HP LaserJet 2550L Workgroup Laser Printer Reviews

HP LaserJet 2550L Workgroup Laser Printer

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Not for serious folks looking for quality output.

Apr 21, 2005
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Black and white printing yields acceptable copy.

Cons:Doesn't come close to producing at advertised specs, what does result is not acceptable

The Bottom Line: For quality or heavy output you'd be ahead to buy two 4800 DPI jetprinters. One recommendation is the 8450. I doubt you will believe the superior quality of 8450

As a general rule I like HP products. If I can I review there offering in almost any arena where I must buy for us, office or home. We had occasion to replace our laser color printer and I was drawn to HP 2550L by the price and of course my preference for HP if all things appear equal.

As I unpacked the printer I was immediately cognizant of the bulk and didn't care for the idea of lifting it around by myself. This printer should have two people on it for any proposed move or set up.

The consumable tubes seemed long and adequate. I reasoned the replacement on these would be rare and thus I anticipated a savings there. The fact is the 2550L is anything but frugal on ink and HP is almost notorious now days for its ink.So not only did the 2550L not meet its advertised estimates in terms of printed page the replacements were ridiculous in terms of cost.

Operationally there were several things about it far beneath the HP reputation that I had generally accepted. The printer is inherently slow. It is slow to even begin to print, fairly slow printing, and the second and subsequent pages of a 10 page project were smeared with ink. I thought this might be just because it was new. I tried it on several occasions, with several different papers and even different sizes. Anything smaller than 8 X 10 would regularly jam although I didn't seem to get the smeared ink.

I could rate the picture quality at best as just "ok" and if trying to print from various editing software there were several peculiarities I never could solve. My favorite editing program is ACDsee and if I had a photo I had to adjust much in terms of contrast or color saturation the result was intolerable. It might pale it out, streak it, show heavy reds with light to no blues and greens. In my view the printer should never have reached production stage.

Operating System: Windows

The HP LaserJet 2550L is a lightweight and compact color laser printer that gives you great performance and dependability. With printing speed of 19pp...