Mukilteo State Park

2 consumer reviews

Mukilteo State Park ~*~ Washington State

Dec 13, 2000 (Updated May 12, 2003)

Pros:Clean, Panoramic Significance, Sensational Sunsets

Cons:Commute traffic can hinder parking availability.

The Bottom Line: Mukilteo State Park is the location of one of Washingtons ferry docks, a wonderful picnic and kite flying spot.

~*~Mukilteo State Park~*~
Approximately 30 minutes north of Seattle, tucked away along the bay of Mukilteo, Washington, you will find Mukilteo State Park, one of our families favorite Washington State Parks. Waves crashing, seagulls squealing, children laughing, and an occasional ferryboat horn, are examples of the auditory sensory you may intake. The visuals are abundant at this shoreline park, and soothing to our family. Including shoreline scenery, ferry traffic, and more. The air is clear, with a salty – misty sensation. A breeze is forever present.

By far, the best feature of Mukilteo Park is the splendid view opportunities of the Puget Sound and Whidbey Island! I highly suggest accommodating your visit to this scenic park with a ride on the Washington State Ferry.

The average temperature for Mukilteo is August~ 61.9 degrees, November~ 44.4 degrees. Overall climate is considered mild and the average rainfall is 35.24”. I recommend being prepared for some mild winds by including jacket. The winds off the shore feel wonderful during warm days, but can be chilling in the evenings and during inclement weather.

Mukilteo State Park is 26 miles north of Seattle. From Interstate 5, take exit 189 to Hwy. 526. You may follow signs indicating Mukilteo to Clinton Ferry, and you will safely arrive at Mukilteo State Park.

~*~Activities~*~
My initial fondness for this location stems from childhood. Mukilteo State Park was one of my Mothers favorite beach spots during the school-less summer months. She would pack a lunch, gather a friend and their children, and drive my sister and I to the park for the day. During that era of time, we enjoyed the pursuit of hermit crabs. They were never harmed, we just liked to find tide pools, lift a rock, and watch them scurry. Seashell gathering, sandcastle construction, and tide jumping were among our other adventures of the day.

Moving forward to high school years, this became one of mine and my high school sweetheart’s most romantic date places. Daytime excursions allowed for kite flying, bird watching, and other beach-combing activities. Encompassing 17.56 acres with 1,495 feet of saltwater shoreline, the view of Puget Sound and Whidbey Island is spectacular from this Snohomish County location! The sensational sunsets add immensely to this park lands panoramic significance. To further enjoy the serenity of this locale, we would board (as pedestrian passengers) the Washington State Ferry, and ride over to Clinton, Washington and back. Ferry service to Whidbey Island is located northeast of the park.

Of course when parenthood hit our horizon this park regained popularity in a childlike sense. Our daughters enjoy hermit crab and other marine life observation. They like to venture into the waves and tide hop as well. I do not allow them to swim here, nor is swimming recommended because of the tide currents and extreme drop-offs. Kite flying is doable here, but no longer is this park our first choice for this activity due to visitor population expansion.

Other activities that we have seen transpire include shore fishing and occasional clam digging. It remains a picnic favorite amongst locals. Typical beach combing excursions make this park evermore popular. Another great compliment to Mukilteo State Park is the picnic area. Here you will find 47 tables, 10 stoves, and 7 fire rings. Also on this site is a large restroom with dressing rooms. Boaters tend to like the 4-lane boat launch ramp, and 239 car and boat trailer combination parking lot.

This park does not offer camping or other overnite options.

~*~Information~*~
Five bulletin boards offer ongoing beach related information; including shellfish regulations, a Point Elliot Treaty sign display, environmental education, and miscellaneous other reads. A commuter-parking lease with Diamond Parking, Inc. of Seattle, Washington, allows transit parking close to the ferry terminal. Unfortunately, this is one of the very aspects that contribute to crowding and lack of parking at peak visit times. We do understand the necessity of this service thought, and allow it to be just a minor deterrent.

Located just north of this park, you find the Mukilteo Light Station, owned and operated by the U.S. Coast Guard. The U.S. Coast Guard and the Mukilteo Historical Society cooperatively operate the Mukilteo light station. The land immediately east of the park is owned by Burlington Northern Railroad, and the railroad passes between the boundary of the park and the City of Mukilteo.

For up to date information with regard to the Washington State Ferry, Mukilteo to Clinton, departure times and rates please contact:

~*~Historical~*~
Mukilteo State Park is the result of 18 parcel acquisitions. The first parcel was acquired in 1952, and the last in 1973. Store partners J. D. Fowler and Morris H. Frost founded the local town of Mukilteo. Originally known as Point Elliot (the Point Elliot Treaty was signed here), Mr. Fowler changed the town name to Mukilteo (Indian word meaning ‘good camping ground’) in 1862.