Kicker Solo-Baric L7 S10L7 2002 1-Way 10" Car Subwoofer Reviews

Kicker Solo-Baric L7 S10L7 2002 1-Way 10" Car Subwoofer

Kicker L7, lights it up with a 10" subwoofer

Nov 6, 2006

• Sound Quality:

Pros:excellent performance, quality sound, durable

Cons:somewhat expensive in comparison to other subs.

The Bottom Line: If you are going for a big company name that produces incredible performance, with quality sound, then these Kicker subs are your best bet!

There is no greater thrill in the world to me than getting into a vehicle and hearing one deep throaty bass hit after another. I love to hear the treble rolls, the bass vibration, and this doesn't mean I need to have super loud music, it just means that I love the quality and crispness that a top of the line audio system can truly provide.

My Qualifications in car audio
Far too often I see individuals writing about products and giving them high ratings when in reality, they are horrible by comparison. A five star subwoofer to someone that has only experienced one subwoofer, didn't install it themselves really doesn't say much to me besides that this subwoofer is better than the factory system they had before.

To really grasp the quality of a subwoofer, you have to be able to compare it to other ones, because head to head comparisons can truly tell you which subs are going to give you the best performance for your dollar. And the only people that can truly help you with that, are the people that are involved in the industry on a daily basis.

As a second job to my full time job as a jet mechanic, I am a custom fabrication specialist for a car audio shop in town. This means that I put together custom applications for car audio setups. I plan out custom molded boxes that are created for the perfect form within a vehicle, taking into consideration air flow, heat, accessability, style/design, and of course peformance and quality sound production. I have installed thousands of speakers over the last few years, tried countless amplifier/speaker/wire/capacitor combinations, and have truly tested the limits of every setup that I install. Whenever I do an install, I do a 'cap test' which is when I run the system past it's limits to ensure that the setup I have created can handle the peak power and regular performance over a period of time. This helps to show where a system will breakdown and how well it's going to hold up.

Being in this industry, I have seen countless speakers brought back from cone failures, melting cones, blown cones, you name it, I've seen it. I know what holds up for the long term and what people bring back most often.

With that in mind... I would hope that you can read through my car audio reviews with the peace of mind that you are getting top notch knowledge from a competition tuned professional.

Kicker Solo-Baric L7 S10L7 Subwoofer
One of the most unique products on the market today, would have to be the Kicke Solo Baric series. Rather than going with the traditional circle shaped subwoofers, Kicker decided to throw out some wild square shaped ones, which when first released blew the market away. They had created something so different, so radical, that many were afraid to test them out. Luckily for Kicker, the culture has drastically changed and a variety of different shapes have started to hit the market, now that Kicker has universal acceptance in the car audio world.

The Solo Baric series subs, the L7 in particular are some of the hardest hitting subs on the market. There are very few other products that can equal the power output of these subs, while offering the same sound quality.

Side by Side comparison
I think the most important aspect of speakers is the side by side comparison to other equal products. Unlike many other products there can be a fairly substantial different from one product to the next that can hugely effect the overall performance within your vehicle.

In the case of the 10" Solo Baric L7, you are getting an excellent speaker that is one of the tops in it's class, hwoever, if you are looking for a lower cost alternative that is going to hold up, while at the same time giving you quality sound, then I would go with the Lanzar OPTI1222D. Lanzar is a quality company that has been around for a while. The speakers aren't quite as durable as a Kicker, but they are more than adequate in terms of quality sound and overall performance. The big difference however is the price, with Kicker costing more than $100 more per speaker. It is your system, and most people aren't going to know who Lanzar is, so if it's a big name you are going for, then go with Kicker, if you want high performance at a quality price, consider Lanzar.

Sound Quality
In comparison to other subs, the Solo Barics are pretty impressive. The sound quality is definitely better than most manufacturers who just produce their subs to be loud. The Solo Barics are more than capable of being quite loud, while at the same time have much less distortion than many of the other brands, when placed into a box of the appropriate dimensions.

At 1200 watts each, throw a couple of these together, with a powerful amp, and you'll have quite the impact. The biggest problem I have with these speakers is that often times they are too much power for what some vehicles can handle. Before installing these speakers, make sure that you don't have an aftermarket spoiler installed. The result of this could be a cracked trunk lid, so if you want to have both, make sure that you reinforce your trunk, because these subs along with the pressure of the spoiler will over a fairly short period of time cause your trunk to crack under the right conditions. This is especially true if you tend to crank your music up on a regular basis.

Product Details
* titanium deposit cone
* non-resonant aluminum basket
* Santoprene rubber surround
* dual 4-ohm voice coils for wiring flexibility
* frequency response 24-100 Hz
* power range 75-600 watts RMS (300 watts per coil)
* peak power handling 1,200 watts
* sensitivity 85.6 dB SPL
* top-mount depth 6-5/16"
* sealed box volume 0.66-1.0 cubic feet
* ported box volume 1.25-2.25 cubic feet
* Recommended Q-Logic Box Type: none
* 1-year warranty

Where to purchase
While a great deal of shops carry the Kicker product line, many only carry so many different varieties of speaker in their shops at a time. It's far cheaper for them to buy 100 of a particular speaker style than it is to try and carry 4 speakers of 25 different styles. So a lot of times you will find yourself trying to order speakers through the shop itself, paying a premium in the process. Generally your local shops are going to be substantially more expensive anyway.

The best method of purchasing subwoofers is to go online and purchase them through a company such as crutchfield.com if you are inexperienced and are going to attempt to install them yourself. They will give you all of the product information that you need to adequately install the products that you purchase with relative ease. The experts that they have are also extremely knowledgeable and can guide you through any issues that you might have with trying to put together 'your' perfect system. Plus rather than trying to force you into something bigger and better, they will generally get you exactly what you are looking for by listening to your needs.

If you are more experienced with car audio, then I suggest going through the MUCH MUCH cheaper onlinecarstereo.com, which features car audio equipment at half the prices of crutchfield. Just keep in mind that the large majority of what they sell is lower end power. So make sure that you read reviews on products that you don't know much about or you could end up with a low quality cone, that could end up costing you more in the long run after you have to replace it.

Final Thoughts
If you are looking for some of the hardest hits subs on the market, then the solo barics are some of the best you can buy. While they definitely aren't the cheapest by any means, they provide you with consistant power, that will last a long time under normal conditions. They also have a quality look to them, so they will add a little flare to your vehicle as well.

Car Audio/Video Reviews by Richard Ramsey
Sony Xplod XS-L123P5 Subwoofer
Audiobahn AW1200 Subwoofer

Kicker Solo-baric L7 12 Triple Sealed Subwoofer Box

Kicker Solo-baric L7 12 Triple Sealed Subwoofer Box

The Kicker solo-baric subwoofers are known for there ground pounding bass output. However they need to be in a solid enclosure that can take high powe...

Kicker - Solo-Baric S10L74 (11S10L74), 10in Car Subwoofers

Kicker - Solo-Baric S10L74 (11S10L74), 10in Car Subwoofers

Key Features: 10in Dual 4 Ohm Solo-Baric L7 Series Subwoofer Power Handling: Peak: 1200 watts RMS: 600 watts Impedance: Dual 4 ohm Titanium deposit im...

Kicker - Solo-Baric S12L72 (11S12L72), 12in Car Subwoofers

Kicker - Solo-Baric S12L72 (11S12L72), 12in Car Subwoofers

Key Features: 12in Solo-Baric L7 Series Subwoofer Power Handling: Peak: 1500 watts RMS: 750 watts Titanium deposit impregnated cone woofer with rolled...

Buy at Newegg.com Kicker 11 S12L7 2-ohm 12 Solo-Baric Car Subwoofer

Kicker 11 S12L7 2-ohm 12 Solo-Baric Car Subwoofer

Authorized Online KICKER Dealer KICKER proudly offers its products through a carefully selected Authorized Dealer network. If you do not see the offic...

Kicker - Solo-Baric S15L74 (11S15L74), 15in Car Subwoofers

Kicker - Solo-Baric S15L74 (11S15L74), 15in Car Subwoofers

Key Features: 15in Solo-Baric L7 Series Subwoofer Power Handling: Peak: 2000 watts RMS: 1000 watts Titanium deposit impregnated cone woofer with rolle...