Frigidaire FRT18S6AW 18 cu. ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator

Epinions Product Rating: OK

A decent refrigerator at a decent price: Frigidaire

Oct 3, 2007 (Updated Mar 28, 2008)
  • User Rating: Very Good

Pros:Value for money. Clear crispers/bins. Exterior appearance.

Cons:Freezer is small. Audible fan. Shelves are not split. Freezer control issue.

The Bottom Line: This Frigidaire refrigerator has a low price and looks nice. Long term durability is uncertain (I had a minor problem with the freezer), and will revise review if needed.

When I started shopping for appliances a new refrigerator was at the top of the list, which I thought would help sell my home. But the bewildering variety of refrigerator styles, models, brand names, colors, prices, and features quickly confused me! I decided to take a step back and figure out what I needed in a refrigerator.

Refrigerator Sizes/Styles
Most important in choosing a refrigerator is that it fits into the designated area. In my case the refrigerator had to be less than 68" in height and less than 32" in width (make sure you measure!). I also had to make sure it was not too deep or the door handle would be sticking too far. I soon realized that a freezer on top model (like my old one) that was less than 20 cubic feet in size was my best option.

Frigidaire Model FRT18S6AW
After doing some comparison shopping I decided to buy the 18.0 cubic foot Frigidaire Model FRT18S6AW in white. This model had just enough features to keep me happy and was reasonably priced.

The exterior is nicely designed with rounded corners, a texturized bright white surface, and curved door handles which are hinged on the right (they can be reversed). There is a vent under the refrigerator door but it is recessed and barely visible.

The interior is brightly lit when opened and bright white. In the bottom are two crispers which have humidity controls. They are clear, so I can see what's in there. The top of the crispers serves as the lower shelf, which is made of SpillSafe glass. There are also two other glass shelves which have two options to height placement. The top-most shelf has a deli-drawer attached, which is also clear. The shelves are not split though, so it’s the same height all the way across on both.

In the door is a butter bin with a clear plastic enclosure. The door also has three shelves which are quite large – most are big enough to hold a gallon of milk. I'd actually prefer if one shelf were narrow to hold all the little bottles of condiments and appetizers I have.

The freezer on the Frigidaire FRT18S6AW is a bit small at just 4 cubic feet. There is one shelf which has one height adjustment option. The freezer door has two shelves which work well for items like frozen waffles. There is a fan in the back which should not be blocked by your food items. The freezer defrosts automatically.

Usage
The doors on this Frigidaire refrigerator open easily and are nicely balanced. They also seal firmly when closed. The 18 cubic feet size is on the small size compared to many refrigerators on the market today, but I think it is sufficient for 1-2 adults.

I had a minor problem with the freezer defrosting. Turns out that adjusting the refrigerator control also changes the freezer temperature. The freezer has its own separate control which had to be adjusted to a colder temperature.

I really like the clear-plastic crispers and deli bin. In my old refrigerator they were opaque and I often forgot stuff was in there (what's that smell?). I also like the glass shelves which seem durable and are easy to wipe down.

On the negative side the door bins seem like cheap plastic in both the refrigerator and freezer. I've also noticed some items flop around since there is actually too much room on the door shelves. Another drawback is the small freezer compartment, which could be a deal-breaker on this model for some folks.

Another issue is that the condenser fan makes a low whirring side from time to time. When I first had this model installed I was worried – the fan ran for almost 6 hours non-stop. However, now that it's up and running the fan only kicks in occasionally and I'm used to the sound. I noticed that the user manual has a separate section called ''Normal Operating Sounds'' which was helpful to read.

Overall
So far I am very happy with its functionality and performance as of March 2008. This model of refrigerator does not have a lot of bells and whistles but is keeping foods cold or frozen as expected. I've only had to adjust the thermostat a couple of times.

This model cost $479 at Lowe's and had the right balance of price vs. feature for me. It has a 1-year warranty from the manufacturer of this brand – Electrolux. Overall I would recommend it to anyone looking for a smaller refrigerator who does not need an ice maker, ice dispenser, or any fancy shelving.

© trailhound. 2007.

Amount Paid (US$): $479

FRT21B4JW 30 21 cu. ft. Freestanding Top-Freezer Refrigerator with 2 Full Width Sliding

Designed to work in harmony with the way you live the FRT21B4JW is loaded with features The 2 Fixed Door Racks 2 Full Width Sliding Wire Shelves 2 Whi...
AppliancesConnection

Frigidaire 18 Cu. Ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator FFHT1814LW

Frigidaire 18 Cu. Ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator FFHT1814LW

Frigidaire FFHT1814LW The Frigidaire 18 Cu. Ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator, in white, comes packed with features, both interior and exterior, that make...
Wayfair

Frigidaire 3.1 cu. ft. Mini Refrigerator in Silver Mist FFPH31M6LM

Frigidaire 3.1 cu. ft. Mini Refrigerator in Silver Mist FFPH31M6LM

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. The Frigidaire 3.1 cu. ft. Two Door Compact Refrigerator is great for small spaces. The adjustable shelf in the...
Home Depot

Frigidaire Fru17b2jw 17 Cu. Ft. Freestanding All Refrigerator

Frigidaire Fru17b2jw 17 Cu. Ft. Freestanding All Refrigerator

Questions Feel Free To Contact Us At 800-777-3345 Frigidaire FRU17B2JW 32 17 cu. ft. Freestanding All Refrigerator with 4 Wire Shelves, 1 Trivet, Inte...

Frigidaire Energy Star 21 Cu. Ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator

Frigidaire Energy Star 21 Cu. Ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator

Ample organization is in store. This top-freezer refrigerator includes plenty of storage options. Put your milk on the door shelf that stores gallon j...
QVC

Frigidaire 21 Cu. Ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator FRT21G2NW

Frigidaire 21 Cu. Ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator FRT21G2NW

Frigidaire FRT21G2NW The Frigidaire 21 Cu. ft. Top Mount Refrigerator, in white, pairs a classically designed exterior with an innovative interior so...
Wayfair

Frigidaire 18.2 Cu. Ft. TopFreezer Refrigerator

Frigidaire 18.2 Cu. Ft. TopFreezer Refrigerator

The easytouse features make this Frigidaire 18.2 cu. ft. TopFreezer Refrigerator one that gives you the convenience that you need in your busy life.
hhgregg

FFHS2622MS Frigidaire 26 Cu. Ft. Side By Side Refrigerator - Stainless Steel

FFHS2622MS Frigidaire 26 Cu. Ft. Side By Side Refrigerator - Stainless Steel

FFHS2622MS Frigidaire 26 Cu. Ft. Side By Side Refrigerator - Stainless Steel APPEARANCE Stainless Steel Door Finish Stainless Steel Handle Hidden Hin...
US Appliance

Frigidaire Ffph31m6lm 3.1 Cu. Ft. Compact Refrigerator Silver Mist Dorm Fridge

Frigidaire Ffph31m6lm 3.1 Cu. Ft. Compact Refrigerator Silver Mist Dorm Fridge

Frigidaire FFPH31M6LM 3.1 Cu. Ft. Compact Refrigerator - Silver Mist Home About Us Feedback FAQ Contact Us Add our store to your favorites and recei...

Frigidaire FFLE1011MW 27 2.95 cu.ft Center Electric Laundry in White with Washer FFLE1011MW

Immersion Care Wash Action Gently spins and pulls water and detergent through clothes for more thorough, gentle cleaning Vibration Control System Adva...
HomeClick