GE Profile PDW8200J 25 in. Built-in Dishwasher Reviews

GE Profile PDW8200J 25 in. Built-in Dishwasher

Epinions Product Rating: Disappointing

Dishwasher leaves 90% of the work to me

Oct 31, 2009 (Updated Oct 31, 2009)
  • User Rating: Disappointing

Pros:Delayed start mode and control lockout mode (anti-toddler mischief)

Cons:Disgusting food trap issues. Labor-intensive prep requirements.

The Bottom Line: Don't buy it unless you wash your dishes by hand first.

I have a similar experience to the author of "Great, if you like to wash dishes."  To prevent cloggng buildup on the food trap (and I'm not talking about melon rinds and chicken bones here) we basically wash the dishes before putting them in. Then we sometimes wash them after taking them out whenever we miss a bit of food (dairy maybe?) during the pre-rinse ritual. (Sometimes we're greeted by a load of "clean" dishes that look like they've been sprayed with fine, white dryer lint.)

Traces of milk in a cereal bowl or little bits of tomato pulp from spaghetti sauce shouldn't be a deal-breaker for dishwasher effectiveness. Cleaning out a food trap wouldn't be so bad if it was easier to get to (front of the under-tray) and could be removed for easier cleaning (like a dryer's lint trap).

Since we try to save energy (coal-fired electricity and not human energy) by not using the heated dry cycle, we either have to dry the dishes, put them in a drying rack, or roll the racks out and allow the dishes to dry from circulating room air (which is an OK solution).
This is the first dishwasher that I've owned, but I've had experience with DWs in 3 apartments and of course my family's DWs when I was younger. I don't recall any brand names, but I don't recall this kind of extra work either.

GE Profile 18 Stainless Steel Built-In Dishwasher - PDW1860NSS

GE Profile 18 Stainless Steel Built-In Dishwasher - PDW1860NSS

HIdden Electronic Controls/ SpeedWash Cycle/ Glasses Cycle/ Air-Dry Cycle/ Nylon Racks/ LED Cycle Progress Indicators/ Stainless Steel Finish
Abt Electronics

GE Profile 60-Decibel Built-in Dishwasher with Stainless Steel Tub (Stainless Steel) (Common: 18 Inch; Actual 18-in) PDW1860NSS

Bright annealed stainless steel interior - lustrous interior looks great and stands up to stains. Fully integrated light-touch electronic controls - ...
Lowe's