Kenmore 64682 / 64684 / 64689 1200 Watts Microwave Oven Reviews

Kenmore 64682 / 64684 / 64689 1200 Watts Microwave Oven

Feeling Special With Our Elite Microwave

Apr 12, 2006 (Updated Apr 14, 2006)

Pros:Works very well. Has been dependable.

Cons:Doesn't clean itself. Noisy closure.

The Bottom Line: After a year together with this appliance, we have no regrets.

We’ve had our Kenmore Elite Ultra Wave Microwave for about a year now with nary a problem or complaint, nothing significant anyway. The above the oven microwave left for us had been neglected beyond salvation or redemption. Never having owned a built in microwave we took a field trip to Sears for “explorational” purposes only and came home to await delivery of our new refrigerator, oven and Ultra Wave microwave.

It wasn’t easy deciding on which model to purchase and the wide range of designs, prices and features made it more so. Ultimately we based our decision on size, sale price, availability, color (black) and features including the side-to-side turntable in model 64689. We could have chosen white or stainless steel finish but black is consistent with our other appliances and seemed the easiest of the three to keep clean.

I wasn’t sure if the so-called “Ultra Wave” technology was an impressive sounding gimmick or not, but it has proved to be an effective technology for us over the past year of use. Conventional microwaves operate on high power only. To achieve 70 percent power the power cycles off 30 percent of the time to achieve the lower power. The Ultra Wave technology, on the other hand, delivers a constant power, true high, medium, or low. The Ultra Wave Inverter Microwave System promises to deliver power continuously to defrost more evenly and minimize over cooking and those annoying and messy
spatters.

Features and Dimensions

The outer dimensions of this 1200-watt microwave are approximately 30 by 16 inches.
The inner 2 cubic foot cavity is 21.5 by 13.5 by 10 inches.

Metal shielded window
Charcoal filter behind vent grille
Glass tray – The oblong glass tray moves in both directions to help cook food more evenly.
Cooktop light
Grease filter below the oven
Control panel
Cooking rack
Child lock option
Defrost plate provided for complete defrosting.

Control Panel Features

Smart touch sensor buttons – the oven’s sensor determines cooking time and power level for selected foods.
Clock
Kitchen Timer
Exhaust fan – five speed choices
Cooktop light – high or night light
Express defrost – quick defrosting method
Add minute – each press of the pad adds a minute up to 99 minutes and 59 seconds
Timed cooking
Multistage cooking – You can program the microwave to switch from one power level to another for up to 3 stages.
Auto defrost
Hold warm – Hold warm will keep food warm for up to 99 minutes and 59 seconds. It can be used alone or following a cooking cycle.
Sure simmer – for soups and liquids
Auto cook – lets you cook common foods without selecting cooking times and power levels
Auto reheat
Melt – foods such as butter, margarine, chocolate, cheese food etc.
Soften – uses low power to soften foods such as ice cream, butter, frozen juice etc.

Our Experience

We mostly like the size of this appliance and its convenient location over the oven, although I am still a little wary of one day dropping something on the smooth top oven below. Like most microwaves I’ve ever seen opening and closing the door is not a smooth operation. Closing it is especially noisy and can’t be done gently.

The sensor-cooking feature is especially good. Popcorn and potatoes always cook up perfectly though not cooked together. The owner’s manual emphatically states: “Do not overcook potatoes. After microwaving, let potatoes stand for 5 minutes. They will finish cooking while standing.” I’ve never been able to get my potatoes to actually stand. They mostly just lie there for five minutes.

Foods still need to be covered with the Ultra Wave, Elite or not, but spattering is not pronounced, maybe because I don’t say it out loud.

Defrosting usually turns out nicely, though if one isn’t careful, the edges of frozen foods can still get partially cooked.

I once used the soften feature for a rock hard ice cream cake we had forgotten to get out ahead of time. The feature worked to perfection, softening but not melting.

We chose to have our microwave vented outside. When it’s windy outside, the venting network/ductwork can be heard chattering. I don’t know if this is the nature of the beast or something caused by the manner of installation.

Half of the owner’s manual is written in Spanish. I haven’t been able to read that part.

We've never used the cooking rack or many of the available features.

We opted not to buy an extended warranty for this microwave although it was offered and suggested. It would have been an unnecessary, additional expense for us.

This has been a good purchase for the Spuds, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this model for one’s consideration. The black finish has been easy to keep clean although the keypad cover seems to retain fingerprints. These ever present fingerprints and smudges are easily removed.

Kenmore 0.9 Cu. Ft. Countertop Microwave White 73092

Kenmore 0.9 Cu. Ft. Countertop Microwave White 73092

Small White Countertop Microwave Features Six Smart Touch SettingsThe Kenmore white 0.9 cu. ft. countertop microwave is a smart way to cook your food!...

Panasonic - 1000 Watt Commercial Microwave Oven

Panasonic - 1000 Watt Commercial Microwave Oven

0.8 cu. ft. bottom energy feed system 6 minute dial timer heating time guide grab & go door handle
Panasonic

Panasonic  Ne-2157  - Commercial Microwave Oven, 0.8 Cu. Ft., 2100 Watts

Panasonic Ne-2157 - Commercial Microwave Oven, 0.8 Cu. Ft., 2100 Watts

PANASONIC COMMERCIAL MICROWAVES 2,100 Watt Microwave 0.8 Cubic Foot Capacity Commercial microwave oven is ideal for commercial kitchen environmen...
Global Industrial
Black 700 Watt Countertop Microwave Oven - Oster Digital Cooker W/ Turntable

Black 700 Watt Countertop Microwave Oven - Oster Digital Cooker W/ Turntable

Oster OGG3701 .7-Cubic Foot Microwave Oven Oster OGG3701 .7-Cubic Foot Microwave Oven Brand New w/ Factory Backed Warranty! Its time to get cooking wi...

Sharp Microwave Ovens 1.1 cu. ft. 850 Watt Over the Range Convection Microwave Oven in Black R1875T

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. The Sharp R1875T 1.1 cu. ft. 850 Watt Convection Over the Range (OTR) Microwave Oven, in black, provides added ...
Home Depot

Sharp R1406t 950-watts Over The Range Microwave Oven White

Sharp R1406t 950-watts Over The Range Microwave Oven White

SHARP R1406T Sharp R1406T 950-Watts Over The Range Microwave Oven - White Description Sharp. Over the Range Microwave Oven. Color: White. 950-Watts. 1...

Newegg.com

Sharp 1.5 cu. ft. Over the Counter  1100-Watt Microwave Oven, Black

Sharp 1.5 cu. ft. Over the Counter 1100-Watt Microwave Oven, Black

Shipping Note: The Sharp 1.5 cu ft Microwave Oven is shipped via a freight trucking service. The company will call you to schedule a delivery appointm...

Panasonic - 3200 Watt Commercial Microwave Oven with Sonic Steamer

Panasonic - 3200 Watt Commercial Microwave Oven with Sonic Steamer

1.6 cu. ft. large oven capacity top and bottom energy feed 8 programmable memory pads 5 power levels 3-stage cooking
Panasonic

GE 1.6 Cu. Ft. 1,150Watt Stainless Steel Countertop Microwave Oven

GE 1.6 Cu. Ft. 1,150Watt Stainless Steel Countertop Microwave Oven

Enjoy microwave cooking with this GE Countertop Microwave Oven. Sensor cooking controls automatically adjust time and power. Instant on controls provi...
hhgregg