Kenmore 30 in. gas manual-clean range with sealed burners. Upswept cooktop features one 12,000 BTU high-output burner, two 9500 BTU standard burners and one 5000 BTU simmer burner.
Kenmore 71513 30" Gas Range - a good buy
Review by ktryathart1
October, 28 2008
Pros: The sealed burners and the oven beeping to let me know its reached desired temperature.
Cons: Broiler rack is flimsy.
After being dragged to five different houses, our 14-year-old Magic Chef gas range was ready for the junk yard as the oven finally gave up the heat, so to speak.
We had virtually ignored looking at stoves for years and we felt we came out of the dark ages to find that the burners on the top of the cooktop were now sealed. Hurray! The years I spent cleaning and cussing messes under the cooktop are more than I care to mention.
Our 8' x 8' kitchen does not accommodate a very big stove, so we first settled on looking for a 30" range. We next knew that we wanted to go stainless or black or stainless with black. A lighter color is just too hard to keep clean. We wanted the just the basic 4-burner cooktop with an oven and broiler at under $500 if possible.
We looked at Amana, Hot Point, GE and Kenmore ranges. Price wise and what I wanted, the Kenmore was the best buy for this household.
What I like about the Kenmore 71513 30" Gas Range:
* sealed cooktop burners
* three different burner sizes - 1-5,000, 2-9,500 and 1-12,000 BTU output.
* electronic oven control with clock and kitchen timer on the top of the range.
* large door handles that are convenient to open on oven and broiler
* black cooktop and the stainless steel oven and broiler front
* 6 rack positions with 2 racks in oven
* oven chimes 3 times when it has reached set temperature
Things I'm not fond of:
* The oven vents are set about a third of the way up the backguard instead at the base of it. I've pulled my hand away fast more than one time unprepared for the heat.
* The so-called broiler contraption they call a rack to set the broiler pan on. It's flimsy! It attaches to the broiler door in three different positions.
* The oven will not start unless the time of day is set on clock.
* This model is not a self-cleaning oven.
Things to remember:
Do not cook with the surface control knob in the LITE position. The electronic ignitor will continue to spark if the knob is left in that position.
Do not extend the flame beyond the outer edge of utensil. A higher flame waste heat and energy.
Adjust or clean burner if flame is yellow-orange rather than clear blue.
Do not sit items on the oven door when open. You will just weaken the door and hinges.
The Kenmore 71513 30" Gas Range comes with a one year warranty.
We have had this one for a couple years now. I've yet to burn anything yet on the stove top or in the oven. It is not hard to keep clean if you clean up your mess after it cools down. This range is still available at Sears as I have seen it while walking through the appliance department, but it may be a different stock number and I'm sure cost more.