Allegany State Park - Quaker

Generation after generation of affordable vacationing

May 12, 2010

• Scenery:
  • Crowds:
  • Time needed for visit:

Pros:This is a great place for the entire family with non-stop activities for everyone.

Cons:14 day limit on your stay.

The Bottom Line:

Bring your family and stay at ASP one week and you'll never want to go anywhere else.

Allegany State Park has been the highlight of my summers for over 40 years.  Before that, my father having grown up in Bradford, PA spent many summer days and nights in the park.  There is so much for families to do.  Kids can play in the creek, catch the little crayfish, build dams and lean-tos.  One of the fun things we did as a family was buy the glow in the dark frisbees and got them fully charged up and let them fly under the vast picnic area when it was pitch dark outside.  There are movies under the stars at the ampitheater, nature walks with REAL naturalists, star gazing with astronomers, lake swimming, creek walking, a weekly hootenanny, or campfire singing at your own campfire--we brought our own guitars, keyboards, fiddles and whatever to sing with--, hiking trails, all of this fun is included in your cabin or tent/RV site rental.  We met lifelong friends whom we still have contact with, year after year.

This is the perfect place to bring your family to make memories.  It's the place where my dad built the best campfires, the place where we worked and played together as a family and fell into our sleeping bags at night exhausted and happy.

Because of budget concerns, I heard that the Quaker beach would not open this year.  The park changes, sometimes amenities are added, and sometimes they are taken away.  The Red House beach, however, will be open for swimming, and it's not that far away.

Year after year, no place compares.  When given a choice between ASP and an Orlando Disney vacation, we chose ASP!

Best time to go: June-August