Read Reviews (12) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2005 Chevrolet Impala

One of the best values in cars

by nds1982:      Jun 9, 2007

Pros: Handling; roomy; many standard options; well built; economical; good acceleration; great looks!
Cons: front skid guard scrapes over parking curbs; rough surfaces road noise; stereo good, not great.
The Bottom Line: This is one of the best values out there in sedans and IMO is better than the Honda Accord and equal to the Toyota Camry.

I previously had a Lumina I liked and bought a used 2005 Impala from a rental company. I made sure it had at least anti-lock brakes and traction control. I then bought an upgraded back seat from a junk yard and then installed a leather kit over the upholstery. I love this car. It drives great. No rattles or squeaks. I get 30-31.5 mpg on the highway and 18-19 in city (probably a little lower than normal because I live *in* Seattle) with the 2.5 L engine. It has plenty of acceleration when you need it, you don't need the bigger engines. I even kept the alloys wheels off my Lumina, they fit the Impala fine and so kept my Costco Michelins, too! Lots of room in this car, I wanted and got the bench seat, so it can seat 6 when you need it. The trunk is huge. By the time I was done buying it and upgrading it, I only spent between $14-15K and it only had 25K miles on it, still under warranty. I have had it almost a year now and put 8K miles on it with no problems at all. The stereo is decent though not the best either. It can rain a lot here and this cars plows through water with no fishtailing or loss of control. Like the Lumina, it can also go through snow with little effort. You can't get a better car for the money in my opinion. I like this better than a Honda Accord and it is equal to a Toyota Camry. Save yourself a lot of money and get this car!
Amount Paid (US$): 12,550
Condition: Used
Model Year: 2005
Model and Options: Impala 2.5 L 6 cyl with anti-lock brakes and traction control