Selkirk Shores State Park

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Selkirk Shores is not a resort

Oct 14, 2002
  • User Rating: OK

• Scenery:
  • Crowds:
  • Time needed for visit:

Pros:Close to population centers. Easily reached from Rte. 81

Cons:Beach, hiking trails, activities

The Bottom Line: Selkirk Shores is less than advertised. Campsites are small and there is nothing to do there. The highlight of the park is the camp store.

Last year, my wife and I decided to rent a cabin at Selkirk Shores State Park. The main reason we chose Selkirk was that it was easily reachable (about 2 hours from Rochester). We had also read the description on line and it sounded like a nice place to visit.

We were greeted by very friendly attendants as we checked in. The cabin was very nice with a screened porch and a large campfire area.

As we settled in, however, we discovered that Selkirk was not everything the website claimed. The Lake Ontario beach turned out to be little more than 100 feet or so of seaweed. The seaweed was so bad that most of the time we were there, the lifeguards spent a great deal of the day raking it off the beach. We also discovered that the most favorable spot on the beach was anywhere you could find upwind of the seaweed. The smell was atrocious. Where there was no seaweed, there was nothing but rock beach.

Hiking trails were non-existent although there was a nice walk to the Selkirk lighthouse.

The only sight-seeing in the area was about an hour and a half north to the Thousand Islands. This side trip took a day and was worth the ride. Other than that, there is nothing to do there.

Selkirk is a great place to stay if you want to do absolutely nothing for a week. It would also be a nice place to go for a family picnic but we found it so boring, we left a day early and returned to civilization.

Best time to go: Never