HP PSC 2355 All-In-One Inkjet Printer Reviews

HP PSC 2355 All-In-One Inkjet Printer

HP PSC 2355 All-in-one InkJet Printer

Sep 20, 2005

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Performance, appearance, reliability, sharp prints, user friendly

Cons:No USB cable

The Bottom Line: A dependable printer, scanner, and copier with impressive results while performing more than one function at a time.

My old Lexmark X83 printer/scanner/copier needed replacing again so instead of fighting the idea, it was time to do something. Change is a not a word often used in my vocabulary, which is why the Lexmark brand was bought more than once. It is easier to stick with what you know than to venture out and buy a different product. After owning more than one Lexmark, having them all to quit working or having to uninstall and then reinstall, the message finally sank in—Lexmark is not a quality printer/scanner/copier.

So, what was?

A new P/S/P needed to be compatible with the Windows XP Professional installed on my computer.

Consulting with my two computer literate son-in-laws’, they pointed me in the direction where a quality machine at an affordable price could be found to meet my needs.

Hewlett Packard was their first choice (Dell their second). The display model of HP PSC 2355 All-In-One caught my attention while shopping at Circuit City several weeks ago. Naturally, they were sold out so a very helpful associate ordered one, and less than a week later it arrived along with a new Olympus Stylus 800 Digital Camera which had been upgraded to an xD Picture Card (M1GB) that came with an extra battery, and a MA-USB 300 Media Reader/Writer. A $50 rebate came with the HP PSC 2355 All-in-One with the purchase of a qualifying digital camera. My Olympus qualified.

The HP PSC 2355 has been printing, scanning, and copying almost nonstop since it arrived as there was a lot of delayed hard copying to catch up on, and after reading the manual for instructions on use, which, from past experience, I’ve found useful, there’s been an impressive amount of work completed. Quite a lot of copying, and printing, goes into my genealogy research, my Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War organization, my stories and poems, letters, obituaries, and other items needed or wanted for record keeping.

Contents
HP PSC 2355 All-in-one printer, scanner, copier
HP 94 Black Inkjet Print Cartridge, 11 ml. (C8765WN)
HP 97 Tri-color Inkjet Print Cartridge, 14 ml. (C9363WN)
HP Image Zone Photo and imaging software on CD-ROM
Setup booklet
User’s Guide
Power cord

Specifications
The following specifications information came from the HP web site.
Technology (Detailed): thermal Inkjet
Max Resolution (BW): 1200x1200 dpi
Max Resolution (Color): 4800x1200 dpi
Black print speed: 23 ppm
Color print speed: 18 ppm
Print technology: HP Photo III, HP PhotoREt IV (with optional cartridge)
Borderless printing
Direct photo printing (memory cards, PictBridge cameras)
1 HP 94 black inkjet cartridge and 1 HP 97 tri-color inkjet cartridge
Scanner Resolution: Optical: Up to 1200 dpi
Enhanced: Up to 19200 dpi
Scanner bit depth: 48-bit
Copy speed: Color, up to 18 cpm
Black, up to 23 cpm
Maximum number of copies: Up to 50
Copy scaling: 50 to 400%
Display: 1.8-in LCD (color graphics)
Memory card support: CompactFlash Type I and II, Memory Stick, Secure
Compatability: Windows 98, 98 SE, 2000, Me, XP Home, XP Professional, Mac,
OS 9.1, 9.2, Mac OS X v 10.1.5, 10.2.3, 10.3
Dimensions: 17.32x14.3x8.2

Warranty
One-year limited hardware with one-year technical phone support

Supported Connection Types
Windows and Macintosh printer sharing, USB
The HP PSC 2355 has networking capabilities which can be accessed by using an external printer server (HP JetDirect 175x) purchased as an accessory which lets you share your device through an existing Ethernet network.

Installation
Two installation CD’s came with the printer. One CD was for Windows and the other CD was for Macintosh. Insert the two ink cartridges, align cartridges from control panel on top of your PSC by following guided instructions, turn computer on, and close any open programs. After inserting the Windows CD, and the USB cable, in a matter of minutes’, my HP PSC 2355 was ready to use. Two words describe installation, “quick and easy.” Registering my new PSC Online, after installation was complete, required only a few minutes.

Features
Copy Menu which includes the number of copies, reduce/enlarge, paper size, paper type, copy quality, lighter/darker, enhancements, color intensity and set new defaults.
Scan To HP Image Zone, Microsoft PowerPoint, Adobe PhotoShop, Memory Card and HP Instant Share.
Photo Menu, which includes print options, transfer to computer, slide show and HP Instant Share.
Proof Sheet Menu includes the print proof sheet and scan proof sheet.
Setup Menu includes help, print report, tools and preferences.

Your HP Image Zone allows you to enhance and organize your digital photo’s. After upload from the cameras memory card, photos are stored in the HP Image Zone, but you can chose to store them in wherever you want.

The HP All-in-one supports the PictBridge standard, which lets you connect any PictBridge-compatible camera to the camera port and print photos contained on the memory card in the camera.

When printing photos from a PictBridge compatible camera, connect your digital camera to the camera port on the front of your HP by using the supplied USB cable, and then turn on your camera making sure it is in the PictBridge mode.

My old digital camera, which isn’t PictBridge
compatible, probably wouldn’t work but curiosity may push hard enough for me to find out.

Note: By default, Windows XP will format a memory card of 8 MB or less and 64 MB or more with the FAT32 format. Digital cameras and other devices use the FAT format and cannot operate with a FAT32 formatted card. Either format your memory card in your camera or select FAT format to format your memory card in a Windows XP PC.

My paper size is set on automatic (default) allowing HP to detect the size of paper in the tray letter, and copy quality is set on fast. By choosing the fast speed, it extends the life of your ink cartridge. You can always change your default setting at any time via your control panel or Copy Menu.

The scanner is easy to use. Scanning OCR (text) is helpful in my genealogy research when it comes to articles, photos and even maps. Many of these articles went into ged.com files. A large portion of my scanning is pictures, new and old. You can scan from the control panel or the HP Director icon on your desktop. The icon is my preference since my PSC sits in the floor (no room on my desk for it).

When scanning, choose the destination (application, the HP Image Zone, or destination of your choice), and click Scan To. The preview screen can be by-passed but I prefer to use it in case editing is necessary. If the scanned image is to your satisfaction and editing completed, click Accept and your item is then scanned and sent to your chosen destination.

You can enlarge or reduce the size of an original to fit a specific paper size, adjust the darkness and color intensity of the copy, and use special features to make high-quality copies of photos, including 4 by 6 inch borderless copies.

Price of ink and paper
Price quotes are what I paid at Walmart
Premium HP paper for photos cost $24.88 for 50 sheets
HP Everyday Copy & Print paper, 500 sheets, cost $3.87
One black ink cartridge was $19.84.
One color ink cartridge was $34.67.

The ink cartridges that came with my PSC haven’t needed to be replaced after several weeks of heavy use, but the black will need it soon as the level is low.

Maintenance of your HP All-in-one
Clean the glass with a soft cloth or sponge slightly moistened with a nonabrasive glass cleaner and dry with a chamois or cellulose sponge to prevent spotting. Use a soft cloth or slightly moistened sponge to wipe dust, smudges, and stains off the case. When replacing ink cartridges, turn printer on, wait until the print carriage is idle and silent, press down on cartridge to release it, insert new cartridge, when you hear it click in place, close door. Be sure not to touch the copper colored ink nozzles when replacing.

You can recycle your old ink cartridges free of charge. For more information, copy and paste the following URL to your computer's browser. www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship/environment/recycle/inkjet.html

My Experience
The HP PSC 2355 is definitely a multi-function machine.

A cousin had sent around 15 scanned black and white, late 1950’s and 60’s, photos’ so this gave me the perfect opportunity to check out the quality of pictures printed. After enhancing them with my Adobe and MGI suites, two sets were printed, one set for me, and one set for my mother. An old expression comes to mind after I saw the results, Picture Perfect! They were old photos but looked like new.

After enhancing the pictures, my scanner was busy scanning them to a file, while my printer was busy copying off a 43-page ged.com file without missing a beat.

Taking pictures with my Olympus camera produced the same results. Many of my subjects ran when they saw the camera, and while I did get a few shots of people, several pictures were of trees, deer in the back yard, the fields, cars passing by the house, and general scenery in the neighborhood. After removing the xD-Picture memory card from the camera, it was inserted into my HP PSC 2355 camera port, scanned, and the pictures I wanted to keep were printed off while those not wanted, were deleted (some had been deleted after they were taken). You may also upload (the manual referred to it as “reading the memory card”) your pictures using the cable that comes with your digital camera.

Overall Recommendation
The HP PSC 2355 does the job it was designed for, surpassed what I was expecting, and is highly recommended.

Price Paid

Thanks for reading and happy printing, scanning and copying to you.

Further Information
www.hp.com
1-(800)-HP-INVENT or 1-(800)474-6836

Amount Paid (US$): $150.00
Operating System: Windows and Macintosh

Brand Hp Psc 1401 All-in-one Inkjet Printer

Brand Hp Psc 1401 All-in-one Inkjet Printer

HP PSC 1401 All-In-One Inkjet Printer Brand new, unopened Printer: Print speed (black and white): 15 ppm black Print speed (color): 10 ppm color Black...

Hp Psc 2510 All-in-one Inkjet Printer

Hp Psc 2510 All-in-one Inkjet Printer

The Hewlett Packard PSC 2510 All-In-One InkJet Printer is fully compatible with PC, Mac systems. This printer connectivity interface: USB 1.1, Integra...

In Box Electronics Hp Psc1350 All In One Inkjet Printer Scanner Copier

In Box Electronics Hp Psc1350 All In One Inkjet Printer Scanner Copier

You can scan, print and copy with the HP PSC1350 all-in-one printer. With its 4,800 x 1,200 dpi resolution, this HP all-in-one printer offers professi...
Hp Deskjet 2510 All-in-one, Free Shipping,

Hp Deskjet 2510 All-in-one, Free Shipping,

Hp B2l56ab1h Deskjet 1510e Inkjet Multifunction Printer - Color - 60 Sheets Inp

Hp B2l56ab1h Deskjet 1510e Inkjet Multifunction Printer - Color - 60 Sheets Inp

The Hewlett Packard PSC 1510 All-In-One InkJet Printer is fully compatible with PC, Mac systems. This printer connectivity interface: USB 1.1.

Hp Deskjet 1510 All-in-one - Multifunction Printer (color)

Hp Deskjet 1510 All-in-one - Multifunction Printer (color)

Brand Hp Envy 110 All-in-one Inkjet Printer

Brand Hp Envy 110 All-in-one Inkjet Printer

Suitable for your home or office, the HP Envy 110 is an all-in-one inkjet printer that satisfies all your printing needs. The HP printer prints lab-qu...

Hp Envy 120 E All-in-one Inkjet Printer

Hp Envy 120 E All-in-one Inkjet Printer

ENVY 120 e-All-in-One Wireless Inkjet PrinterAdd elegance to any room with this innovative e-all-in-one that's so sleek, you'll be proud to show it of...

Hp Hewlett Packard Photosmart C4780 In Unopened Box Scanner Printer Copier

Hp Hewlett Packard Photosmart C4780 In Unopened Box Scanner Printer Copier

A technological wonder - that's probably the phrase which aptly describes the Hewlett Packard PSC 4780. This incredible HP all-in-one InkJet doesn't e...

In Box Hp Deskjet 1051 All-in-one Inkjet Printer

In Box Hp Deskjet 1051 All-in-one Inkjet Printer

The HP Deskjet 1051 is an all-in-one inkjet printer that lets you print, scan, and copy color pages at a resolution up to 4800x1200 dpi and black and ...