Grand Canyon National Park

Jan 5, 2012

• Scenery:
  • Crowds:
  • Time needed for visit:

Pros:The sheer beauty

Cons:Lots of people

The Bottom Line: Just do it!

While I not the biggest fan of looking down holes I must admit that this one was absolutely amazing.  My fear of heights did not turn out to be an issue of any sort either.  Park staff were knowledgeable and friendly.  They have these cool tour truck things that are a must if you visit.  We saw a couple of wild coyotes and lots of deer.  The weather was not the greatest for our visit but the view was not comprimised.  We tried both sides of the canyon.  There are helicopter tours on one side but they are seriously overpriced and take care of your car getting to them.

We have visited most of the national parks and this one is defintely in our top five.  They have taken the time to really think about designated viewing areas.  Furthermore, the focus on safety was impressive.  It seemed any time we noticed someone acting stupid near an edge that there was staff appearing out of nowhere to put an end to it.  They allow pets, which was the biggest perk since we were traveling with our dog.  One thing we really noticed is that all of our fellow visitors seemed to be quite jolly there.  I think the place is so amazing that it really puts you back in your place and realize how great the United States of America really is.

Do a road trip and hit all the parks in that area sometime soon.  It is defintely a great journey and this park is excellent at anypoint of your journey.  Beginning, middle, or final stop it will send you home with some great memories and photos to share.

Best time to go: Anytime