Kicker Comp VR CVR8 1-Way 8" x 12" Car Subwoofer Reviews

Kicker Comp VR CVR8 1-Way 8" x 12" Car Subwoofer

Easy to place, high quality subwoofer

Nov 4, 2006

• Sound Quality:

Pros:excellent power handling, great durability, smaller size, nice sound

Cons:This subwoofer works exactly as this class of subwoofer should.

The Bottom Line: You just can't get a better subwoofer in this class without paying substantially more for a Rockford Fosgate sub.

I am a huge car audio enthusiast. Ever since my first car back in 1997, I have been trying to push the envelope on what my vehicles can do. My very first car, a 1995 Mustang started out with the most simplistic of sound systems, featuring a floating box for ease of removal, with a couple of 12" subwoofers and just a basic amp. I upgraded the deck, the wires, and all of that, but at the end of the day, it was still your basic sound system.

Since then I have done much more work, including a full car audio system on my competition 2003 Toyota Celica GT-S. I went all out on that car, with custom fiberglass enclosures, custom highlights, and lots of performance to go along with it, including nine 10" subwoofers, and more door speakers than anyone could ever imagine. There were amps all over the place, extra batteries, capacitors, everything. It was definitely the sport compact car audio enthusiast's dream setup.

Ever since then I have been involved in the industry, attending shows, working on comptetition cars, while trying to avoid sinking too much money into my own vehicles, as I have a son to feed now. Regardless, I have managed to create quite the impressive sound system in all three of my vehicles, and plan on doing substantially more into the future.

But the one that comes from all of this, is that I truly do know my car audio. I have tried so many different subwoofers, played around with numerous decks, and seen a large variety of application combinations that have worked and haven't worked. I have touched hundreds of systems in my years, and with that experience, I know what will work and what won't work.

Kicker COMP VR 05CVR84 Subwoofer
Kicker is one of my favorite car audio companies and for good reason, they make great products, that hold up to the demands of everyday use, while providing competition quality bass. The Kicker Competition subs provide a fairly low cost alternative to the subwoofers made by Rockford Fosgate while providing a fairly similar sound and feel.

The 8" COMP VR subs are great for smaller vehicles that just need an extra bass pickup. They are easy to place within even the smallest of locations within a vehicle, whether it be in the corner of a trunk, under a bench in the back of a truck, or in the footwell on the passenger side of a vehicle. With the right sized box, these subs can be extremely versatile, while still putting out a quality performance, that you can expect from Kicker.

Sound Quality
With a peak power of 400 watts, these subs aren't going to hit extremely hard, but they are definitely going to give the pickup that the large majority of consumers would require. Only the most hardcore of sound enthusiasts really need any application more powerful than these subs. The 400 watts is more than enough to make your vehicle shake a bit, but stays within the standard for maintaining a high quality sound. An 8" subwoofer with a wattage of this rating, allows for much quicker response, meaning that the subwoofer can handle much quicker succession bass hits. This means that you are going to be able to hear more of your bass than you would from a much more powerful subwoofer, and it's going to be much crisper than it would be with a larger sub.

So while you may not have blow your friends away power, you are definitely going to have a sound clarity that just can't be beat by the bigger subs. And you will still have enough bump, that no one is going to make fun of your decision to upgrade. It's more than enough power to keep most any consumer content and will provide you with more than enough bass for your daily driving needs. Anything more would be a waste for the great majority of consumers.

Durability
These subs are quite capable of lasting the life of your vehicle and then some. You will most likely be swapping these subs from one vehicle to another. Even though they are fairly low cost, they are still extremely durable, and with the lower wattage don't really have to endure the strains of many other subs, meaning they just don't break down quite as quickly. You are far more likely to accidentally put a hole in one through your own stupidity than you are to actually blow one out. It's a high quality subwoofer that can handle well even under peak handling.

Product Details
power handling: 50-200 watts RMS
peak power: 400 watts
sensitivity: 83.1 dB
top-mount depth: 4-1/4"
sealed box volume: 0.35-1.8 cu. ft.
ported box volume: 0.8-1.2 cu. ft.
Recommended Q-Logic Box Type: 1
warranty: 1 year

Final Thoughts
If you are looking for a good quality sound, without getting crazy, this is probably one of the better choices that you can make. These smaller subs provide for easy placement, while giving great power handling for an excellent sound that you can use with any vehicle application.

This is a great choice for anyone that is just starting out in the car audio world, but wants to sound like they've been in the game for years. This is going to provide an impressive hit, at a lower cost than many other systems on the market. Plus you will have the quality that you can expect from Kicker.

Car Audio/Video Reviews by Richard Ramsey
Alpine Type X SWR-1242D Subwoofer
Infinity BASSLINK Subwoofer
Infinity KAPPA PERFECT 12.1 Subwoofer
Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 3 Subwoofer

Kicker 10cvr15-2 2010 Comp Vr Series 15-Inch 2 Ohm Dual Voice Coil 1000 Watt Car Subwoofer

Features: Brand Name : Kicker Model : 10CVR152 Product Information: Kicker's CompVR line of subwoofers feature extreme power handling and won't break ...

Kickers CompVR line of subwoofers feature extreme power handling and wont break your budget. The CVR152 15 DVC subwoofer is built with two 2 ohm voice...
Kicker - 10CVR104 Subwoofer Pair Combo, Car Subwoofers

Kicker - 10CVR104 Subwoofer Pair Combo, Car Subwoofers

Pair of 10in Dual 4 Ohm CompVR Series Subwoofers

KICKER 10C104 10-Inch COMP CAR SUBWOOFER

KICKER 10C104 10-Inch COMP CAR SUBWOOFER

KICKER 10C104 / C10 10-Inch COMP CAR SUBWOOFER BRAND NEW KICKER 10 300 Watt COMP Series Car Subwoofer 300 Watt MAX 150 Watt RMS Impadance: S...
VM Innovations
Kicker Car Audio Cvr12 12 Loaded Ported Subwoofer Box Boss R1100m 1100w Amp

Kicker Car Audio Cvr12 12 Loaded Ported Subwoofer Box Boss R1100m 1100w Amp

The Boss R1100M is an amplifier that is used to boost the bass sound in a car stereo system. This Boss amplifier has a remote subwoofer control and ca...

Kicker Comp C8 8 Component Subwoofer

Kicker Comp C8 8 Component Subwoofer

Polymineral cone * polyester foam surround * 30-100W RMS power range * 30-500 Hz frequency response.
Kicker - CVR104 (10CVR104), Car Subwoofers

Kicker - CVR104 (10CVR104), Car Subwoofers

400W 10in CompVR Series Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer

Kicker Car Stereo Cvr12 12 Loaded Vented Subwoofer Box Boss R1100m 1100w Amp

Kicker Car Stereo Cvr12 12 Loaded Vented Subwoofer Box Boss R1100m 1100w Amp

Kicker 10CVR104  10 Dual 4-ohm component Subwoofer

Kicker 10CVR104 10 Dual 4-ohm component Subwoofer

10 Dual 4-ohm component Subwoofer frequency response: 25-500 Hz,injection-molded polypropylene cone with ribbed Santoprene rubber surround,50-400 watt...
Crutchfield