Duke Power State Park

Let's Hit Duke Power For The Day!

May 19, 2001 (Updated May 19, 2001)

• Scenery:
  • Crowds:
  • Time needed for visit:

Pros:Something For Everyone.

Cons:NA

The Bottom Line: Duke Power State Park is located on Lake Norman and is a great place to visit!

We've been going to this park ever since we moved to North Carolina 15 years ago! Duke Power State Park is located in Troutman, North Carolina and is about a 45 minute drive from us. It has a really nice swimming area and we have enjoyed it for many years. The lake is about 30-35 acres (10-15 miles) and actually runs along the Lake Norman shoreline. It is North Carolina’s largest man-made lake. They do not charge a fee to get in and it is open year-round.

We love to fish and it is one of the lakes in the area that has a boat launch. The lake contains lots of fish, such as perch, carp, catfish, and bass (mostly largemouth, but also some striped), and of course the bluegill and crappie. We love to get out on the lake and just find a shady little cove and fish and relax.

There’s a nice picnic area with a pavilion. It is right on the lakefront and there is, or used to be, a raft built out about 20-30 ft. where you could swim out and dive or just relax and sun. Our kids were always good enough swimmers and used to love to swim out to the raft and play and dive. It was an accomplishment not all the kids their age could do.

The park also has biking trails, which we have never used but have seen many bikers. I think the path is eight miles long and someone told us there were some nice fishing places along the way. There are several trails for easy to moderate riders.

Lake Norman has a lot of wild life. You can see ducks and lots of waterfowl. The osprey has been known to be seen in the area, too, although we’ve never been able to sight one. We’ve seen other waterfowl though, including beautiful herons. There is a refuge up there somewhere, too, we’re told. So I’m sure they come from there. They also have nice nature trails to walk and kids can learn lots of things on those walks.

ACTIVITIES AND AMENITIES:

159 Inland Sea Lane
Troutman, NC 28266
704-528-6350

LOCATION

 South of Statesville and 32 miles north of Charlotte. Exit 42 from I-77 and is well marked.

Duke Power State Park, a great place to visit.

Best time to go: Anytime