Holmes HOH2501 Heater Reviews

Holmes HOH2501 Heater

Epinions Product Rating: OK

SMART LOOKING, CONSISTENT CONVECTION!

Feb 5, 2006

Pros:Consistent, economical.

Cons:Not safe around children.

The Bottom Line: This heater is smart looking and economical but I wouldn't recommend use around small children.

I am a bit picky about my heaters. It seems that no matter what I buy, I find that after a certain amount of use, the electrical wire starts getting warm near the outlet. That makes me very nervous.

I had heard about oil heaters from my friend who swore by them. They are not some thing you should have around small children unless you provide safety guards which should probably be used anyway but I find them most effective, safer and more economical than most heaters on the market today.

I bought four Holmes Compact Oil Filled Heaters for my home. One for each bedroom and bathroom, one for the living room and one for the kitchen. I paid $49.50 for each at Ace Hardware.

Holmes’ Claim:

These types of heaters use various heating elements to heat the air. As the air warms, it rises and is replaced by cooler air from below the element. The cool air heats up and the cycle continues.

These heaters are quiet because they don’t use a fan to push the hot air into the room and generate even, consistent heat. With large heating surfaces, these heaters are most often used for steady, whole room heat.

In the Box:

The box contained the larger oil-filled metal section assembled with thermostat and electrical wire and plug. His heater is equipped with a stand and wheels so that it can be moved around. These come separate in the box but are easily connected by following the instructions. It took me about ten minutes to assemble each unit. The units weigh about 10 lbs each.

The Product:

This product is described as a 1500 watt compact oil filled convestion heater. It should be singly plugged in to a 120V power source. It has two heating dials:- one is for low, medium and high options and the other is the thermostat itself which has fourteen heat levels of heat to choose from.

Once turned on to the desired temperature, this heater wastes no time in heating up. Therefore, care must be taken once it is switched on as it becomes very hot. You may think that this heater may be a little dangerous and also heat things around it. I was very cautious about this when I first used them but I felt the floor, in particular which stayed cool and anything around it did not heat up also. Of course, nothing must actually be touching it as it would warm up and eventually burn. I found that most of the heat rises from the top pf the heater and not so much radiating from the bottom and center of the heater. I also checked the electrical wire and do regularly now.

I have had them for 6 months now and have used them through the winter. After being turned on for 24 hours straight, I still felt no warmth at all in the electrical wiring.

My Experience:

First of all, to be safe, I have found a corner for each of my heaters. I have placed them about a foot from the walls and without anything close that could burn. In Texas ,especially southern Texas, the temperature rarely gets below 30 degrees so I have only had to use these heaters on the lowest heat. However, when coming in to a cold house, I turn them on high and it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to warm up the house. I then turn them on low and it keeps the house warm through the night.

I have used space heaters and central heating in the past. My electric bill is consistently average. I find that these heaters are more economical on the whole than space heaters or central heating.

These heaters are smart in appearance and to clean them, just wipe them down with a damp cloth.

Downfalls:

Although these heaters came with wheels, they are made of a hardy plastic but even when assembled, they fall off the units every time I move them so they aren’t of much use at all.

Secondly, there is also a plastic handle on these heaters but it gets hot (not hot enough to melt) when the heat is on so once they are hot, you can’t move them. I find this a little unsettling but I manage to move them using oven mitts if I have to.

Conclusion:

The Holmes Compact Oil Filled Heater is a very hardy smart looking heater that heats well and is consistent in keeping a comfortable temperature throughout my house.

It saves money on electric bills and is easy to clean. I don’t recommend using this heater around children unless you use a fire guard. This heater needs some improvement on the way the wheels are structured and also needs to have a safer handle added. Other then that, I like my heaters and recommend them because they are economical and consistent.

This heater has a five year limited warranty.

Other Home and Garden Products:

Robomaid
Hamilton Beach Open Ease Extra Tall Can Opener 76300
Swiffer Sweep Vac
Black & Decker 3.6 Volt 3 Position Screwdriver

Thank you for reading.

Holmes - Infrared Quartz Tower Heater - White

Holmes - Infrared Quartz Tower Heater - White

The Holmes Products HQH307 is a Compact Heater, with Open Flame heating element. With more than 15 years experience, Holmes is the #1 brand of electri...

Holmes Whisper Quiet 1500w Space Heater --

Holmes Whisper Quiet 1500w Space Heater --

The Holmes HFH2986U Heater provides a quick and portable heating to you. This Holmes heater can be set to work on automatic or manual heating modes, a...

Holmes Ribbon Radiant Heater

Holmes Ribbon Radiant Heater

Fan circulates heat throughout room with 1500-watt power setting. For use in the home, workshop, basement and garage. Automatically shuts off if tippe...
Shoplet.com

Holmes Triple Ceramic Heater With Comfort Control Thermostat Gray

Holmes Triple Ceramic Heater With Comfort Control Thermostat Gray

The Holmes Products HCH6150-U is a Compact Heater, with Ceramic heating element. With more than 15 years experience, Holmes is the #1 brand of electri...

Holmes Heater. Quartz Tower Portable Heater HQH307

Holmes Heater. Quartz Tower Portable Heater HQH307

Shop for Heating, Venting & Cooling at The Home Depot. Tall quartz tower heater that combines the best of both worlds. Two pure quartz tubes deliver i...
Home Depot

Holmes Ultra-quiet Dual Ceramic Heater With 1-touch Electronic Thermostat

Holmes Ultra-quiet Dual Ceramic Heater With 1-touch Electronic Thermostat

The Holmes Products HCH4953-U is a Compact Heater, with Ceramic heating element. With more than 15 years experience, Holmes is the #1 brand of electri...

Holmes Hch820 Ceramic Fan-forced Heater - In Box -

Holmes Hch820 Ceramic Fan-forced Heater - In Box -

The Holmes HCH820 Desktop Ceramic Heater with 1 Touch Digital Control is a powerful yet easy to operate heater with all of the necessary functionality...