Audiovox Sirius SSR-2000 100-Channels Base CB Radio Reviews

Audiovox Sirius SSR-2000 100-Channels Base CB Radio

Jensen SSR-2000 is cheap - be careful

Mar 11, 2005 (Updated Mar 14, 2005)
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Sound Quality:

Pros:Inexpensive. Wired modulator delivers superior sound quality.

Cons:Wired FM modulator is weak and delivers inferior volume levels. Expect feedback from your engine.

The Bottom Line: You get what you pay for and the Jensen SSR-2000 is cheap. Don't buy it - you will regret it.

First. This is NOT a CB radio. It is a Sirius Satellite Radio receiver.

I have the SSR-2000 in my car now. I bought it because it was: 1. Inexpensive and 2. Mounts with a cord to access the controller.

I like the way it mounts because I have a dash that doesn't have room for a controller. It is just too tight and I don't want to cover up anything. The controller mounts on the side of my center console - out of sight and not in the way. I like that. When I need to change channels, I pick up the controller and change channels. It is more like a wired remote control.

I had an XM Roady. I didn't like XM. Their programming is inferior. I had a wireless modulator. The quality and volume level of the sound was weak.

So, I figured that I'd look for a Sirius unit with a wired modulator. Sirius programming is far superior to XM. Try it - you'll love it. Here is the first problem. The wired modulator with the SSR-2000 sends a weak signal - so weak that you have to turn your radio all the way up just to hear the sound.

So, I went back to the store. Had them install a signal booster. The sound is louder now - but I get feedback from the engine. You know - that high pitched whine that follows the tachometer? It is a bummer. It drives me crazy. I've shopped around and I think I'll move to the JVC KT-SR2000. I've read several reviews and I believe that it will be much better.

In short - if you buy this unit, you will regret it. Spend more money right now and get something good.

Added later by dpwinckler:

I think my first "opinion" on epinions needs a little more work. I could have done a better job in helping other shoppers. Here are a few additional comments. I hope this helps you make a buying decision.

Regarding the weak signal, I don't know what else to say. I suppose there are ways to fix this. I'm certainly going to try. I'm no electrician. I just bothers me that I bought a brand new unit and I have to "fix" it right out of the box. If I could resolve the "whine", I'd be thrilled. The sound quality is certainly better than that of a wireless FM modulator.

I have no complaints about the operation of the Jensen unit. I works every time I start the car. It loads the signal quickly. The reception is good. It rarely drops the signal. I think there is one tunnel in town where I loose it - about a half a block long. I've never lost it otherwise, regardless of trees or other obstacles. (That said - I don't encounter "obstacles" very often in South Dakota.) The reception is certainly better than the XM Roady. (By the way, I didn't think the Roady was bad by any means. The Jensen is just better.)

It is simple to use. I typically leave it on one channel all the time, so I don't have much opportunity to test out the other features. When I do need to change the channel, the operation is simple and straightforward - press one button, then the station number you want. A few seconds later, you are listening to the new station.

The display is large enough. I have no complaints here. I've never experienced difficulty in seeing the display - day or night. You can adjust the brightness to three different levels. It is bright and seems to be similar in size to other units I have seen. In my car, it is mounted on the passenger side of the center console where I can't see the display without actually picking up the unit. (Look at the picture of the unit - the selector/display is mounted on a cord similar to that on telephones.) This may be why I don't have any trouble seeing it. If you can hold it in your hand, you can generally see it. This may actually be an advantage to this unit. It is easy to hold in a man-sized hand. It may be a little large for people with smaller hands. The cord is a the bottom of the selector/display, so you couldn't really set it on the seat next to you and still be able to read/work it. That is if you mounted it on the dash. (Please look at the picture - I think you'll understand what I am trying to say.) I suppose you could mount it on your center console and do this. You'll have to evaluate your own vehicle.

The buttons are large and spaced so that I do not experience any trouble in pressing the correct button. It is certainly easier than the Roady I had before.

I don't use the presets. Again, I only listen to a few stations. As I recall from the manual, there are a reasonable number.

Another point that I forgot to mention in the first review is installation. I've installed car stereos and speakers in the past. The Jensen unit was beyond my skills. I had to pay a professional to install it. Part of the unit mounts in the trunk. The other part is up front. I think it took the installer all morning to finish the job. By comparison, I did install an XM Roady on my own in about 15 minutes. Certainly, the Jensen install is much more complex, but it gives you a reference point. If you hesitate to install one of the more simpler units - you won't even try this.

All that said, I stand by my original review. If you buy the Jensen, you'll wish that you had bought a different unit. Other units have more flexibility - home kits, boomboxes, etc. The other units are easier to install. The other units have more features - clocks, alarms, favorite song notification, etc. You'll probably end up spending less in the long run for a better unit.

Audiovox Sirius Connect Car Dock Vehicle Dock

Audiovox Sirius Connect Car Dock Vehicle Dock

With the Audiovox Sirius Radio Car Dock, you can enjoy the variety of satellite radio stations in your vehicle. This integrated radio interface offers...

Audiovox Sir-cmb3 Sirius Satellite Radio Jampack Sircmb3 Transportable Car Home

Audiovox Sir-cmb3 Sirius Satellite Radio Jampack Sircmb3 Transportable Car Home

Audiovox SIR-CMB3 Sirius Satellite Radio Receiver and Docking Station Box shows shelf life This is a brand new never been used item Large, front-panel...

Audiovox Sirius Satellite Radio Home Dock/antenna, Sirhk1/sirhk1a -multi

Audiovox Sirius Satellite Radio Home Dock/antenna, Sirhk1/sirhk1a -multi

Audiovox Sirius Satellite Radio Home Dock/Antenna, SIRHK1/SIRHK1A -MULTI Thanks for looking! Here we have to offer to you is an Audiovox Sirius satell...

Audiovox Sirius SIREXT50 Indoor/Outdoor Antenna Extension 50-feet Cable - Black
Nip Audiovox Sirius Satellite Radio Mobile Dock.

Nip Audiovox Sirius Satellite Radio Mobile Dock.

Sirius Satellite Radio Mobile Dock by Audiovox. 120 channels coast to coast! over 65 channels of commercial free music and 50 channels of sports , new...

Audiovox Sirius Outdoor Home Antenna Sxha1

Audiovox Sirius Outdoor Home Antenna Sxha1

div style=text-align:centerimg src=http://ti2.auctiva.com/sw/java.gif border=0br table align=centertr td a style=text-decoration:none href=http://empo...

Audiovox Sirius Sirhk1a Sirhk1 S.r.s Srs Satellite Radio Shuttle Home Dock

Audiovox Sirius SIRHK1A SIRHK1 S.R.S SRS Satellite Radio Shuttle Home Dock NEW NIB CONDITION:NEW - Audiovox Sirius SIRHK1A Home Dock Converts Audiovox...

Audiovox Sirius ST5TK1R Starmate Plug and Play with Vehicle Kit

Audiovox Sirius ST5TK1R Starmate Plug and Play with Vehicle Kit

Brand Name : SiriusXM Model : ST5TK1 Product Description New Sirius Starmate 5 Dock and Play Radio w/Car Kit

Audiovox Sirius Sirhk1a Sirhk1 S.r.s Srs Satellite Radio Shuttle Home Dock

FOR SALE:Audiovox Sirius SIRHK1A SIRHK1 S.R.S SRS Satellite Radio Shuttle Home Dock NEW NIB CONDITION:NEW - Audiovox Sirius SIRHK1A Home Dock Converts...