Definitive Technology BP6B Floor Standing Speakers Reviews

Aug 9, 2001

• Flatness:
  • Imaging:
  • Overall Sound:

Pros:$1,200 worth of sound for under $600. Adaptable to various environments.

Cons:May need to be placed as much as a foot off the back wall.

The Bottom Line: These speakers sound great, look great, and adapt to several different listening environments. You would need several hundred more dollars to get better sound.

Since many aspects of judging speaker quality are subjective, there is still no substitute for listening with your own ears. Find a merchant that will let you "test drive" a few pairs in your own listening environment. That said, I will offer my opinion about Def Tech's BP6Bs.

I own two pairs that I use in separate rooms. One pair is used strictly for music in a long and fairly narrow room with carpeting and other sound-absorbing material. The other pair is used for music and home theatre in a large room with paneling, and a masonary floor. Both are powered by a Yamaha RX-V690. The speakers sound great in both rooms.

Some people don't like the bi-polar sound, but I love it. The sound is rich, and produces what is often referred to as a large "sound stage". Although none of the speaker cones are larger than 6 inches, the bass sounds great (I do not use a subwoofer). Instead of a small "sweet spot", these speakers sound great from almost anywhere in the room.

If you like the sound of these speakers, you will be hard-pressed to find better sound for anywhere near the cost of these speakers. In a word - value.

Two 25mm Pure Aluminum Dome Tweeters/ 91 dB Efficiency/ 4-8 Ohms Nominal Impedance/ Up To 175 Watts Per Channel/ Black Piano Gloss Finish/ Sold As Eac...
Abt Electronics
Bipolar Tower Speaker Black bipolar technology with both front- and rear-firing speaker arrays,frequency response 25-30,000 Hz,handles up to 175 watts
Crutchfield
Learn more about Magnolia Premium Installation This powerful floorstanding speaker delivers up to 175W of power over a wide frequency range for dramat...
Best Buy
Definitive Technology BP6B Tower Loudspeaker (Single, Black)
Definitive Technology BP6B Tower Loudspeaker (Single, Black)