Macally PHR-100A USB 2.0 External Drive Case

An excellent computer peripheral - USB

Jul 29, 2004 (Updated Jul 30, 2004)

Pros:price, performance, can swap hard drives, USB 2

Cons:No FireWire (go with the PHR-100AC)

The Bottom Line: An external hard drive enclosure with a removable hard drive is an excellent way to upgrade a computer system, and it will never become too small or obsolete. Buy!

Earlier this year, I upgraded my computer's hard drive from a 10 gigabyte (Gb) drive to a 40 Gb drive. Since I had no room for two hard drives in the system, and that the drive still worked fine, I still wanted to use it for backups and additional data storage.

The disadvantage with many of the commercially available external hard drives is that they are in sealed boxes. If the hard drive should go bad, the unit will need to be replaced. If the owner wants to swap it with another hard drive, that can't be done. And if the owner has a spare hard drive, as I had, the case can't be opened, and there's already a hard drive inside.

Enter the external hard drive enclosure. I've used external drive enclosures in the past. One was a parallel-port beast that I couldn't get to work reliably. I had since purchased two others that featured USB ports, which worked better. But since my motherboard had USB 1.1 and not USB 2.0, the data transfer rate was too slow between the computer and the external hard drive. (I now have CD-ROM drives in these two, and a USB 2.0 card.)

The local computer store had several Macally drive enclosures for sale. While the initial target market for these drive enclosures was for Apple computers, it has since expanded to PC users.

The Macally PHR-100 series of drive enclosures are big enough to fit one 3 1/2" hard drive. The housing is made of aluminum, which helps with heat dissipation. The ends are made of metal-colored plastic. There are also cooling vents on the bottom of the enclosure, and rubber strips on the top and bottom for stacking. On the front is an indicator bezel with two LEDs. When the unit is powered on, the blue LED is lit. When data is being read, the red LED is lit.

There are three enclosures in the PHR-100 family:
- The PHR-100A features a USB 2.0 connection.
- The PHR-100AC features both USB 2.0 and IEEE 1394A (FireWire-400) connections.
- The PHR-100ACB features both USB 2.0 and IEEE 1394B (FireWire-800) connections; the FireWire-800 is backward compatible with FireWire-400.
All three enclosures have external power supplies and cords. Macally also makes drive enclosures for 2 1/2" laptop hard drives and 5 1/4" CD/DVD drives as well.

Installation: Installation of a hard drive is relatively simple. It comes with a brief instruction sheet. The back unscrews with 1 screw and the aluminum shell slides out. There are 4 prongs on the inside tray. 4 screws and rubberized washers with slots are screwed into the mounting screws in the hard drive. The washers then fit into the prongs. The aluminum shell is slid back into place and the back cover is fastened.

Software: Each drive comes with driver software, which includes drivers for Windows systems. I believe support for these drives is already built into MacOS. I am not aware of any drivers for the various flavors of Linux.

Performance: After installing the driver software, I was able to access the drives. It helped that the drives were already partitioned and formatted. Brand-new drives can be partitioned and formatted using the FDISK and FORMAT programs. As with many USB 2.0 and/or FireWire devices, the external drives can be hot-swapped. I have them plugged into a power strip and turn the drives on and off individually. The drive(s)/partition(s) show up when the hard drive is turned on, and disappear when the drive is turned off (after stopping the drive). The drives tend to run very warm to the touch, especially if they've been on for hours. The data transfer speed is excellent; they perform as well as an internal drive.

Price: I paid about $50 for the PHR-100A.

Overall, I've been very happy with the Macally enclosures, and heartily recommend them to anyone interested in expanding their hard drive storage.

Macally Phr100ndas Network Usb 2.0 Enclosure For 3.5 Ide Hard Drive Sale

Macally Phr100ndas Network Usb 2.0 Enclosure For 3.5 Ide Hard Drive Sale

NEW NVU EBAY Macally External IDE Enclosure with ETHERNET and USB Interfaces BRAND NEW SEALED IN ORIGINAL BOX PART NUMBER: PHR-100NDAS *Actual item ma...

Macally Phr-100acb Firewire800/usb 2.0 3.5-inch Ata Hard Drive Enclosure On Sale

NEW NVU EBAY BRAND NEW !!! MACALLY ENCLOSURE FOR A 3.5 mm HARD DRIVE ON SALE SPECIAL PRICE - IN STOCK READY TO SHIP SHIP SAME BUSINESS DAY 800 FIREWIR...

Macally U45132W Macally PHR-S100SUA Hi-Speed eSATA/FireWire/USB2.0 Storage Enclosure for 3.5-Inch SATA HDD

Solid Aluminum body for excellent heat dissipation and protection to your hard disk drive Macally PHR-S100SUA eSATA/FireWire/USB2.0 Enclosure.Designed...
MacAlly Peripherals PHR-S100SUA PHR-S100SUA - storage enclosure - SATA 3Gb/s - eSATA 3Gb/s  FireWire  USB 2.0

MacAlly Peripherals PHR-S100SUA PHR-S100SUA - storage enclosure - SATA 3Gb/s - eSATA 3Gb/s FireWire USB 2.0

Macally PHR-S100SUA - Storage enclosure - 3.5 - SATA 3Gb/s - 300 MBps - eSATA 3Gb/s FireWire USB 2.0
PCM

MacAlly Peripherals PHR-S100SUA Hi-Speed eSATA/FireWire/USB 2.0 Storage Enclosure for 3.5 SATA Hard Disk Drive

Designed for all 3.5-Inch SATA I and SATA II hard disk drives. Solid Aluminum body for excellent heat dissipation and protection to your hard disk dri...
MacMall
MacAlly Peripherals PHR-S250U3B PHR-S250U3B - storage enclosure - SATA 6Gb/s - FireWire 800  USB 3.0

MacAlly Peripherals PHR-S250U3B PHR-S250U3B - storage enclosure - SATA 6Gb/s - FireWire 800 USB 3.0

Macally PHR-S250U3B - Storage enclosure with data indicator power indicator shock protection - 2.5 - SATA 6Gb/s - 600 MBps - FireWire 800 USB 3.0
PCM