-9%

Cuisinart DFP-3 3 Cups Food Processor

+$8.20 shipping Sears

Cuisinart Beauty! -- Powerful and Space-Saving Design

Nov 16, 2008

Pros:compact space-saving size, chute attachment feeds food into bowl, easy to use and clean

Cons:no storage area for the extra blades/discs

The Bottom Line: excellent food processor that is powerful yet compact.

For years I used an old Waring food processor that was bulky, heavy and a counter hog.  The time came for a change.  I'm pleased to say that I chose the Cuisinart Handy Prep 3-Cup Food Processor - Model # DFP-3.  Let me tell you why I like it so much.

Description

This is a compact 3-cup food processor measuring 16" high x 7" wide x 9 3/4" deep.  It only weighs 9 1/2 pounds.

The processor comes with the housing base that has a 3-position control switch (on/off/pulse).  A clear plastic cover fits atop the 3-cup work bowl.  A "pusher" is included to push food through the feed tube in the cover.  There is also an additional option ... the Continuous Feed Chute, which can be used to "shoot" food directly from the processor into a bowl on the counter.

A Chopping/Mixing Blade, Medium Shredding Disc, a 2mm Slicing Disc, and Ejector Disc, and spatula are included.  The Ejector Disc is used in combination with the Continuous Feed Chute.

There is also an Instruction and Recipe booklet included that is written in English only.  It is 30 pages and includes 27 recipes in the back half of the book.  Some recipes are: Coleslaw, Hummus, Asian Carrot Salad, Meatloaf with Mushroom and Herbs, Savory Sweet Potato and Carrot Bake, Pizza, White Wheat Baguette, Cherry Walnut Cinnamon Buns, Double Chocolate Brownies with Walnuts, Apple Streusel Pie.

My Experiences

I bought this food processor in the Spring knowing that I would be harvesting a lot of vegetables from my large garden.  I wanted a food processor I could leave on the counter that was compact.  I planned to shred and slice vegetables for baking and cooking, and I also wanted to prepare food through it for freezing.

The most difficult part to this food processor was initially assembling all the pieces (ex: locking the bowl into position on the base).   Follow the instructions in the booklet, and you won't have a problem.  The instructions are detailed and divided into steps (but are not illustrated).

I have no problem using this food processor.  It is easy to operate.  I have used both the bowl and chute attachment and find that for me the chute works best.  I place a mixing or serving bowl on the counter beneath the end of the chute, and keep pushing food through the feeding tube.  A mixing/serving bowl holds much more than the 3-cup work bowl that attaches to the base.  This has worked great for shredding zucchini and other summer squash from my garden.  I bake in volume and appreciate the chute attachment.  The feed chute is smaller than a larger food processor, so I cut larger vegetables lengthwise so they feed easier to the blades.

The base is heavy enough so that when the food processor is operating, the base stays anchored in place.  It does not shimmy across the counter.  Even though the manufacturer says that this food processor can knead dough ... I would never use it for that purpose.  I have serious doubts whether this food processor could handle stiff dough.

The pieces of this processor are easy to clean.  The base must be hand cleaned with a damp cloth (no immersing in water).  However, the bowl, chute and blades are top-rack dishwasher safe.  I always hand wash all the pieces using Dawn dishwashing liquid.  The pieces clean beautifully.

If I had one wish, I would want this food processor to come with a small rack or holding unit to store the various cutting, mixing and shredding blades.  I improvised a holding place for them by using the clear plastic bottom of a small Ferrero Rocher Hazelnut Chocolate candy package.  Turned out it's the perfect size for storage.

Purchasing

This food processor normally retails for $110.00.  Amazon.com offers it for $47.99.  However, I felt better driving to my local Kohl's store rather than having this appliance delivered.  Kohl's was running a sale, so I paid about the same amount as I would have if purchasing it from Amazon.

Summary

This Cuisinart Handy Prep 3-Cup Food Processor was a terrific buy.  I use it all the time when shredding and slicing vegetables and fruits to make quick breads and other baked goods and dishes.  It does a fantastic job!

I hope you found this review useful.

Enjoy the day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

West Bend Automatic Egg Cooker

Keurig B50 Coffee Maker

Braun Coffee Grinder (and flax seed)

KitchenAid 5-Speed Hand Mixer