Kenmore Elite 45986 Washing Machine

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Kenmore Elite HE/4t front load washing machine

Jun 10, 2006

Pros:Saves water Uses WAY less soap than previous top load Cleans whites extremely well

Cons:Installation not proper, unit wobbles loudly Machine cycles on/off too many times

The Bottom Line: Good buy but wait for holiday deals and sales. Get 30 day price garantee.

Purchased brand new HE/4t Smartwash front load machine with "QuietPak 9" option and HE/4t Smartheat front load drier system also with "QuietPak 9". This is my first front load machine and replaced an older top loader style unit. So far there is only one minor issue (Cons) and many benefits (Pros).

The Cons are that the unit is extremely loud and unstable at various spin speed ranges. Installation crew leveled system corner but apparently never secured all 4 feet properly. Naturally it's the foot in back that needs adjusting so I can't get to it by myself. I'll have to call Sears back and have crew come back out. I think the unit is fairly quiet and will be much better when 4th foot is leveled properly. The machine cycles on and off many many times when filling with water and this attributes to much of the noise that I hear when unit is starting up. I can live with this noise because it is rotating clothes and sensing proper water level.

The Pros are that this unit senses load level automatically and thus saves water whether washing two garments or a whole bunch of them. My first water bill arrived with the new system and it's already apparent that I'm saving water and $$. Here in Albuquerque NM, we get a major cash rebate for installing this environmental friendly system right off the bat ($100). I switched to liquid HE laundry detergent and I can't believe how little soap is required. Soap isn't expensive but I've cut useage down to much less than half of previous volume. My city water is fairly soft (about 4 to 5 grain/gallon average) which means washing in hot water only requires 1/5 or 1/6 of a cap full of liquid Tide (HE) or else I end up in SUDS error rapidly. I think the benefit here also reaches to the environment because I generate much less chemical discharge to system treatment system. I also noticed that my first of load of whites came out cleaner (w/o bleach) so I went through the house and washed ALL whites again with equally pleasing results. Bleach is now only required when clothes are stained with foreign grease/grime/food particles.

The controls take some getting used because we are learning which function provides which temperature range of water. You CAN'T override many of the functions and make water one step hotter so you have to cancel out current selection and go back and guess which mode you need. A bit frustrating but workable (neither Pro nor Con).
I have yet to see any of the F11 error codes people list here but I know the SUDS error quite well. My unit is only 3 months old now so I will watch for problems. For a $1300 washer, I would expect to NEVER see it.

Amount Paid (US$): $1300

Kenmore Elite 4.3 cu. ft. Steam Front-Load Washer w/ Reversible Door - Blackberry Blue 4.0 cu.ft. - 4.5 cu.ft.

Kenmore Elite 4.3 cu. ft. Front-Load Washer - Smarter Clean The Kenmore Elite front-load washer 4110 helps you get fresher and cleaner laundry every t...

Kenmore Elite 5.2 cu. ft. Top-Load Washer w/ Steam & Ultra Wash Cycle - Metallic Silver 4.6 cu.ft. and greater

Using the Kenmore Exclusive Ultra Wash cycle makes this the best cleaning washing machine in its class.** Enjoy powerful cleaning performance while sa...

Kenmore Elite 5.2 cu. ft. Top-Load Washer w/ Steam & Accela-Wash - Metallic Gray 4.6 cu.ft. and greater

Kenmore trusted in the homes of more than 100 million Americans. This 5.2 cu. ft. Kenmore Elite 31623 top-load washer features Accela-Wash and steam t...

Kenmore Elite 4.5 cu. ft. Front-Load Washer w/ Accela-Wash White 4.0 cu.ft. - 4.5 cu.ft.

Kenmore is America's # 1 appliance brand, trusted in the homes of more than 100 million Americans. The Kenmore front-load washer 41482 with Smart Moti...

Kenmore Elite 4.5 cu. ft. Front-Load Washer w/ Accela-Wash Metallic 4.0 cu.ft. - 4.5 cu.ft.

Kenmore is America's # 1 appliance brand, trusted in the homes of more than 100 million Americans. The Kenmore front-load washer 41483 with Smart Moti...

Kenmore Elite 5.2 cu. ft. Top-Load Washer w/ Steam & Ultra Wash Cycle - White 4.6 cu.ft. and greater

Kenmore 3.4 cu. ft. Top-Load Washing Machine - White Less than 4 cu. ft.

Kenmore 3.4 cu. ft. Top-Load Washing Machine - White Less than 4 cu. ft.

Kenmore 3.4 cu. ft. Top-Load Washing Machine - Optimum Efficiency Featuring a Dual Action Plus agitator and powerful spin cycles, the Kenmore 3.4 cu. ...

Kenmore 3.8 cu. ft. High-Efficiency Top-Load Washer w/ Deep Wash - White Less than 4 cu. ft.

Kenmore 3.8 cu. ft. Top-Load Washer - Efficient and Thorough This Kenmore high-efficiency washer 2510 is a laundry essential, helping you to get your ...