After many years of needing a new washer I finally got one. We went to a store that we felt had the lowest prices in town and shopped around their large showroom. The sales man was pushing for us to get a front loader but I didnt really want one because I could buy a couple top loaders for the same price and the water bill wasn't a concern. I had the ultimate top loader all picked out then at the last minute the salesman convinced us that the KitchenAid was a little better.
Recommend this product?
When it arrived home I loved it. It was attractive and new. Like most things, the newness quickly wore off after I did a few loads of laundry.
Too many choices
I should be thankful that this machine has so many choices, but its just too confusing. If I forget to change one of the knobs Ive messed up my next load and either have to re-wash or waste money. The washer washes at different speeds to accommodate: Cotton/Towels, Perm Press, Sweater/Knits, Delicates, Wool/Handwash.
Your load size choices are: small, medium, large and super. I use super about 98 percent of the time, and small the other 2 percent.
Treatment of clothes
I'm very impressed with how gentle it is on the clothes. I've washed things that most washers would demolish. I don't mind washing handwash items or sweaters. They don't get stretched out or wound up. Perhaps this is because it has a stepped motor spin which automatically adjusts to protect fabrics.
I do not feel like this machine cleans my clothes as well as it should. Ive been using the same detergents I've been using for years which worked fine in my previous washer. Maybe it's my imagination, but I feel like my previous washer got the clothes cleaner. I know they smelt better.
The machine itself is very clean. There is never any lint or residue left inside. It has a self-cleaning mechanism that flushes the lint out with the water.
I never notice any smells in the drum. After nearly two years there's no smell of mildew.
I don't notice the washing machine when it's running. I close the laundry room door while it's washing and have to actually open the door to see if it's still running.
I had a problem with my previous washers getting off balance and banging the floor until I ran in to fix it. I've never had a problem with this machine being off balance., not even when I wash things like pillows and linens.
Detergent is the first thing that dispenses. There is an area on top to dump either powder or liquid detergent in. Water will swirl around the area and swish the detergent away. I used powder detergent with cold water in this for awhile and felt that my clothes were not getting as clean as I hoped. I switched to liquid detergent and had better results.
There is a dispenser to add bleach to the load. Bleach would be added to the dispenser when initially loading the laundry. The washer dilutes the bleach and automatically adds it to the load.
I am not a fan of the smell of liquid bleach. When I use this option I choose the knob at the top for the optional extra rinse cycle.
Fabric Softener Dispenser
This is my favorite part of the washing machine. There is a liquid fabric softener dispenser that can be filled when the laundry is initially loaded. The dispenser is automatically released and mixed with water so no residue is left on the clothes.
After about a month I have to glean the fabric softener dispenser because it gets some build up on it and looks unattractive.
No more than a month after we got the washer it stopped working. We called warranty and waited a week for the repairman to come out. Apparently a baby sock somehow got behind the drum and clogged up the drain and damaged one of the parts. Apparently sock clogs aren't covered under warranty. It didn't take but 5 minutes to repair. We had to pay for parts and labor since it wasn't covered under warranty. The repairman suggested using a sock sorter for the baby socks so this problem wouldn't happen again. It seems to me that there should be a barrier to keep that from happening. I've had the machine for nearly two years now and haven't had any other repairs since then.
The limited warranty is 2 years. Be sure to keep your receipt because even though the repairman has the serial number on file he is required to see the receipt before he proceeds.
This is a pretty good product. I am very happy with the jumbo size of the machine. I feel like I get the laundry done a lot faster and we're probably saving a little money by washing larger loads.
The machine looks very attractive and it's fairly easy to clean. It has a lot of options for whatever your wash needs may be. There's a list of remedies for stains under the lid in case you forget.
Amount Paid (US$): 500.00