Polk MONITOR 10 Main / Stereo Speakers

Polk Audio Monitor 10 Loudspeaker: An excellent early effort from Polk Audio

Feb 17, 2013 (Updated Feb 17, 2013)

• Flatness:
  • Imaging:
  • Overall Sound:

Pros:smooth, dynamic sound; tight, deep bass; non-fatiguing trebles; rubber woofer surrounds

Cons:quite large; faux-wood vinyl enclosures

The Bottom Line: Polk 10s are excellent large bookshelf-style speakers from the 1970s and 1980s. My only misgiving is that they come in faux-walnut vinyl enclosures.

Polk Monitor 10s were among the first speakers manufactured by Polk Audio, a high quality mass-market speaker company that's still going strong. Introduced in the 1970s, the 10s continued in production into at least the mid-1980s in various incarnations including the Polk 10A and Polk 10B.

My Uncle had Polk 10s for many years, my brother and I both had Polk 10Bs back in the '80s, and I recently got to listen extensively to some Polk 10As, leading to this review.

Polk 10s are large two-way bookshelf-style loudspeakers featuring two 6 ½” bass/midrange drivers, a small dome tweeter, and a 10” passive radiator. Some versions of the Polk 10 apparently had Peerles tweeters, while others had similar tweeters made in-house by Polk.

The Polk 10s are large for bookshelf-style speakers, measuring  28” x 16” x 12” deep. Speaker wire connection is via banana plug connectors, similar to those used on Dynaco A-25s. The connectors also accept bare wire (unlike those on DCM Time Windows), and are recessed into the backs of the enclosures so you won't damage them should you lay a speaker on its back. An external fuse, protecting the 10's drivers, is mounted in the recessed area next to the terminals of each speaker.

Aesthetics and Use.

I find the Polk 10s to be very attractive. The two dark bass/midrange drivers, dome tweeter, and passive radiator are authoritative looking when you have the grilles off, and with the black grilles on, the speakers look understated and classy, in spite of their size. However, I've always been frustrated with the fact that all versions of the Polk 10 (at least all I've seen) are finished in faux-walnut vinyl, not the real wood veneer of most high quality speakers of the '70s (usually walnut) and '80s (usually oak, as walnut got too expensive). The vinyl on the Polk 10s I've seen has varied in terms of how "realistic" it looks, and it does have a tendency to peel after years of use. You can glue peeling faux-walnut vinyl veneer down, and even repair damaged corners and blend wood filler in with the stuff (if you're a decent woodworker), but it will never look a nice as real wood.

In terms of sound, I really like the Polk 10s (I don't know that I could tell the 10s, 10As, and 10Bs apart in a blind listening test, though some prefer the versions with Peerless tweeters). To me they sound like Polk 7Bs but with deeper and more authoritative bass, a greater sense of dynamics, a larger sounstage, and perhaps a touch less image specificity.

Back in the day, my uncle had a pair of the earliest Polk 10s driven by a high quality Japanese receiver. I remember being struck by both the smoothness and the dynamics of the classical music he listened to. In the late 1980s, my brother and I both bought Polk 10Bs, and my impression was the same with the rock and jazz music we listened to (Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, Pat Metheny, etc.). The bass was tight, deep, and authoritative, and the mids and trebles were smooth and non-fatiguing. I remember also being stuck by what I would later learn to be known as "microdynamics" of the Polk 10Bs. In the 'Dead's live version of Stella Blue, from Steal Your Face, there are some drum transients that can be really striking on a well-dialed-in system. I've never heard them sound better than through the Polk 10Bs. It's not just the bass impact of the drum hits; it's the leading edge, and the subtle sounds of the sticks on drum skins.

Just for comparison's sake, I've dug into my old vinyl and am listening to that very track on my vintage Marantz Imperial 6s driven by a Fisher X-100B tube integrated amplifier as I write. The turntable is an AR ES-1 with a Shure M97xE cartridge. With my M&K V-2B subwoofer going, the sound is good, and bass depth is there, but the transient attack of those drums hits isn't quite the same as it was with the Polk 10Bs.

More recently (January 2013), I got to test a pair of Polk 10As at the shop. They were driven by an inexpensive Japanese late '70s stereo receiver, and the sound was still as I remembered it. The bass was excellent, and bass dynamics are outstanding. The midrange was smooth and realistic, and the trebles were non-fatiguing. With classical music, the sound was well integtated, yet I could hear individual instruments if I chose to. With jazz, the sound was dynamic and involving, but not fatiguing.

Compared to the Polk 7Bs, the sound of the Polk 10As was more authoritative, with deeper bass and a "larger" overall sound. The 7Bs may have had a slightly more well-defined soundstage, due to their smaller front baffles, but I wasn't able to do an A-B comparison. Male vocals were a bit "chestier" with the 10As than with Polk 7Bs, but the chestiness did not intrude as it sometimes does with Large Advents or Acoustic Research AR-3as.

Conclusions.

I've always liked Polk 10s, and my recent experince confirms the impression I've held for many years. If you find a pair of Polk 10s, 10As or 10Bs in good condition for a decent price, snap them up. They are excellent speakers, and I think they hold up well against many of today's mid- to high-end speakers. Compared to my bargain high-end reference DCM Time Windows, they are a bit more dynamic, and may have deeper, tighter bass, while the Time Windows have a certain "je ne sais quoi" that makes them special as well.

A really nice pair of Polk 10s can command maybe $250 on Craigslist or eBay, but a tired-looking but fully functional pair can probably be had for $100 to $175. Another plus is the fact that Polk used rubber surrounds on the woofers of all versions of the Polk 10, so foam rot should not be an issue. As with Dynaco A-25s, my small vintage reference speaker, if you buy a pair of working Polk 10, and treat them well, they should still be working years down the road.

I give the Polk 10s 4.5 stars overall, my deduction coming only because of the vinyl veneer. I think they are really good speakers.

Thanks to wsmunch for getting Polk 10s added to the Epinions database.

Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series Ii Black Tower Speakers [newpair]

Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series Ii Black Tower Speakers [newpair]

The Polk Monitor 70 275 W speaker will redefine the way you think about high-quality compact audio equipment with its state-of-the-art technologies. W...

Polk Audio RC6S Each  6.5 In-Ceiling Stereo Input Speaker

Polk Audio RC6S Each 6.5 In-Ceiling Stereo Input Speaker

6.5 In-Ceiling Stereo Input Speaker Single stereo-input speaker, dual 3/4 tweeters and a 6-1/2 woofer, frequency response 40-20,000 Hz
Crutchfield

Polk RC6S Stereo InWall Loudspeaker

Polk RC6S Stereo InWall Loudspeaker

6.5-inch dynamic-balanceDual 0.75-inch dynamic-balanceGrille and flange are paintableMoisture-resistant
Polk Audio - RC6s 6-1/2 In-Ceiling Speaker (Each)

Polk Audio - RC6s 6-1/2 In-Ceiling Speaker (Each)

Enjoy amazing sound quality with this Polk Audio RC6s in-ceiling speaker that features a Dynamic Balance polymer woofer and 2 soft dome tweeters for s...
Best Buy

Polk Audio 90-RT In-Ceiling Speaker Plus a FREE Pair of Polk

Polk Audio 90-RT In-Ceiling Speaker Plus a FREE Pair of Polk

Part# 90RT Type In-Ceiling/In-Wall Speakers
Newegg.com

Polk Audio Tl2 Compact Center Channel Speaker

Polk Audio Tl2 Compact Center Channel Speaker

Sleek and compact, the Polk TL2 satellite speaker is designed to deliver clear definition of both musical instruments and voices. Featuring a 0.75-inc...

Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black)

Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black)

Product Features Single 10-inch subwoofer in black with built-in high-current amplifier for big bass Equipped with one 10-inch polymer-composite dynam...
Polk Audio - 6-1/2 In-Wall Speaker (Each)

Polk Audio - 6-1/2 In-Wall Speaker (Each)

This speaker features a 6-1/2 dynamic balance polymer composite woofer cone and a 3/4 silk dome tweeter with a neodymium magnet to deliver 100W of pow...
Best Buy

Polk Audio MC60 (Each)  In-ceiling speaker

Polk Audio MC60 (Each) In-ceiling speaker

In-ceiling speaker 3/4 aimable silk dome tweeter and 6-1/2 woofer,frequency response 60-20,000 Hz (-3dB),moisture-resistant design
Crutchfield

Polk Audio Tc80i In Ceiling 2-way Speaker White Tc80 Tc-80 Brand

Polk Audio Tc80i In Ceiling 2-way Speaker White Tc80 Tc-80 Brand

Enjoy accurate lows, mids and highs with the Polk Audio TC80i speakers that boast a frequency response of 30 to 27, 000 Hz. These Polk Audio in-wall l...