Read Reviews (10) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2005 TOWN & COUNTRY TOURING

Town and Country SWB top of the line!

by soberley:      Jul 29, 2005

Pros: Luxury vehical with a very affordable price.
Cons: SWB does not have a lot of standard cargo room.
The Bottom Line: If you are in the market for a super quiet and nice riding van with a bit of flair I would suggest this one.

Preface:
Recently a decision was forced upon me. I had a 2000 Nissan Sentra GXE that I loved to death. I am a big guy and fit just right into this car. The car had 110,000 miles on it and I had to decide if I wanted to get the transmission rebuilt or get a new car. I hate Buying new so I was about get into the argument mode when my wife brought up the fact that soon we would have 2 kids instead of 1 and then I got to thinking of space issues. No way, with me in the front, could I fit either kid behind me in a car seat..... so we went new car shopping. I looked at FORD SUVs and Toyota SUVs and so on and so forth. I then thought we have 1 Town and Country 2003 Limited and it's a great vehicle so maybe I'll look at the lower end Chryslers. I looked at the Town and Country LX, Limited, and all the other models and then at the Dodge Grand Caravan and standard Caravan (Same thing to me) and decided on the 2005 Town and Country SWB (Short Wheel Base).

Van review:
The 2005 Town and Country SWB has a 3.3 L Engine which makes for a pretty peppy start and smooth cruise. Also the gas milage seems to be holding at about 23 MPG which isn't too bad. The model I had choosen did not have the power sliding doors or too many goodies, but it did have 2 zone heatig for Driver and Passanger, AM\FM CD player and adjustable pedals.
Here are some of the stock things the van comes with though:

-DimensionsLength: 189.10 Inches
-Rear Quarter Windows: Power
-Rear Wiper: Intermittent Rear Wiper
-Rear Door Type: Liftgate
-Side Door Type: Manual Sliding Side Door
-Wheel Rim Size: 15 X 6.5 In.
-Wheel Rim Type: Steel Rims
-Seatbelts: Front
-MiscWhere Built: United States

OPTIONS:
Popular Equipment Group 1
Includes dual zone air conditioning, overhead console with trip computer, universal remote transmitter, power adjustable heated exterior mirrors, overhead ash tray/cupholder light, roof rack, AM/FM stereo, cassette deck, CD player with changer control, 6 speakers and dual illuminated vanity mirrors.

The only other things I had as options were the adjustable pedals and the Inferno Red Paint (Don't know why they charge you more for paint that the cops see better).

When you drive one of these vehicles you will understand wht I say it is a premium vehicle. The Steering is tight and acceleration very good for the size of the van. It feels more like a luxury car than a family wagon. (The only way I would get a mini-van was to get one that had INFERNO-RED on it to save a small part of my manhood) The seating is not stow'n'go with the SWB model, but that is OK as the stow'n'go seats are not as comfotable as the bucket seats. After haggling with the Dealer we got the price down to 19,260.00 before trade in and 16,300.00 after trade in. The MSRP was 23,600.00 So I felt we had gotten a pretty good deal.

I won't spend a lot of time on the options because after all we all know what we want in a car, but I will say this you can get a Town and Country with almost every possible option you can think of it depends on the amount you want to spend. If you are in the market for a Mini-van with a little pizzaz then I would suggest at least taking a little look at the Town and Country over the Dodge one big difference between them is the insulation that Chrysler uses it doe realy reduce road and engine noise. Plus, as you may have heard on the commercials, They have a better resale value.

Amount Paid (US$): 19,260.00