Malibu Pineapple Rum

Malibu Pineapple Rum: Great for Mixed Drinks but Very Sweet by Itself

Sep 25, 2006 (Updated Jan 9, 2007)

Pros:Very easy drinking; Good mixer

Cons:Quite sweet; Limited drink usage

The Bottom Line: This is a good flavored rum for use in tropical mixed drinks but the sweet taste makes it less suitable for shots.

Tropical drinks are a nice change of pace from my usual beverage (beer) and they make a good choice of drink during the hot days of summer and for festive occasions. One liquor used in some specialty drinks is Malibu Pineapple Rum, a sweet, fruity rum used in fruity drinks. Let’s take a closer look at this spirit:

Basic Characteristics of This Liquor:

Malibu Pineapple Rum is sold in a yellow- tinted bottle to give it the look of pineapple but the rum itself is clear in color. It flows like water and it offers a fruity aroma that doesn’t necessarily seem like pineapple, but rather a combination of several fruits like cantaloupe, pineapple, guava, and other scents.

The taste of Malibu Pineapple Rum is sweet, smooth, and has all the earmarks of a good mixing product. The flavor profile, like the aroma, isn’t necessarily dominated by pineapple when you take the first sip. It seems more like a combination of fruity tastes and sugar cane. But as the taste has time to sink in, the flavor of pineapples becomes more evident. As the aftertaste lingers, the pineapple flavor takes over and doesn’t let go.

Malibu Pineapple Rum is lighter than other liquor products. A one ounce (30 ml) serving of Malibu Pineapple Rum contains 69 calories, zero fat, zero carbs, zero protein, and eight grams of sodium. The alcohol content is 21 percent (42 proof) by volume.

Drinks Made with This Liquor:

Here are some good tasting drinks made with Malibu Pineapple Rum:

Malibu Rum Rusher

1 oz. Malibu Pineapple Rum
1 oz. Malibu Coconut Rum
1 oz. Malibu Mango Rum
2 oz. Orange Juice
.5 ounce Grenadine Syrup

Combine all ingredients with ice in a blender and blend until smooth/slushy (whatever your preference). Serve in a Pina Colada glass.

Love Byte

1 oz. Malibu Pineapple Rum
1 oz. Dark Rum
.5 oz. Triple Sec
.5 oz. Amaretto
3 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 oz. Grenadine syrup

Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice and shake well. Pour into a highball glass and serve. Garnish with a piece of pineapple and maraschino cherry, if desired.

Pineapple Cosmopolitan

1.5 oz. Malibu Pineapple Rum
.75 oz. Triple Sec
.75 oz. Cranberry Juice
.75 oz. Lime Juice

Shake well with ice and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a lime wedge.

Final Thoughts:

Malibu Pineapple Rum is a side product of the same company that produces the famous Malibu Coconut Rum. The main distillery is located on the island of Barbados and Malibu products are imported through Allied Domecq Spirits of Westport, Connecticut.

Malibu Pineapple Rum was everything I expected it to be and several things I didn’t expect. I knew the flavor was going to be sweet- just like Malibu Coconut Rum- and I knew it would be smooth and easy to drink. I also knew there would be pineapple flavors present but what I didn’t count on was the taste and smell of other fruits. Oddly enough, though, these other flavors are present only at the beginning of the tasting experience. Moments after taking a sip, the flavors fade and what is left is the taste of pineapple and a small amount of alcohol.

This product is much sweeter than base liquors and this sweetness level could be a turnoff to some people. The body of this liquor is medium to light in consistency and combined with the sweet taste produces a liquor that is very easy to drink by the shot or on the rocks. This quality can be both good and bad. There is very little alcohol burn and the smoothness means it is more easy- drinking than most liquors. But the ease of consumption can be risky because it means the liquor is very easy to consume in large quantities.

I love the taste of pineapples and Malibu Pineapple Rum certainly offers its share of pineapple taste. I prefer using this rum for mixed drinks more than anything, even though I know it is very easy drinking and makes a good shot. The reason I don’t prefer it for a shot is because of the sweetness level. The excessive amount of sugar could get very nauseating very quickly if shots are consumed. Malibu Pineapple Rum seems more at home when added to a mixed drink. It isn’t surprising that many specialty drinks that call for Malibu Pineapple Rum also call for another Malibu Rum, like Malibu Coconut Rum, Malibu Passion Fruit Rum, or Malibu Mango Rum. These flavors seem to go together and they make a good choice for mixers.

Besides the sweet taste, one other reason for the lower alcohol burn in the finish is the obvious fact that the alcohol level is low. At only 42 proof, Malibu Pineapple Rum has about half the alcohol level of most distilled spirits. This helps keep the price a little lower and it also helps keep consumers more in control. With half the alcohol, there is less chance for over consumption and less chance for ill effects.

Overall, Malibu Pineapple Rum is a good product that makes a good choice of mixer for many different tropical drinks. I don’t like shots so much because the sweetness level can be overwhelming. But added to a sweet, tropical beverage this flavored rum can add a tasty dimension to an already delicious drink, making the drink even more exotic and more enjoyable than before.

Be Sure to Click the Links Below to Read Reviews of Other Malibu Products:

Malibu Passion Fruit Rum

Malibu Mango Rum

Malibu Coconut Rum

Malibu Island Melon Scented Lip Balm Spf 15 Malibu Rum

Malibu Island Melon Scented Lip Balm Spf 15 Malibu Rum

Malibu Scented Lip Balm SPF 15 ~ Island Melon brand new and sealed

Spiced Rum Essence (Similar to Captain Morgan)

Spiced Rum Essence (Similar to Captain Morgan)

4 oz bottle contains everything you need to make great tasting Spiced Rum except the alcohol. You add 3 cups of vodka, shake and serve. Makes 1 liter ...
Captain Morgan Rum Mirror Condition Free Shipping Approx. 16 X 20 Inches

Captain Morgan Rum Mirror Condition Free Shipping Approx. 16 X 20 Inches

Shipping is FREE to anywhere in the continental USA. NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING!! Thank you!!!

Malibu Munch Fruit Gift

Malibu Munch Fruit Gift

Malibu Munch Fruit Gift - Simple and exceptional this charming gift box features fresh Comice pears Braeburn Apples Roasted Almonds and a beautiful gi...
Liquor Bottle Lamp Captain Morgan Spiced Rum

Liquor Bottle Lamp Captain Morgan Spiced Rum

This auction is for a lamp made out of a alcohol bottle. It comes with a shade, I can make a lamp out of any bottle. I do special order lamps, email m...

Rum Runner Cruise Kit

Rum Runner Cruise Kit

- Brand NEW items - FREE standard shipping - Easy returns NEW Rum Runner Cruise Kit Our price $76.22 $102.95 NOW ONLY Two-day shipping only $5.95 Over...

True Flies Rum Runner Guayabera

True Flies Rum Runner Guayabera

TrueFlies Woven Rum Runner Guayabera Shirt To challenge convention is to court controversy. Think of Dylan plugging in at Newport in ’65. Purists sc...

Passion Fruit And Rum Flavored Coffee 1 Lb. Bag

Passion Fruit And Rum Flavored Coffee 1 Lb. Bag

Sign up for my email newsletters by adding my eBay Store to your Favorites Passion Fruit and Rum Flavored Coffee A perfect combination of the exotic f...

Spiced Rum Flavor

Spiced Rum Flavor

1 oz bottle of Spiced Rum Extract. Contains alcohol, natural and artificial flavors, water