Dell Latitude C640 14.1" (30 GB, Intel Pentium 4, 2 GHz, 512 MB) Notebook - c640 Reviews

Dell Latitude C640 PC Notebook, Perfect For On the Road Epinions Reviews

May 15, 2007 (Updated Apr 27, 2009)

Pros:Working well for me even though it is a used product I purchased.

Cons:Heavier than I thought it would be.

The Bottom Line: This seems to be a good choice for me as i looked for an inexpensive used laptop.. It's working well and I am Very Happy with it.

My daughter who is away at school has had a notebook for a while. I always wanted one but never opted to spend the dollars for it.

Purchased Used

My daughters friend was about to upgrade to a new notebook and was selling her used Dell Latitude C640 PC Notebook that she said she had for about two years. For a $100 with a wireless system, I thought I would take a chance. I purchased it.

I was eager to be sure it was working well in that I prepaid without my ever even seeing the thing. The gal I purchased it from already left the campus for the summer. We were staying at a hotel in Maine that offered free Internet service. That's all I needed. After getting the "code" from the hotel I stayed at, I was WWW set up. very cool for a guy who has felt like he wears a ball and chain with his home PC.

Good battery life

The notebook was in my daughters room for a few weeks previous to my pick up, without being used. She handed it to me and I opened it up. Life came to the screen and after a few moments was waiting for it to prepare itself for my uses. The battery showed half and the screen noted that the unit still had about an hour and a half of battery use to go.

After using the Dell Latitude C640 PC Notebook I have found that it says it holds a three hour charge and does indeed last that long. It is good to know, however, that I can and do use the Dell 640 notebook with the included power cord. I also have the option of purchasing a secondary power pack that can be jacked right into this unit.

Getting Started and Shutting Down

I do find that the notebook takes a little longer than my home PC to boot up, perhaps a minute and a half or two. It's not bad, but because I leave my home PC on 24/7 it seems like a step I would like to cut some time off.

Shutting it down also takes some time. Perhaps i shouldn't let my lack of patience rule me but after I hit the shut down, I close it up and move on. I haven't had any problem with that.

Specs

To find out most of the specs of this laptop simply click on the "details" at the top of the page. Even though this review does not have much tech language, I'm hoping it is helpful to someone looking at the second hand market of this Dell Latitude C640PC Notebook. I don't know much about tech features but I do understand some of the "benefits" they may or may not bring.

getting Prepared and Short Time Use

The gal cleaned out much of the soft wear she had in it. Whether the notebook had it or she put in the software I do have Microsoft Powerpoint 2007, Microsoft Office Exel, and Microsoft office Word. We are starting to become friends. They are easy to use.

I was concerned that she didn't leave a lot of "junk" that would slow down the notebook or I would have to clean out. I don't use many windows at a time when I use this notebook. I do use it primarily for writing Epinions reviews and for checking mail. While writing a review I may open a window or two for source information but never have had any problems with the unit freezing up like a Dell PC I have in the office that does so when too many windows are open or I move too quickly from one to the next. This lil' $100 baby has made me happy in that regard.

Once or twice I went to do some reverse sync of some songs purchased and on my home PC through iTunes. I went to place a couple, via my iPod to my Dell notebook. iTunes and iPod allows for a few songs to be transferred that way. All went well but the process brought on some lour "whirring' sounds. I thought the notebook was preparing for take off. Otherwise this is a relatively quiet machine even with the cooling fan.

Some Little Things

It's pretty cool too. Well not too cool as far as temperature but it doesn't get as hot as some other units I have briefly tried over the years. The fan does seem to keep it cool and I suppose the noise from the fan, that really isn't much of a bother, can't really be helped. I did notice that my daughters Dell, a different model, has a fan that shuts off more often. This one is almost always pumpin' away.

I was a little surprised by the weight of the Dell Latitude C640 PC Notebook. I keep it in a "Jack Pack" (fans of the TV show 24 know what I mean) and after a while, the over eight pounds with the power cord, does get heavy. I do like the way it sits firm on a table or desk top. Between the weight and the bumpers, where is know "walking" with this unit.

As a home PC user that is comfortable with a mouse it took a little getting used to the touch pad. It didn't take long. I know like the response and found I didn't have to go and purchase a separate mouse that can be attached to this notebook. I also happen to like the ability the touch pad has to "click". A simple quick tap clicks through to whatever I like. This is especially helpful when I am browsing and want to keep any noise down to a minimum, like when in a hotel room and checking out Emails and the Epinions boards when my wife is sleeping in the same room where I am playing.

Happiness is a Good Display

I am very pleased with the bright and sharp display. There is a slight dark spot in the upper left hand corner that I imagine was not "factory" installed. The slight dark shadow isn't a nuisance nor is it spreading in any way.

The rest of the "body" is in good shape. I can see it took a drop or two from the obvious dings and dents on the outside casing. That said, everything else seems to be in excellent shape. It opens and closes easily and locks firm when closed.

I happen to like the feel of the keyboard. It's sensitive yet not overly so. It takes a solid "hit" but doesn't need a hard poke.

The machine has an opening on the front edge that accommodates both CD and the Floppy Discs. I have not used them yet. With what I do, I doubt I will. Most of my work is stored elsewhere on sites I use like Epinions.com and hotmail. Except for jumpin' to Google here and there...and the weather. I don't use this portable machine for much else.

Last Thoughts

I am happy I now own a portable computer that I can use when on the road. It has found the Internet access at the hotels I have been to without any problem from the laptop. At home I use it through a D-link wireless G router I have from when my daughter is home with her laptop. No prob.

The laptop has bumps and bruises via the previous owner but it all seems to be working flawlessly. I am a happy man.

D-link Wireless G Router WBR-1310
D-link WNA-1330 Wireless Adapter

Amount Paid (US$): 100 used

12.1 Dell Latitude D430 Laptop - Intel Core2Duo U7600 1.2GHz, 1GB, 60GB, Windows XP Professional (Off-Lease)

The Dell Latitude D430 Notebook Computer is designed for professionals who want mobility, convenience, and processing power in the workplace. This is ...
Dell Latitude Intel Core i3 i3-3217U 1.80 GHz 4GB 128GB SSD 14 LED

Dell Latitude Intel Core i3 i3-3217U 1.80 GHz 4GB 128GB SSD 14 LED

Part# 469-3883 Operating System Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit CPU Type Intel Core i3-3217U 1.8GHz Screen 14 Memory Size 4GB DDR3 Hard Disk 128GB SSD G...
Newegg.com

Dell Latitude E6420 Laptop, Intel Core i5 2520M 2.53Ghz, 16GB DDR3, 500GB Hard Drive, Windows 7, Referbished

Features a 2nd generation Intel Core i5 processor and Dell's signature business quality!
Dell Latitude E6420 Laptop, Intel Core i5 2520M 2.53Ghz, 8GB DDR3, 240GB SSD Hard Drive, Windows 7, Referbished

Dell Latitude E6420 Laptop, Intel Core i5 2520M 2.53Ghz, 16GB DDR3, 250GB Hard Drive, Windows 7, Referbished

Dell Latitude E6420 Laptop, Intel Core i5 2520M 2.53Ghz, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Hard Drive, Windows 7, Referbished

Dell Latitude E6420 Laptop, Intel Core i5 2520M 2.53Ghz, 4GB DDR3, 240GB SSD Hard Drive, Webcam, Windows 7, Referbished