cam Sync HD Webcam

Creative Live! Cam Sync HD Webcam

The Creative Live! Cam Sync Webcam is designed to deliver high-definition video chatting in a convenient package with a variety of extra features. An ...

Manhattan Web Cam 500 - Web camera - color - 5 MP - 2560 x 1920 - USB - AVI
MacMall

Manhattan Web Cam 500 - Web camera - color - 5 MP - 2560 x 1920 - USB - AVI

Logitech Conference Cam CC3000e WebCam
Newegg.com

Usb 0.3 Mega Hd Webcam Web Cam Camera For Pc Laptop Desktop Us Stock

Usb 0.3 Mega Hd Webcam Web Cam Camera For Pc Laptop Desktop Us Stock

Search In titles or description Notice Board USB 0.3 Mega HD Webcam Web Cam Camera for PC Laptop Desktop US STOCK

Microsoft 5WH-00002 LifeCam Studio for Business - web camera

Microsoft 5WH-00002 LifeCam Studio for Business - web camera

Microsoft LifeCam Studio for Business - Web camera - color - 1920 x 1080 - audio - USB 2.0

Adesso CYBERTRACK V10 CyberTrack V10 - web camera

Adesso CyberTrack V10 - Web camera - color - 0.3 MP - audio - wireless - USB 2.0
MacMall