Peg Bracken - The I Hate to Cook Book: 50th Anniversary Edition

Witty collection of vintage recipes

Aug 19, 2010

Pros:Easy recipes, lots of laughs.

Cons:Not exactly gourmet.

The Bottom Line: A must-have for novice cooks with a sense of humour.

Well, they're vintage now, but when Peg Bracken was writing they were bang up to date! Cooks loved the labour-saving method of combining three different cans of soup and adding sherry and cream. Yes, that's the style of cookery, but if you're a mum without much time to spare, or a student who's never cooked before, you'll find some tasty and easy recipes here. How about this one (contains no scallops).

FAST CHEESE SCALLOP
Make about 1 1/2 cups of cream/white sauce (or use thinned condensed celery soup) and pour it over a pound of cooked potatoes in a casserole dish. Put plenty of grated cheese on top, and bake, uncovered, at 350F for 25 mins.

Peg's I Hate to Housekeep Book is also very funny and full of useful time and money saving tips.

Her big cooking discovery is to devise meals that can be prepped early in the day, and then finished off and cooked later. Many of her recipes contain the words STOP NOW! She doesn't mean "give up and serve it to the cat" but "put everything aside and come back and finish it later".

The great thing about her recipes is that they don't involve fiddly processes, or obscure terminology. She's no Heston Blumenthal - fortunately!

Peg Bracken is a very funny writer, and this book is worth reading for the laughs, even if you never make any of the food. And if you're into vintage recipes, you'll love it.

The I Hate To Cook Book By Peg Bracken Hardcover Book (english) Free Shippin

The I Hate To Cook Book By Peg Bracken Hardcover Book (english) Free Shippin

Store Search search Title, ISBN and Author The I Hate to Cook Book by Peg Bracken Estimated delivery 3-12 business days Format Hardcover Condition Bra...

The I Hate to Cook Book eBook

The I Hate to Cook Book eBook

Buy The I Hate to Cook Book by Johanna Bracken, Peg Bracken and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Discover Kobo's Vast Collection of Ebooks Today -...
Kobo eBooks