Read Reviews (18) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2005 Chevrolet Silverado

View all reviews by polishsumgai

2005 Silverado 4 door crew cab

by polishsumgai:      Jun 30, 2006

Pros: Excellent gas mileage - excellent resale / trade in value
Cons: 5.5' bed - steering column problem on ALL Silverados for last 4 or 5 years
The Bottom Line: Great truck - last 2 Chevy trucks were far superior to any other trucks I had owned previously

I had a 2004 regular cab Silverado with 18000 miles and went to the dealer for an oil change in February 2005. While the '04 was being serviced I noticed some '05 crew cabs in the back lot worth $19,990 prices on the windshields. I asked my salesman what the story was and why with a sticker price of $31,500 they were so cheap. He told me there was a dealer incentive package on them - needless to say I traded my '04 that day for the '05 for $3000 cash.

Both the '04 and '05 were great trucks, the ride in the '05 was far superior due to the longer wheel base. I put an Extang soft tonneau cover over the bed and from day one got 24.5 MPG on the highway driving 60 MPH with the cruise and a/c on, 21 around town. Very comfortable seats, lots of leg and head room both in front and back.

Short bed (5.5' ) is the only option in the crew cab - with an extended cab you can get a full size 8' bed.

Both the '04 and '05 needed to have the steering column joint removed and repacked with grease at 15,000 miles - service rep told me it's a problem has corrected by using heavier grease - I don't believe it .. I think it's an engineering flaw.

Well after 18 months of the '05 I was back at a Chevy dealer for an oil change at 21,000 miles and looking at the '07 Avalanche ( which a Consumer magazine rated highly in it's auto issue ). I am afraid it was another deal I could not refuse - the dealer gave me $18,000 for the '05 and $1500 buyer incentive = $19500. It cost me $490 to drive my '05 for 18 months AND the '07 Avalanche price was $28,222. Those are tough numbers to beat. ALSO in the Avalanche with the mid section removed I can carry an 4' x 8' piece of plywood.

Amount Paid (US$): 19990