Envision EN7220 17" LCD Monitor Reviews

Envision EN7220 17" LCD Monitor

Excellent display for the price

Dec 20, 2004 (Updated Dec 20, 2004)

Pros:Great looking display Inexpensive Adequate warranty, excellent for additional $40

Cons:Power and display plugs on opposite sides, 3 year full coverage warranty would be nice

The Bottom Line: You would be hard pressed to find a better monitor for the price. Clear crisp display, 450:1 contrast ratio, portrait mode is great for viewing web pages.

This will be the 3rd Envision LCD that I have purchased. All three have been great values and delivered more than I expected for the price.

I purchased my EN-7220 at Staples. It was $299 after instant savings (No rebate required) and I also used a $30 off $150 Staples coupon for a grand total of $269 for a 17” LCD monitor. The first one I bought had one stuck blue pixel about ¼ down from the top about a ¼ from the right side. Seems trivial, but it stood out like a laser beam. It also had 3 dead pixels. The dead pixels were easily repaired with the “Q-Tip” trick, but the stuck blue one remained. I ended up buying another monitor before taking this one back and the second one was perfect. Keep in mind LCD’s can have 5-8 dead/stuck pixels and still not be considered defective. This is something a first time LCD buyer might not realize or understand.

Envision’s LCD policy reads:

To identify non-performing pixels, the monitor shall be viewed under normal operating conditions, preferably in its native resolution, and from a normal viewing distance of at least 50 cm (16 in.).

Under these conditions the ENVISION monitor shall not show more than (whichever of the following limits is reached first):
> a total of 8 non-performing pixels (of whatever type), or
> 5 bright non-performing pixels appearing as a red, green, blue, yellow, cyan, magenta, or white dot on a dark or black background, or
> 5 dark non-performing pixels appearing as a black dot on a bright or white background, or
> 2 non-performing pixels of any type located less than 10 mm from each other.

Another thing to be aware of is that although it carries a 3 year warranty, the LCD panel proper is only warranted for 1 year. Envision offers a 3 year extended warranty for $39.99 and a 5 year for $59.99.

Input
The monitor has a standard analog input.

Aesthetics
The monitor has a black circular base around 9” in diameter. The first thing you notice is that this thing is HEAVY. The base is weighted, much heavier than any other LCD I have owned. The base is connected to the monitor proper by a spring loaded cylindrical pole about 2” in diameter. This telescoping pole allows you to adjust the height of the display by simply raising or lowering it and the pole keeps it where you left it.

The display is surrounded by the typical plastic bezel. The bezel is about 1” on the top ¾” on the sides and 1 ½” on the bottom. The bottom of the bezel is also slightly rounded for looks.

Most of the bezel is silver with the balance around the control console being black. The panel itself tilts 70 degrees from side to side and 25 degree front to back. Sufficient, but I always wish for a little more downward tilt as I would like to mount the display on top of my 21” CRT.

LCD Panel
As noted above, some defective pixels may be unavoidable. The visuals of this monitor impress me. It has a nice looking picture. Sharp and consistent. If you buy an LCD monitor, here is a great program to run on it after you buy it. Makes finding bad pixels very easy.

The native resolution is 1280x1024 so icons and text tend to be quite small.

Controls
The controls are the standard fare. The monitor has a one touch auto adjustment button. Does an OK job and is so easy it is hard to go in and adjust everything manually.

Holy cow Batman, this thing moves
Funny as it seems it wasn’t until I got the thing home that I realized it would rotate into portrait mode. Basically that would be like sitting your regular monitor on it’s side.

Envision includes the Pivot Pro software Version 7 for adjusting the video to match the position of the monitor.

It seems to work well, although I wish the display would automatically switch based on its orientation.

Here is a comparison, although somewhat janky, that I took of my 21” Trinitron displaying the same page as the Envision EN-7220 in portrait mode. But it at least give you an idea of how much more page you can view.

Extras
The monitor has 2 side pocket holder for pens and junk and a clip for the top to hold a picture. I find these frivolous and stupid and mine are still in the box.

Operating System: Windows

EVGA InterView 1700 - LCD monitor - 17 - 1440 x 900 - 220 cd/m2 - 500:1 - 8 ms
PCM

EVGA InterView 1700 - LCD monitor - 17 - 1440 x 900 - 220 cd/m2 - 500:1 - 8 ms
MacMall
AOC I2367FH 23 LED LCD Monitor - 5 ms

AOC I2367FH 23 LED LCD Monitor - 5 ms

The I2367Fh Black AOC 23 Monitor is an ultra slim 23 monitor at only 12mm thick and the display's ultra-narrow bezel measures just 2mm, for a borderle...

AOC I2367FH 23in. LED LCD Monitor - 5 ms

AOC I2367FH 23in. LED LCD Monitor - 5 ms

An ultra-narrow bezel around the screen crafts AOC 67 Series 23in.monitors with a seemingly borderless appearance. The display boasts a 50,000,000:1 d...
Office Depot

Asus - 20 LCD Monitor - Black

Asus - 20 LCD Monitor - Black

Dynamically enhances the display's contrast by adjusting the luminance of the backlight to achieve the darkest black and brightest white delivering li...
Best Buy

Ncr 5942 15 Color Lcd Monitor

Ncr 5942 15 Color Lcd Monitor

90 Day Warranty…Inspected by Certified Technicians...Top-Rated Service NCR 5942 15 Color LCD Monitor Items Included in Listing :NCR 5942 15 Color LC...
Envision - AOC E2425SWD 24 Class LCD LED Backlit Monitor - TFT Active, 60Hz, 20M:, LCD Mon

AOC E2425SWD 24' LCD LED Backlit Monitor The AOC E2425SWD 24' LCD LED Backlit Monitor delivers stunningly crisp and impressive image quality, and exce...
TigerDirect.com

Touch7300 - LCD monitor - 17

ConnectPRO Touch7300 - LCD monitor - 17 - 1280 x 1024 - 230 cd/m2 - 25 ms - black
MacMall