M-Audio Delta PCI (DELTA44) Sound Card Reviews

M-Audio Delta PCI (DELTA44) Sound Card

Delta 44 Review

Dec 17, 2002 (Updated Dec 17, 2002)

Pros:Impeccable drivers. Excellent sound quality for the price.

Cons:Price. Inability to use multiple Delta 44s at the same time.

The Bottom Line: I strongly recommend the D-44 based on its build quality, sound quality, support, and ease of use.

I have been trying to make low-end digital audio workstations work for years, and finally found the solution with the Delta series.

I've tried using Creative cards, onboard ESS sound chips, a Steinberg Project card, and an Edirol USB interface. None come even close to the ease of use or sound quality of the Delta card.

The Delta 44 is a 4-in, 4-out digital audio workstation card. While modern versions of Windows will playback normal Windows sounds including DirectX audio on it, it's primarily targeted at home and project studio PCs and Macs. The kit consists of the card itself, a breakout box with 8 1/4" connectors on it, and a cable connecting the two. Software and manuals are also provided.

The driver disc contains drivers for PCs and Mac, with versions for most iterations of Windows, including 98/ME and NT/2000/XP. The driver install is painless and without problems. By following the instructions for system setup in the manual, I was able to set up my system for the most part, with the exception of the ATA IDE drivers.

The ATA IDE drivers for my Intel 815 chipset were not installed by Windows 2000, so I had to download these from Intel directly to achieve smooth playback. This critical bit of information isn't mentioned in the Delta 44 manual, nor are drivers included on the install disc. It was a hassle to locate the drivers and install them, but once they were, the system performed flawlessly.

From Steinberg's Cubase SX, the interface came up with no trouble, and I was able to record 4 channels in parallel with no trouble. Adding additional tracks was effortless as well.

I like this card so much, I'd like to add another one to my system, and expand to 8 ins and outs. But I can't, because the Delta 44 is the only multichannel card M-Audio makes that will not synchronize with another unit. The Delta 66, with its SPDIF in/outs, can do this.

I can't praise this card highly enough. For anyone who has messed with cheap consumer-based cards this setup is a godsend and completely worth the less-than-premium price ($299 list, $229 street, $180 Ebay). If I could add another to my system, I would.

Startech.com 4 Channel Pci Sound Card With Ac97 3d Audio Effects Sound Cards

Startech.com 4 Channel Pci Sound Card With Ac97 3d Audio Effects Sound Cards

Dedicated hardware outputs for each pair of channels and a legacy Game/MIDI port for older systems and equipment Backed by a StarTech.com lifetime war...

Startech Pcisound4ch 4 Channel Pci Sound Card With Ac97 3d Audio Effects 16 Bit

Startech Pcisound4ch 4 Channel Pci Sound Card With Ac97 3d Audio Effects 16 Bit

start_elivehelp_btncode end_elivehelp_btncode Powered by Frooition Pro Shop Search StarTech PCISOUND4CH 4 Channel PCI Sound Card with AC97 3D Audio Ef...
StarTech PCISOUND4CH 4 Channel PCI Sound Card with AC97 3D Audio Effects - sound card

StarTech.com 4 Channel PCI Sound Card with AC97 3D Audio Effects - Sound card - 16-bit - 48 kHz - 4.1 - PCI
PCM

Brand New DIAMOND XtremeSound 5.1/16 bit Sound Card - PCI - 16 bit - Internal

Brand New DIAMOND XtremeSound 5.1/16 bit Sound Card - PCI - 16 bit - Internal

DIAMOND XtremeSound 5.1/16 bit Sound Card - PCI - 16 bit - Internal
Startech Pcisound5ch 5 Channel Pci Sound Adapter Card With Ac97 3d Audio Effects

Powered by Frooition Pro Shop Search StarTech PCISOUND5CH 5 Channel PCI Sound Adapter Card with AC97 3D Audio Effects Click here to view full size. Fu...
Asus Xonar D1 7.1 Channel Pci Low-profile S/pdif Toslink Audio Card / Sound Card

With the ASUS Xonar D1 PCI soundcard, users can enjoy the same rich gaming audio effects and extensive Dolby Home Theater features as the Xonar DX, an...

ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channel PCI Express Sound Card

ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channel PCI Express Sound Card

Package Contents:; Xonar DX 7.1 Channel PCI Express Sound Card; Driver CD; S/PDIF TOSLINK optical adaptors; Quick Start Guide ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channe...
Office Depot

StarTech PCISOUND4CH PCI Sound card - 48 kHz - 4.1 Ch. surround

StarTech PCISOUND4CH PCI Sound card - 48 kHz - 4.1 Ch. surround

Offering the highest quality of sound the PCISOUND4CH creates a rich audio experience for even the most discerning multi-media enthusiast.
MacMall
Asus Xonar Dg Head Phone Amp & Pci 5.1 Audio Sound Card - Free Shipping

Asus Xonar Dg Head Phone Amp & Pci 5.1 Audio Sound Card - Free Shipping

The Xonar DG sound card combines Dolby headphone 5.1 high definition surround with ASUS' own GX 2.5 gaming audio engine and an on-board headset amplif...

Diamond Xtreme Sound 5.1-channel 16-bit Pci Sound Card (xs51):sealed Retail Box

Diamond Xtreme Sound 5.1-channel 16-bit Pci Sound Card (xs51):sealed Retail Box

Diamond Xtreme Sound allows the user to experience high level, theater quality sound while watching videos, listening to music, and playing games all ...