Klipsch La Scala II Floor Standing Speakers Reviews

$3,499.00
$3,500.00
Free Shipping Crutchfield

Klipsch La Scala age very well

Jan 18, 2005 (Updated Jun 13, 2007)

• Flatness:
  • Imaging:
  • Overall Sound:

Pros:Incredible detail, very revealing
Very efficient, high dynamic range, loud
Holds value for decades.

Cons:Low bass benefits highly from a good sub-woofer even for music.

The Bottom Line: A love them or hate them product. I love them! Otherwise I wouldn't have kept them for 25 years!

I bought a pair of 1973 La Scala's (Type AA) second-hand in 1980 from a cousin. I used them at home (my parent's at the time) and also used them about a dozen times for a mobile disco service we ran. These speakers fill a large commercial room with loud clean sound with 100W. On one occasion, we were booked in a room and another DJ was booked in a second room. He was using Bose 301 speakers and came in to admire the Klipsch when most of his crowd had moved to our room. The Klipsch were overpowering the Bose in the next room, and the sound was cleaner.

That's not to say these are strictly professional speakers. When I bought a house, we decided they were too big for the living room so we bought standard speakers. The La Scala's stayed at my parents. But at some point I built a home theater room in the basement and brought back the La Scala's. They sing again. With a fraction of a Watt, the sound detail and soundstage is amazing on music. There's a piano in the room when Diana Krall plays. People usually love or hate Klipsch horn-loaded speakers; I'm in the love camp. But be sure you listen to these before buying a pair to make sure you'll love 'em too.

The only downside with these speakers is the lack of deep bass. They are rated down to 53Hz at -3dB. However the upper bass is very tight and accurate; nothing boomy here. Thankfully, the lack of low bass is easily solved these days: Mate La Scala's with a good sub-woofer crossed-over at 60 or 80Hz and you have a total system without compromises.

These speakers are very efficient (104 dB at 1W measured at 1m) and have amazing dynamic range. I have a harman/kardon avr-325 receiver and rarely watch movies above -25dB on the volume dial. These is amazing headroom here. You can go from quiet passages to full orchestral soundtrack and explosions without any strain at all. No need for massive amounts of amplification here!

These speakers are big (2'x2'x3') but look more like furniture than speakers since there is usually no grill and the bass bin has a nice wooden structure. They fit well in a home theater environment, and sound incredible in that setting (matching with a similar center speaker; I use a Klipsch Heresy II).

A word about imaging... Pull these speakers apart by 18 feet or more and aim them directly at you. Go extreme, seat at half the separation such that they are toed-in at 45 degrees, like they were Klipschorns. The speakers simply disappear from the room and you can point to instruments as if they were really there in the room with you.

In summary, these speakers sound incredible. The detail and accuracy is amazing. A piano is a piano, live. You can point to the bass guitar; no need to close your eyes. They can get rock-concert loud and benefit from a large room (but I use them on an 11-foot wall). They are very well suited to the high dynamic large of home theater. Their weak point is solved by the addition of a musical subwoofer (I use a Hsu STF-3).

Amount Paid (US$): 1000 on ebay

Klipsch La Scala II Cherry (Ea.) Heritage Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Fully horn-loaded, 3-way system with a folded-horn 15 woofer, 2 midrange an...
Klipsch La Scala II Cherry (Ea.) Heritage Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker
Newegg.com

Floorstanding speaker Walnut three-way design with horn-loaded midrange and high frequency compression drivers,15 folded horn woofer,frequency respons...
Crutchfield
Floorstanding speaker Black three-way design with horn-loaded midrange and high frequency compression drivers,15 folded horn woofer,frequency response...
Crutchfield
Floorstanding speaker Cherry three-way design with horn-loaded midrange and high frequency compression drivers,15 folded horn woofer,frequency respons...