Keuka Lake State Park

Peaceful, picturesque & not too pricey

Jan 3, 2005

• Scenery:
  • Crowds:
  • Time needed for visit:

Pros:Quiet, inexpensive, location, beautiful surroundings

Cons:No camp store, that may be important to some folks

The Bottom Line: You can't stay in paradise for any cheaper. Day trips don't have to take all day. Plenty to do, something for everyone.

The price for a site is $13 per night with a small service charge, I think we paid $8 or $9 extra to reserve at www.reserveamerica.com, which is the only way to reserve a site at a New York State Campground and there are 150 tent and trailer sites to choose from. The location: Route 54A, 6 miles west of Penn Yan at the North end of the west branch of Keuka Lake. You can camp from May through October and pets are allowed with proof of rabies certification.

I highly recommend this campground to anyone visiting the Finger Lakes region of New York State. You cannot beat the price or the location. The campsites themselves are located in a loop configuration with the bathrooms, which are kept in immaculate condition, in the center. There are three groups of these loops to choose from, Deer Run, Esperanza and Twin Fawns. I would be remiss in mentioning that the sizes of the sites, which were truly generous and having a grassy site was a bonus. I don't know how many camping trips we took where we were given a site that was grassless, rutty, crowded and littered with glass.

The entire camping area is located on a small hill within a short drive or walk to the lake. There you will find a picnicking area and a beach for swimming. There is a boat launch just down the road from this area as well, which we took full advantage of "marshing" with our kayak. It is a lovely "Y" shaped lake surround by lush green bluffs and is excellent for canoeing, kayaking, fishing, swimming and water skiing. It is 187 feet at its deepest point and 2 miles wide at its widest point and is know for being one of the cleanest of the Finger Lakes.

There are also plenty of activities outside of the campground, such as golfing, shopping and visiting the vast amount of wineries in the area. My husband and I golfed Reservoir Creek Golf Course in Naples, which is just a short 20 minute drive from Keuka Lake State Park. It was about $75 for the two of us after 2 pm and we did golf on Saturday. It is about $30 if you go during the week after 2 pm. If you have a tee time during peak times, plan on spending about $5 more. The course is an 18 hole championship golf course and is very user friendly for everyone. It opened in 2000, but it has the feel of a much more seasoned course. It is surrounded by rolling hills and is located in the lush Naples Valley. Frankly it felt as if we were golfing in a vineyard. I encourage anyone to check out their website www.rcgolf.com, which has pictures of each hole and will certainly serve as a teaser.

As far as shopping, you have the Windmill in Penn Yan and Naples Valley Arts & Crafts Market, which are very similar open air markets. They both offer one stop shopping from local farmers, artisans and businesses. I suggest that if you go to the Windmill you plan on spending at least a half of a day, there is that much to see and do. There is even a chiropractor! If you are in the market for wine, there are 13 wineries on the Keuka Wine Trail, 7 of them in Hammondsport alone, what a neat historic village to see if you happened to be in that area. It is loaded with plenty of antique and specialty shops. I do suggest you stop into there ice cream shop for a bit of nostalgia.

I do hope you are prompted to venture to Keuka State Park and enjoy what it has to offer. I keep going back year after year, I have been to many campgrounds, but this one truly stays on my mind.

Best time to go: June-August