Read Reviews (7) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2005 GMC Sierra

Z71 SLT much better than SLE.

by glockm22:      Feb 24, 2010

Pros: 4WD works great and ease of use. SLT trim is nice.
Cons: SLE trim is cheap. 4:10 gears are a waste. Ext cab windows
The Bottom Line: I would own a crew cab Z71 SLT trim model. I would stay away from the extended cab and the SLE trim.

I owned both trim models in 2005. Both trucks came with the 5.3L motor. The SLT came with 3.42 axles while I got 4.10's in the SLE. The 4.10's were a waste in the SLE. The only difference was 17 mpg in the SLE with 4.10's compared to 21 mpg in the SLT with 3.42's. There was no felt acceleration improvement with the 4.10 gears. The first purchase was the SLT which was lost in an accidental fire. I then purchased a replacement in SLE trim as a replacement to save a few bucks (big mistake). The SLT was a much better built truck quality wise. It was loaded; Bose System, navigation, leather, heated seats etc. The SLT was more comfortable and quality was just much more thorough. The SLE felt cheaply made. I actually sold the SLE within 6 months. If the fire had never happened, I would still be in my SLT trim Z71.

Both trucks were extended cab models and had trouble with wind noise coming from the rear flap window in both trucks. I had it replaced 3x in both trucks but the latch is a bad design and does not cause a good seal. I recommend people get the crew cab because of this design flaw on the rear side window in the extended cabs.
Condition: New