Dell A940 All-In-One Inkjet Printer

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Works for simple home printing

Apr 28, 2008
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Low cost, easy to use and setup, good for general use.

Cons:Vista issues, expensive ink costs $70 for one black and one color.

The Bottom Line: Would probably not buy again, but it does a decent job for what I use it for.

We have had this printer for almost five years now. We bought it for its ability to fax, print, and copy. It is a good machine, but it does have a few drawbacks. Let me start there since for general use of its functions it does everything fairly well.

The scanning quality could be better. Things come out clear but I have seen better.
The scan and fax buttons on the machine itself are nearly worthless. It works much better and easier if you open the software that comes with it first and use that. When we have tried to use the buttons the software never opens on the computer and the process ends up failing. This is especially true of the fax.
The paper sits straight in the holder, but as the feeder pulls it in it can become jammed very easily if you do not have it lined up just right. There is a slider that you are supposed to set over near the paper, but if you put it too close it will jam and if you put it too far away it will comes out crooked.
Have to order ink from Dell, although I have heard that Staples now sells Dell compatible ink.
Huge issue when we got our new PC with Vista. Windows asks you to insert the disk that came with your printer, but it has an XP driver on it. Windows is not smart enough to notice this and disallow it so you wind up installing an incompatible driver. Then you have to go to Dell and get a patch that removes the XP driver so you can finally install, from Dell, the proper Vista driver. After all that our printer finally worked with Vista and we have had no further issues since.
Has difficulty scanning anything over 8.5 x 11. Although the scanning surface is plenty big enough for larger items the software cannot seem to translate it.
Not great for printing photos even on good photo paper.
Software is on the simple side not really allowing you to go beyond the basics with the machine.
Must have both ink cartridges inserted in order to print.

Here are the reasons we have kept this machine other than not wanting to spend money on a new one when this one still works.

Good machine for general home projects and letters. Just don't try to get too fancy.
Easy to change printer cartridges.
Scanning is a great feature to have. If you are scanning for email or fax of either documents or photos this machine will do the job.
It faxes just fine although a bit slowly. Still beats paying Kinkos a buck a page.
Prints documents in both color and black and white with good quality. Words are crisp and clear. I have not had it smudge or smear. Ink dries fairly quick.
Easy to use software and also easy to install.
Easy to load paper.

If you need a simple machine to do basic printing, faxing and scanning then this one will suit you fine, but I would not buy again.

Operating System: Windows

Brand Hp Deskjet 940c Standard Inkjet Printer

Brand Hp Deskjet 940c Standard Inkjet Printer

Make all sorts of fun things fast, with this versatile HP printer. The HP Deskjet 940 series delivers photo-quality images and sharp black text on a w...

Dell 725 Inkjet Tray Usb Power Cord W/toner/drivers Disc Color Printer 0ff790

Dell 725 Inkjet Tray Usb Power Cord W/toner/drivers Disc Color Printer 0ff790

The Dell Printer 725 is the ideal color inkjet printer for your home or home office. A printer for everyday use, it prints documents and photos in col...

Hp Deskjet 3054 All-in-one Inkjet Printer

Hp Deskjet 3054 All-in-one Inkjet Printer

Color Printer, All-In-One Printer, Inkjet Printer

Newegg.com

HP - OfficeJet 150 Mobile All-in-One Inkjet Printer, Up to 22 ppm (Black) & 18 ppm (Color)

HP OfficeJet 150 Mobile All-in-One Inkjet Printer, Up to 22 ppm (Black) & 18 ppm (Color), 50 Sheets Input, USB 2.0 - Print, Copy, Scan The HP OfficeJe...
Adorama

Officejet 6600 Premium Wireless e-All-in-One Inkjet Printer, Copy/Fax/

Officejet 6600 Premium Wireless e-All-in-One Inkjet Printer, Copy/Fax/

Get professional color you can count on for a low cost per page with this wireless e-all-in-one inkjet printer. HP ePrint gives you the tools to print...
Canon Mp280 All-in-one Inkjet Printer Sealed W/ Inks

Canon Mp280 All-in-one Inkjet Printer Sealed W/ Inks

Print true-to-life images with the Canon PIXMA MP280. The Full-photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Engineering technology employed in this Canon all-in-one...

Brand Lexmark X2580 All-in-one Inkjet Printer

Brand Lexmark X2580 All-in-one Inkjet Printer

The All-In-One Lexmark x2580 InkJet Printer is the solution to your entire printing requirement. This Lexmark All-In-One Printer print Up to 25 ppm in...

Brother MFC-J4410Dw Wireless All-In-One Inkjet Printer BRTMFCJ4410DW

Brother MFC-J4410Dw Wireless All-In-One Inkjet Printer BRTMFCJ4410DW

Brother BRTMFCJ4410DW This business inkjet all-in-one offers the ultimate combination of fast print speeds, TouchScreen display with TouchPanel, up t...
Wayfair Supply

HP - Officejet 6600 e All-in-One Inkjet Printer, 4 Ink Cartridges, 14 ppm Black, 8 ppm Col

HP Officejet 6600 e All-in-One Inkjet Printer, 4 Ink Cartridges, 14 ppm Black, 8 ppm Color, 35 Page Feeder - Print, Copy, Scan, Fax, Web The HP Office...
Adorama