KitchenAid KAWS850L Washing Machine

Making a difference one laundry hamper at a time.

Dec 15, 2007 (Updated Dec 15, 2007)

Pros:Larger loads, doesn't destroy clothes

Cons:Clothes could be cleaner.

The Bottom Line: Easy on the ears and gentle on the clothes. A larger washer for a reasonable price.

After many years of needing a new washer I finally got one. We went to a store that we felt had the lowest prices in town and shopped around their large showroom. The sales man was pushing for us to get a front loader but I didn’t really want one because I could buy a couple top loaders for the same price and the water bill wasn't a concern. I had the ultimate top loader all picked out then at the last minute the salesman convinced us that the KitchenAid was a little better.

When it arrived home I loved it. It was attractive and new. Like most things, the newness quickly wore off after I did a few loads of laundry.

Too many choices
I should be thankful that this machine has so many choices, but it’s just too confusing. If I forget to change one of the knobs I’ve messed up my next load and either have to re-wash or waste money. The washer washes at different speeds to accommodate: Cotton/Towels, Perm Press, Sweater/Knits, Delicates, Wool/Handwash.

Load size
Your load size choices are: small, medium, large and super. I use super about 98 percent of the time, and small the other 2 percent.

Treatment of clothes
I'm very impressed with how gentle it is on the clothes. I've washed things that most washers would demolish. I don't mind washing handwash items or sweaters. They don't get stretched out or wound up. Perhaps this is because it has a stepped motor spin which automatically adjusts to protect fabrics.

Clean Clothes
I do not feel like this machine cleans my clothes as well as it should. I’ve been using the same detergents I've been using for years which worked fine in my previous washer. Maybe it's my imagination, but I feel like my previous washer got the clothes cleaner. I know they smelt better.

Clean Machine
The machine itself is very clean. There is never any lint or residue left inside. It has a self-cleaning mechanism that flushes the lint out with the water.

I never notice any smells in the drum. After nearly two years there's no smell of mildew.

Noise Level
I don't notice the washing machine when it's running. I close the laundry room door while it's washing and have to actually open the door to see if it's still running.

Balancing
I had a problem with my previous washers getting off balance and banging the floor until I ran in to fix it. I've never had a problem with this machine being off balance., not even when I wash things like pillows and linens.

Detergent Dispenser
Detergent is the first thing that dispenses. There is an area on top to dump either powder or liquid detergent in. Water will swirl around the area and swish the detergent away. I used powder detergent with cold water in this for awhile and felt that my clothes were not getting as clean as I hoped. I switched to liquid detergent and had better results.

Bleach Dispenser
There is a dispenser to add bleach to the load. Bleach would be added to the dispenser when initially loading the laundry. The washer dilutes the bleach and automatically adds it to the load.

I am not a fan of the smell of liquid bleach. When I use this option I choose the knob at the top for the optional extra rinse cycle.

Fabric Softener Dispenser
This is my favorite part of the washing machine. There is a liquid fabric softener dispenser that can be filled when the laundry is initially loaded. The dispenser is automatically released and mixed with water so no residue is left on the clothes.

After about a month I have to glean the fabric softener dispenser because it gets some build up on it and looks unattractive.

Problems
No more than a month after we got the washer it stopped working. We called warranty and waited a week for the repairman to come out. Apparently a baby sock somehow got behind the drum and clogged up the drain and damaged one of the parts. Apparently sock clogs aren't covered under warranty. It didn't take but 5 minutes to repair. We had to pay for parts and labor since it wasn't covered under warranty. The repairman suggested using a sock sorter for the baby socks so this problem wouldn't happen again. It seems to me that there should be a barrier to keep that from happening. I've had the machine for nearly two years now and haven't had any other repairs since then.

The “limited” warranty is 2 years. Be sure to keep your receipt because even though the repairman has the serial number on file he is required to see the receipt before he proceeds.

Overall
This is a pretty good product. I am very happy with the jumbo size of the machine. I feel like I get the laundry done a lot faster and we're probably saving a little money by washing larger loads.

The machine looks very attractive and it's fairly easy to clean. It has a lot of options for whatever your wash needs may be. There's a list of remedies for stains under the lid in case you forget.

Kitchenaid Washing Machine Washer Pump 3363892 Lp121

Kitchenaid Washing Machine Washer Pump 3363892 Lp121

KITCHENAID Washing Machine Washer Pump 3363892 LP121 Product Description Washer Direct Drive 2 Port High Volume Pump With Check Valve.Both Ports Are T...

PP850-2 Washing Machine Hose, 6'

PP850-2 Washing Machine Hose, 6'

Rubber washing machine hose. For both hot or cold water. I.O. couplings on straight end for positive seal. Burst pressure, 800 pounds. Identical to or...
Whirlpool Maytag Kenmore Amana Kitchenaid Washing Machine Water Valve 8182862

Whirlpool Maytag Kenmore Amana Kitchenaid Washing Machine Water Valve 8182862

Whirlpool Maytag Kenmore Amana KitchenAid Washing Machine Water Valve 8182862 Whirlpool Maytag Kenmore Amana KitchenAid Washing Machine Water Valve 81...
Whirlpool Kenmore Kitchenaid Washer Washing Machine Water Inlet Valve 8181694

Whirlpool Kenmore Kitchenaid Washer Washing Machine Water Inlet Valve 8181694

Whirlpool Kenmore KitchenAid Washer Washing Machine Water Inlet Valve 8181694 Whirlpool Kenmore KitchenAid Washer Washing Machine Water Inlet Valve 81...
Whirlpool Kitchenaid Washer Washing Machine Lid Switch Assembly 3949247 3949240

Whirlpool Kitchenaid Washer Washing Machine Lid Switch Assembly 3949247 3949240

Whirlpool KitchenAid Washer Washing Machine Lid Switch Assembly 3949247 3949240 Whirlpool KitchenAid Washer Washing Machine Lid Switch Assembly 394924...

Kitchenaid Mixer Latch, Link And Lever Assembly 24452

Kitchenaid Mixer Latch, Link And Lever Assembly 24452

Buy With Confidence We Are A KitchenAid Authorized Service Center Sales Services and Parts KitchenAid Mixer Latch, Link and Lever Assembly 24452 This ...

Kitchenaid Handle Bowl Lift (4159615)

Kitchenaid Handle Bowl Lift (4159615)

Buy With Confidence We Are A KitchenAid Authorized Service Center Sales Services and Parts KitchenAid Handle Bowl Lift Kitchenaid (4159615=9079) Artis...