Cruzan Raspberry Rum

Cruzan Raspberry Rum: A Little Artificial, but Good for Tropical Drinks

Jan 21, 2007

Pros:Like other fruit rums, it's good for tropical drinks

Cons:Like other fruit rums, it has limited use

The Bottom Line: This is a passable flavored rum that isn't so good taken straight up but does taste good in fruity, tropical drinks.

I don’t consume much liquor but when I do, one of the types I enjoy is rum. I prefer dark rums to light rums and straight rums to flavored. Lately, I have noticed that the flavored rum market has been growing like crazy and on those rare occasions when I visit a liquor store, it is visibly apparent that more and more companies are expanding their lines to include additional flavors of rum. One company that has made a name for itself by adding different taste sensations to rum is Cruzan and one of its many product offerings is Cruzan Raspberry Rum, a flavored liquor.

Basic Characteristics of This Liqueur:

Cruzan Raspberry Rum is clear in color and has a thicker body than traditional liquors. A good swirl in a glass releases a fragrant bouquet of fruit, rum, and alcohol. The thicker liquid leaves legs on the sides of a glass that take their time to dissipate.

This product has a flavor with an obvious raspberry component but also with the tastes of oak, rum, and other fruit like strawberry. There is a distinct alcohol burn when taken straight, but this burn eventually fades away, leaving an aftertaste of sweet berries.

Cruzan Raspberry Rum is a little weaker than most other distilled spirits with an alcohol level of 27.5 percent (55 proof). It is also a little more expensive than other flavored rums, with a price tag of about $15 for a one- liter bottle.

Drinks Made with This Liquor:

Cruzan Raspberry Rum hasn’t been around long enough to establish itself in many drink recipe books. But here are some recipes that use this product as one of the main ingredients:

Raspberry Wave:

1.5 oz. Coconut Rum
1 oz. Dark Crème de Cacao
3 oz. Pineapple Juice

Combine all ingredients with ice and shake. Strain into a highball glass and serve.

Raspberry Island Tea:

4 oz. Iced Tea

Combine the ingredients over ice and serve. Either sweet or unsweetened iced tea may be used, depending on ones’ person preference.

Wild Berry Cosmo:

3 oz. Cranberry Juice
Fresh lime juice

Combine rum, cranberry juice and about 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of lime juice together and shake with ice. Strain into a martini glass.

Final Thoughts:

Cruzan is one of the best- known names in flavored rums with a product line that includes coconut, vanilla, banana, pineapple, and other flavors. Cruzan Raspberry Rum is one of the newest flavored rums and its addition to the Cruzan family brings the total number of flavored Cruzan rums to eight.

Cruzan Raspberry Rum is made by combining aged estate Cruzan light rum with raspberry flavorings. This combination results in a product that is much like other flavored rums in its appearance and its ability to aid in the making/mixing of tropical drinks. The rum base in this product is obvious and the fruit flavor is evident. This makes it a good choice for mixers in many tropical drinks that call for regular rum.

Most flavors rums are fairly sweet and smooth but Cruzan Raspberry Rum is a little different. The sweet taste isn’t noticed immediately because there is a much more pronounced alcohol burn with this product compared to others. After sampling and rating the Malibu line of flavored rums (Malibu Coconut, Malibu Pineapple, Malibu Mango, and Malibu Passionfruit). I expected this product to offer the same sweetness and drinkability. Instead, it has a much stronger bite and the alcohol presence reduces it smoothness. This took me by surprise at first and I wasn’t so sure I liked what I tasted. For this reason, I don’t recommend this rum for drinking shots. It lacks the easy drinking sweetness found in other flavored rums and the alcohol burn is not only unpleasant, it is also a bit unusual when you consider this rum is only 27.5 percent alcohol.

However, for making mixed drinks, Cruzan Raspberry Rum is a pretty good rum product. I have tried it in several drinks including the ones listed above along with lemonade (with and without added club soda) and it does make for some good tasting drinks. I have noticed, however, that some of these fruit flavored rums are not as versatile as the coconut and vanilla flavored rums (the first types of flavored rums to gain widespread approval). With the fruit flavors, there are some drinks that taste good with them and some that do not. Cruzan Raspberry Rum, for example, tastes good in lemonade but doesn’t match up so well mixed with Coca- Cola. You basically have to mix a small amount and see for yourself it tastes good or not. There are no guarantees with Cruzan Raspberry Rum.

Overall, Cruzan Raspberry Rum is an acceptable flavored rum product. It seems a tad artificial in its taste (the raspberry flavor seems like it came straight from an artificial extract) and it isn’t that good taken as a shot. But it does taste good in iced tea and in various other tropical drinks. It is a rum worth sampling when you get the chance but it certainly isn’t a necessity for anyone’s liquor cabinet.

Homemade Carribbean Spiced Rum Cake Recipe Cruzan On To Try This 1 Will Please

Homemade Carribbean Spiced Rum Cake Recipe Cruzan On To Try This 1 Will Please

/p Welcome To My Auction Description HOMEMADE Carribbean Spiced Rum Cake Made with The Real Deal Cruzan Rum MADE IN USVI Straight From St. John USVI M...

Tortuga Rum Cake (16oz)

Tortuga Rum Cake (16oz)

If you love tropical vacations and indulging in decadent desserts, look no further than the freshly baked Tortuga Rum Cakes – direct from the Cayman...