Read Reviews (12) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2005 Chevrolet Impala

toiletoctopus is an Advisor on Epinions in Cars & Motorsports, Hotels & Travel

toiletoctopus is a Top Reviewer on Epinions in Magazine Subscriptions, Hotels & Travel, Sports & Outdoors, Wellness & Beauty, Restaurants & Gourmet, Books

Epinions Most Popular Authors - Top 200

View all reviews by toiletoctopus

Perfect Replacement for the Crown Victoria

by toiletoctopus:      Feb 10, 2005

Pros: Acceleration, Driving Ability
Cons: Gas Mileage
The Bottom Line: If you want a practical fun car this is a great one!

I work in the public safety business, and we drive Ford Explorers and Chevrolet Impalas. We used to drive Crown Victorias as our sedan, and I liked it a lot. Now we drive the Chevrolet Impala, and it is a great replacement that handles all duties effectively. It is well built, and Chevrolet has a winner here that drives brilliantly.

The Impalas we use have these options, and they are the LS model. They come with A/C, power steering, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, cloth seats, airbags(front passenger/driver), alloy wheels, rear defroster, 4 Disc ABS brakes, cruise control,fog lights, and a AM/FM CD player. All of these features work great. The Air conditioning is very effective on hot days, and the heater works fast in heating up the car. The defroster can completely clear up the front and rear windows in an average of under 30 seconds during operation, and the cruise is easy to apply.(Its on the steering wheel.) The stereo is great, and it produces a lot of power. If you speed up or slow down the stereo automatically adjusts the volume to the level you want it-it took a while to figure out thats why the volume went up fast while accelerating at a high level!) The stereo also has buttons that you can program your stations by category, such as pop, news, information, urban, etc. Also, the stereo provides information such as artist and song on some music stations. The sound is incredible-one of the best car package stereos I've experienced. The power windows work with a push of a button on the doors, and the power mirror adjustments on the driver side are on the left door. They are very easy to change, and you can toggle the button to left or right side mirror without any problems. The seating is very comfortable, although a bit low to the ground. The seats have plenty of support with the right amount of firmness, and you can move the seating position by manipulating a button on the left floor side.(Back/Forward) Visibility is excellent, there are no blind spot issues. The console is well designed, and the gauges for speed, gas level, and temperature are easy to read. There are a lot of "dummy lights," just in case you have a maintenance issue. The best one is the tire pressure gauge, which is sensitive.(A great safety option)

Driving this car is a dream. The acceleration is incredible, and if you floor it you will smoke the tires. Zero to sixty mile and hour time is very fast, and the engine moves incredibly quick to up to 100 miles per hour. The engine has a nice throaty roar when applying acceleration, but it is quiet in normal operation. There is no shaking at high speeds, as this car is well constructed to take a beating. The braking is very competent, as the four disc ABS system springs to life in all conditions. Shifting is quiet, effortless, and proficient. It has an electronically controlled transmission.These brakes work well in all weather conditions, and I was impressed with how they worked in the snow this past month. It is a front wheel drive vehicle, which does help in that regard, and its also good at night with its excellent headlights. The interior visibilty is great, as the gauges light up enough to not hurt your eyes. The tires on the Impala are 225/60/16's which cost around $85-$120 to replace, and they handle well.

I really like this vehicle, and am thinking about purchasing one to have as my personal vehicle. The reliability has been excellent, as we have put them through tough conditions only to be rewarded with shining achievements. It handles so well in all conditions, and it reminds me of 1960's Chevy's with power and performance. Between this and the amount of room for a family, this car is a winner. My only complaint is the car does not get the 20 miles per gallon in the city, and 30 mpg on the highway that the EPA states it does. Its more around 16 and 25. However, this car's fun value and driving ability make it worth getting a few less miles on its 17 gallon tank. The 3.8 liter 200 horsepower engine makes it all worth the while!
Amount Paid (US$): 24,000