Carnival Tropicale

First Cruise

Aug 20, 2000

Pros:Fun, romantic, exciting, less expensive than other cruise lines.

Cons:Not enough time if you take less than 7 days.

My first cruising experience was aboard the Tropicale, which at the time we took that cruise, it left from Los Angeles. I was expecting a larger ship but I was not in the least disappointed. It was an older ship but it had a sense of elegance to it. The spiral staircase with brass handrails, the tapestry hanging from the top deck stairway to the bottom deck. The rooms on the lower floors were quite small, but we were on the main deck with an outside cabin and that room was large enough to accomodate us. The higher up you went, the larger the rooms.
The food left a little to be desired at times, but other times it was quite good. It seemed there was always something going on that was food related and you could also get room service any hour of the day or night. We took advantage of room service on several occassions at midnight or later and was quite pleased with what we ordered. I do feel that your sodas should have been included in the package.
I thought the shows were the best I had seen in quite some time. Some were funny, some were musical productions which were just as good as going to the theater to see. The Cruise Director kept us in stitches during the shows and in between. Even when he wasn't "on the job", he was out milling about, doing something totally crazy. There wasn't a dull moment. They seemed to always have something to do, so you really spent little time in the cabins. The bands around the pool played Jamaican music most of the time and was quite enjoyable.
We took the 7 day cruise and our ports of call were Puerta Viarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. The first 2 were beautiful and the sightseeing tours were fantastic. The latter was quite scarry. When we got off the ship, there were guards all around with submachine guns. We felt as if we were in the middle of some kind of war or something. Wasn't very pleased with that stop. We spent at least 2 full days at sea, the weather was perfect, the sunsets gorgeous, breathtaking.
My only gripe about the trip was having to pay the waiters, busboys, cabin stewards, etc. at the end of the trip. I feel we payed a lot of money for the cruise to start with and should not have to pay extra at the end. When they add up all the ones you need to give tips to, it can be very, and I mean very expensive. They need to realize some people just get buy with the cruise as it is and don't need that extra expense.
As for reccommending this ship, yes I do. The cruise line itself is just what they state....the 'fun ships'. Happy sailing to all who endeavor on this jaunt.