Dell Dimension 8300 (120 GB, Intel Pentium 4, 2.66 GHz, 512 MB) Desktop - D83RL

Power supply is 305 Watts. Good system.

May 19, 2004 (Updated May 19, 2004)

• Quality of Tech Support:

Pros:305W power supply, nice case, relatively inexpensive, easy to upgrade.

Cons:Loud, some marginal components for a supposed "top end" desktop model.

The Bottom Line: Can't build your own or afford an Alienware / XPS? Snag the 8300.

The Dell 8300, at least as of 5/15/04, comes with a 305-watt power supply. That's pretty much the whole point of this review - to refute the claim that it's only 250W, as stated in other reviews. That's why you'll find this information here, in the title, and in the pros.

How do I know? The moment after I opened the box I opened the case, expecting major disappointment resulting from viewing a measly 250W PS. My anticipated dismay turned to cheer as soon as I saw the 305W rating stamped on the aluminum. Fifty-five more watts really brighten up your day. Still, that's still not a whole bunch of power in comparison to other higher-end systems, but somebody else on here said that Dell rates their PS conservatively. Sounds good to me – I’m convinced. In any case, don't fear the barely-firing-up-the-LEDs 250W claim. That's just a rumor.

In addition to the PS dispute, there are two other issues at hand. First: Why should an 8300, the KING of Dell desktops (except for the gaming-niche oriented XPS) even make the power supply an issue? Perched mightily above its lowly 2400 and 4600 inferiors, the 8300 should come with 350-400 Watts, and let no one dispute its ability to power any drive or card that comes along its path. That's why you avoid the plebeian 2400 and the mediocre 4600 in the first place - to get the next-best desktop from a good company. Sure, 305W isn't keeping me up at night, and it shouldn’t be too much of a concern to you either, but it's also going to be less than many customers will expect.

Second: How come Dell keeps their technical specs under wraps when you customize a system? When I configured mine, I knew I was buying the top-end model. I just assumed that the power supply would be more than adequate. (For years, Rolls-Royce horsepower figures were quoted simply as “adequate” and this failed to turn away many buyers.) Had I not been so trusting, however, I'm not sure how easily I would have found this information. Dell's website needs to be more transparent for the discriminating purchaser. (Dell’s specs on monitors are also a little shady. The resolution listed in their “help me choose” comparison online doesn’t always match the resolution listed on the monitor when it arrives at your house.)

Because of these two larger issues, you should be somewhat wary of the 8300. You don't automatically get the best components, and your skepticism won't be readily resolved by Dell's nebulous technical specifications.

A few more stumbling blocks, along these same lines:

1. As mentioned in other reviews, the DVD-ROM that comes with the system is sub par. I know Dell wants us all to buy the top-of-the-line DVD+/-R, but some of us aren't there yet. A quality component that didn't sound like it was going to rattle out of the drive bay at any moment would make me feel more secure in my purchase.

2. Noise - it takes a few days to get used to all the fan noise. If you have a quiet home / home office environment, the noise of the system will disrupt it. It's not going to compete much with ambient noise, however, so it won't be an issue for users with children or located next to jackhammer factories. Nevertheless, the noise problem is aggravated by the fact that the 2400 models don't make a sound. (I’ve been around many of them and you don’t hear peep – no fan, no HDD, nothing.) With the 8300 model, you get all the cool green plastic ductwork inside the case - but I don't think that this should come with the tradeoff of sounding like a jet airliner is about to take off in there. This is upsetting, and especially so when the low system on the totem pole, the deadly silent 2400, performs so well in this area. We're lucky that Russian subs didn't have 2400-model Dells on board during the Cold War. We might be flying a different flag right now. Now that I think about it, we should probably be marketing some 8300s to North Korea.

Enjoy the 875P chipset and the 800 MHz FSB. This is a good system, but not a top-flight one. There are going to be a few snags. But relative to the cost of the XPS, I'll take an 8300.

One last thought - the system does come pre-loaded with tons of junk. Fortunately, I was able to make quick work of most of it.

Operating System: Windows
Processor: Other
Processor speed: over 1000
RAM: More than 256
Internal Storage: DVD
Hard Drive (GB): Over 50

INTEL SL94R 3.0ghz - 800mhz Fsb Intel Pentium D Processors

INTEL SL94R 3.0ghz - 800mhz Fsb Intel Pentium D Processors

INTEL - PENTIUM D 930 3.0GHZ 4MB L2 CACHE 800MHZ FSB LGA775 SOCKET 65NM 95W PROCESSOR ONLY (SL94R). . IN STOCK.
Server Supply

Intel Pentium G620 2.60 Ghz Processor - Socket H2 Lga-1155 - (bx80623g620)

Intel Pentium G620 2.60 Ghz Processor - Socket H2 Lga-1155 - (bx80623g620)

The Intel Pentium processor delivers great desktop and mobile performance, low power enhancements, and multitasking for everyday computing.

Intel Pentium E2140 1m Cache 1.60ghz 800mhz Fsb Bx80557e2140 Sla3j Retail

Intel Pentium E2140 1m Cache 1.60ghz 800mhz Fsb Bx80557e2140 Sla3j Retail

Intel Pentium E2140 1M 1.60GHz 800MHz BX80557E2140 SLA3J New Retail Box Product Specifications: Product Information The Intel Pentium processor delive...

Intel Pentium Dual-core E5300 2.6GHz Desktop Processor

Intel Pentium Dual-core E5300 2.6GHz Desktop Processor

Get the processing power you need to multi task with ease. Download music, organize digital photos, and run office software all at the same time. The ...
Office Depot

Intel - BX80623G620 - Intel Pentium G620 Dual-core (2 Core) 2.60 GHz Processor - Socket H2 LGA-1155 - 1 x Retail Pack -

If you are looking for an ideal basic desktop system, then one built with an Intel Pentium processor is the right choice. Reliable and energy efficien...

Intel BX80623G620 Pentium G620 / 2.6 GHz processor

Intel Pentium G620 - 2.6 GHz - 2 cores - 2 threads - 3 MB cache - LGA1155 Socket - Box
PCM

MacMall
Intel Pentium 4 630 3.0ghz 800mhz 2m Socket 775 Cpu

Intel Pentium 4 630 3.0ghz 800mhz 2m Socket 775 Cpu

Intel P4 Processor 4 630 Speed: 3.0GHz FSB Speed:800 MHz Process: 90 nm L2 Cache: 1 MB Socket: LGA775 OEM (CPU only , No Fan ) Payment Paypal (Confirm...

Kb80521ex200 256k Sy032 (5064-1805) Intel Pentium Pro 200mhz

Kb80521ex200 256k Sy032 (5064-1805) Intel Pentium Pro 200mhz

Compaq is happy to introduce its new Pentium Pro processors capable of delivering ultra-high performance at great speeds.The Pentium Pro processor fam...

INTEL SLAY7 2.5ghz - 800mhz Fsb Intel Pentium Dual-core Processors

INTEL SLAY7 2.5ghz - 800mhz Fsb Intel Pentium Dual-core Processors

INTEL - PENTIUM E5200 2.5GHZ 2MB L2 CACHE 800MHZ FSB SOCKET LGA-775 45NM 65W DESKTOP PROCESSOR ONLY (SLAY7). SYSTEM PULL. IN STOCK.
Server Supply