JL Audio TR650-CXi 2-Way 6.5" Car Speaker Reviews

Free Shipping Crutchfield

great value for SQ

Dec 28, 2004

• Sound Quality:

Pros:price less distortion than 5x7s in the midrange

Cons:less bass than 5x7/6x8s

The Bottom Line: recommended over infinity reference

I bought a pair of these to replace my abused Kenwood excelons in the rear doors. these JLs are average sized and shaped 6.5" door speakers. nothing to gawk at graphics and outwardly design-wise. the magenet is of an unimpressive size.

dome tweeters are non-rotating so they'll be pointing generally at your passangers' feet. a small farad cap is in place to high-pass to the tweeter.

I have these paired with the JL 5x7s up front. power is coming from a 600.4 PPI amp using stock wiring.

SQ: great sounding speakers. Despite the smaller magnet size than the kenwood excelons, they're considerably more efficient and sound loud and clear all the way at 75W RMS.
I was experiencing noticable distortion with the kenwoods.

with a rather bass heavy 12 inch subwoofer (also JL W3) in the trunk and I also had a noticable range fall off between the sub and my door speakers. the system had no mids and vocals were shrill. with JLs all around, the improvement is noticable in the 100-500 Hz range.

time will tell how long they'll hold up and the weather effects. I am impressed once again with the quality of JL products. one side note, these aren't proudly made in the USA like the JL subs, they're made in China.

This speaker system is a perfect fit for many GM cars and European cars that accept a true 6.5-inch speaker. Multiple hole patterns are incorporated i...

6.5 Coaxial/ 0.5 Woven Textile Dome Tweeter/ Black Finish
Abt Electronics
6-3/4 2-Way Speakers injection-molded mica-filled polypropylene woofer,1/2 textile dome tweeter,10-50 watts RMS power range
Crutchfield