Audiovox Sirius SSR-2000 100-Channels Base CB Radio Reviews

Audiovox Sirius SSR-2000 100-Channels Base CB Radio

Jensen SSR-2000 is cheap - be careful

Mar 11, 2005 (Updated Mar 14, 2005)
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Sound Quality:

Pros:Inexpensive. Wired modulator delivers superior sound quality.

Cons:Wired FM modulator is weak and delivers inferior volume levels. Expect feedback from your engine.

The Bottom Line: You get what you pay for and the Jensen SSR-2000 is cheap. Don't buy it - you will regret it.

First. This is NOT a CB radio. It is a Sirius Satellite Radio receiver.

I have the SSR-2000 in my car now. I bought it because it was: 1. Inexpensive and 2. Mounts with a cord to access the controller.

I like the way it mounts because I have a dash that doesn't have room for a controller. It is just too tight and I don't want to cover up anything. The controller mounts on the side of my center console - out of sight and not in the way. I like that. When I need to change channels, I pick up the controller and change channels. It is more like a wired remote control.

I had an XM Roady. I didn't like XM. Their programming is inferior. I had a wireless modulator. The quality and volume level of the sound was weak.

So, I figured that I'd look for a Sirius unit with a wired modulator. Sirius programming is far superior to XM. Try it - you'll love it. Here is the first problem. The wired modulator with the SSR-2000 sends a weak signal - so weak that you have to turn your radio all the way up just to hear the sound.

So, I went back to the store. Had them install a signal booster. The sound is louder now - but I get feedback from the engine. You know - that high pitched whine that follows the tachometer? It is a bummer. It drives me crazy. I've shopped around and I think I'll move to the JVC KT-SR2000. I've read several reviews and I believe that it will be much better.

In short - if you buy this unit, you will regret it. Spend more money right now and get something good.

Added later by dpwinckler:

I think my first "opinion" on epinions needs a little more work. I could have done a better job in helping other shoppers. Here are a few additional comments. I hope this helps you make a buying decision.

Regarding the weak signal, I don't know what else to say. I suppose there are ways to fix this. I'm certainly going to try. I'm no electrician. I just bothers me that I bought a brand new unit and I have to "fix" it right out of the box. If I could resolve the "whine", I'd be thrilled. The sound quality is certainly better than that of a wireless FM modulator.

I have no complaints about the operation of the Jensen unit. I works every time I start the car. It loads the signal quickly. The reception is good. It rarely drops the signal. I think there is one tunnel in town where I loose it - about a half a block long. I've never lost it otherwise, regardless of trees or other obstacles. (That said - I don't encounter "obstacles" very often in South Dakota.) The reception is certainly better than the XM Roady. (By the way, I didn't think the Roady was bad by any means. The Jensen is just better.)

It is simple to use. I typically leave it on one channel all the time, so I don't have much opportunity to test out the other features. When I do need to change the channel, the operation is simple and straightforward - press one button, then the station number you want. A few seconds later, you are listening to the new station.

The display is large enough. I have no complaints here. I've never experienced difficulty in seeing the display - day or night. You can adjust the brightness to three different levels. It is bright and seems to be similar in size to other units I have seen. In my car, it is mounted on the passenger side of the center console where I can't see the display without actually picking up the unit. (Look at the picture of the unit - the selector/display is mounted on a cord similar to that on telephones.) This may be why I don't have any trouble seeing it. If you can hold it in your hand, you can generally see it. This may actually be an advantage to this unit. It is easy to hold in a man-sized hand. It may be a little large for people with smaller hands. The cord is a the bottom of the selector/display, so you couldn't really set it on the seat next to you and still be able to read/work it. That is if you mounted it on the dash. (Please look at the picture - I think you'll understand what I am trying to say.) I suppose you could mount it on your center console and do this. You'll have to evaluate your own vehicle.

The buttons are large and spaced so that I do not experience any trouble in pressing the correct button. It is certainly easier than the Roady I had before.

I don't use the presets. Again, I only listen to a few stations. As I recall from the manual, there are a reasonable number.

Another point that I forgot to mention in the first review is installation. I've installed car stereos and speakers in the past. The Jensen unit was beyond my skills. I had to pay a professional to install it. Part of the unit mounts in the trunk. The other part is up front. I think it took the installer all morning to finish the job. By comparison, I did install an XM Roady on my own in about 15 minutes. Certainly, the Jensen install is much more complex, but it gives you a reference point. If you hesitate to install one of the more simpler units - you won't even try this.

All that said, I stand by my original review. If you buy the Jensen, you'll wish that you had bought a different unit. Other units have more flexibility - home kits, boomboxes, etc. The other units are easier to install. The other units have more features - clocks, alarms, favorite song notification, etc. You'll probably end up spending less in the long run for a better unit.

Bmw Dice Audiovox Mediabridge Ambr-1500-bmw Iphone Xm Sirius Bluetooth Aux

Bmw Dice Audiovox Mediabridge Ambr-1500-bmw Iphone Xm Sirius Bluetooth Aux

BRAND NEW 2013 MODEL. **CONFIRMED - IPHONE5 COMPATIBLE**This item is in stock for immediate shipping, no delays. SEE OUR FEEDBACK. WE HAVE VERY HAPPY ...

Audiovox Cmos2 5-in-1 Multi Mount Vehicle Rear View Car Back-up Camera

Audiovox Cmos2 5-in-1 Multi Mount Vehicle Rear View Car Back-up Camera

The above applies to Continental USA customers only, see below for full details Audiovox CMOS2 5-in-1 Multi Mount Vehicle Rear View Car Back-up Camera...

Audiovox 1181313 Video Console 1999-2000 Grand Cherokee Alabaster Brand

Audiovox 1181313 Video Console 1999-2000 Grand Cherokee Alabaster Brand

up for sale Audiovox 1181313 overhead video console 1999-2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee alabaster BRAND NEW

Audiovox OE-Style Back-Up Camera - ACA400

Audiovox OE-Style Back-Up Camera - ACA400

OE-Style Backup Camera/ 150-Degree Wide-Angle Lens/ Waterproof Housing/ Compact ABS Plastic Body/ Hole Saw Included/ Black Finish
Abt Electronics

Audiovox CMOS2  Back Up Camera

Audiovox CMOS2 Back Up Camera

Back Up Camera rear-view camera with five different mounting options,170-degree wide-angle view,normal- or reverse-view mode
Crutchfield

Audiovox 1181285 Overhead Video Console 1998-2000 Explorer Xlt Grey Brand

Audiovox 1181285 Overhead Video Console 1998-2000 Explorer Xlt Grey Brand

up for sale Audiovox 1181285 overhead video console 1998-2000 Explorer XLT grey BRAND NEW

Audiovox 1181398pl 2000 Suburban Overhead Console, Single Lcd In Shale

Audiovox 1181398pl 2000 Suburban Overhead Console, Single Lcd In Shale

Welcome To Discount Depot Liquidators, Inc! Discount Depot is a liquidator of products for a variety of companies and industries. The products we sell...

Audiovox Multi Mount Rear Observation Camera - CMOS2

Audiovox Multi Mount Rear Observation Camera - CMOS2

Mounts 5 Different Ways/ Paintable Removable Front Trim Ring/ Compatible Most Monitors/ Weather Resistant Camera Housing/ 170 Wide Angle View/ Easy In...
Abt Electronics

Audiovox Camera Shutterball Blue (SHB303BL)

Audiovox Camera Shutterball Blue (SHB303BL)

Find mobile device app accessories at Target.com! The shutterball remote shutter allows you to place your smartphone or tablet within bluetooth range ...

Audiovox - AVXMTGHR1DA, Headrest Monitors

Audiovox - AVXMTGHR1DA, Headrest Monitors

Product Features: Headrest Monitor Loaded in a color interchangeable leather headrest Built-in DVD Player High Resolution 7in TFT LCD display LED back...
Sonic Electronix