Lava Beds National Monument

Lava Beds National Park

Apr 18, 2000 (Updated Apr 19, 2000)

Pros:Lava formations, cave exploration

Cons:Nothing

Lava Beds National Park is located in northeast California well off the beaten path. We travelled through Lava Beds on our way from Lassen to Crater Lake. It was a mistake on our part because Lava Beds is a great place to see and you definitely need a day to two days to do it.

Lava Beds has a unique beauty all its own. The landscape is barren due to the volcanic eruptions and you can see the path of the lava as it flowed along the earth. Not much grows in these particular sections of the park but I find it extremely interesting.

There are vegetated areas with mountainous locations that contain caves which you are able to go in and explore. The visitor's center at the entrance to the park provides helmets for a fee and maps. There is also an interesting history of the park.

There is also an area you can visit where there are park rangers who explain an Indian Battle which took place in the park.

If you have come this far there is an areas a ways outside of the park where you can view petroglyphs also. I highly recommend this park to everyone as it is a great experience far from the crowds.