Read Reviews (25) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2005 AVEO

Love this little slot car.

by Coz:      Feb 13, 2008

Pros: Great looks, great fuel economy.
Cons: Poor sound insulation.
The Bottom Line: I am very happy with this purchase but recomend that buyers consider doing "upgrades" to the car.

During football season I drive a ton of miles all over the region and at $3 a gallon putting those miles on my Caddy was brutal. I got married last year so we consolidated our "fleet" of vehicles and went shopping for a high fuel economy car to take up those miles reducing our costs for fuel and saving wear and tear on the other cars. While looking at the Yaris my wife stumbled upon a 2005 Aveo that was all tricked out with very low miles (15K).

We had seen the stock version but were not that impressed and then along came this "Aveo R" and we were hooked. Graphite black, tinted windows, custom grill, 16 inch wheels, low profile tires, roof wing, K & N air intake, computer chip installed and Viper Security system with remote and power door locks made this version of the Aveo unique. The dealer needing to sell units before the end of the quarter helped us get a steal of a price so we couldn't say no.

This car has been a blast. It drives like a dream, handles great, is surprisingly roomy, and comfortable. It turns heads everywhere we go and even have other Aveo drivers puzzled because it looks much better than the stock car.

With the modifications it gets me 30-32 miles per gallon on average and has needed nothing outside the normal service.

A surprise came when my wife had driven it to work and we had a rare daytime snow storm of about 4 inches (it is so fun she steals it from me during the offseason). She was shocked that it handled better than her RAV4 in the snow. I still would feel safer having her out in an SUV in the snow but it was great to know we don't have to worry about getting stuck.

I have to admit that I am spoiled by all the "gadgets" in my other cars so the bare bones nature of this car is a little disappointing but I just crank up the tunes and enjoy driving it and the fact I can actually pass up a few gas stations. The lack of an arm rest and center console means that the only storage in the car is the glove box which holds a lot for a small car.

The biggest downside to me is the noise. The car does not have much sound deadening in it and you really notice all the noise. It is most notable when cruising and talking on the cell phone as others can tell when I am in this car by the background noise through the headset. I am sure that with the K&N filter and low profile tires the noise is worse than it should be but that is the one thing that bothers me.

All in all I am very happy with this car and would recommend that those that need an economy car and love driving consider getting one of these and doing the "upgrades" to make it a fun car to drive.

Amount Paid (US$): 6,000